Mozilla 1.5 Alpha Released

Tuesday July 22nd, 2003

Lots of folks wrote in to let us know that mozilla.org today released Mozilla 1.5 Alpha. Release Notes and a slew of builds are available. New in 1.5a are a number of Composer enhancements, tab browser clean up, and the usual crash and performance fixes.

Looking ahead, mozilla.org hopes to release a Firebird 0.6.1 in the coming week to pick up some of the latest changes, including some crashes that were present in the 0.6 release. Following that, the current plan is to release a Thunderbird 0.1 prior to 1.5b, and a Firebird 0.7 alongside Mozilla 1.5 final, and continue to move towards replacing the trunk with the new standalone applications. More info on all these plans is available in the recently updated roadmap.

#1 the incredible shrinking lizrd

by permanentE

Tuesday July 22nd, 2003 11:56 PM

Windows 1.5a is 2.4MB smaller than 1.4, cool! What's going on? There doesn't seem to be any missing stuff.

#6 Re: the incredible shrinking lizrd

by Tar

Wednesday July 23rd, 2003 4:43 AM

#11 MNG Extension

by zarggg <zarggg@zarggg.net>

Wednesday July 23rd, 2003 1:04 PM

MNG is still supportible by the extension, IIRC. <http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0225227/>

#17 Surrounding links with whitespace

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Thursday July 24th, 2003 4:48 AM

"Actually some things are gone, such as MNG/JNG support, see bug 195280 bug 18574 and bug 204520"

As hard as it is to believe after years of sucking, we think you can safely have punctuation near links: bug 195280, bug 18574 and bug 204520.

Alex

#8 shrinking?

by mlefevre

Wednesday July 23rd, 2003 10:28 AM

which builds are you comparing?

the full Windows installer for 1.4 is 11.7MB, and for 1.5a it is 11.6MB. That's a difference of 0.1MB, not 2.4

#13 the incredible shrinking lizard

by permanentE

Wednesday July 23rd, 2003 6:19 PM

I was just looking at what it says on the front page of mozilla.org

#18 oh yes

by mlefevre

Thursday July 24th, 2003 9:02 AM

I see what you mean.

The sizes by the 1.4 links for Linux and Windows seem to be calculated on a basis of 1MB=1000KB (or something else kooky), whereas the 1.4 MacOS and the 1.5 build sizes are based on 1MB=1024KB. Would make more sense if they were consistent.

#2 Version confusion

by rhstoddard <rstoddard@voyager.net>

Wednesday July 23rd, 2003 12:06 AM

I'm new to Mozilla (but a long-time Netscape user, may it rest in peace), and am quite pleased with 1.4. However, looking at the roadmap, it looks to me like there will be parallel development tracks for 1.4 and the new 1.5 release. As an end user, which should I follow? Stick with the 1.4 releases as they become available, or make the switch to 1.5 when it is released? (I'm reluctant to go with betas, so I'll wait for releases in either case.) Thanks.

#3 Re: Need help? Do it yourself

by lacostej <coffeebreaks@hotmail.com>

Wednesday July 23rd, 2003 12:30 AM

go to 1.5 once it is released if you want new features. Stick with 1.4 if you want better stability.

My advice go to 1.5

#5 1.4 = long-term stable (supposedly), 1.5 = new

by leafdigital

Wednesday July 23rd, 2003 2:10 AM

Version 1.4 is being maintained as a long-term stable branch, like 1.0 was, so that companies using Mozilla as part of their application can take security and some crash fixes without having to take new features or other changes.

This was mostly for Netscape's benefit so I don't know if it will stay like that. Netscape used 1.0 (the last long-term stable branch) until the latest release, skipping 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3.

Since actually not many changes are being made to Mozilla app suite these days (as it's being phased out), IMO it seems likely that Mozilla 1.5 will actually contain little more than bugfixes in itself - so 1.5 should probably be a good, fairly safe version to use. I would assume that the 1.5 release will be reasonably tested...

I'd go for 1.5 personally, just as a guess from here, but it won't be out for quite a while anyhow. When it does come out you can just see what the response is and find out if there's anything broken...

--sam

#14 RE:

by erickleung

Wednesday July 23rd, 2003 7:49 PM

To my understanding, Mozilla 1.4 should be the last edition for All-in-One AppSuite while Mozilla 1.5 and onwards would be break into various standalone programs such as Mozilla Browser = Mozilla Firebird Mozilla Mail/News = Thunderbird .....

#19 Re: 1.5 Based on Firebird

by ryaxnb <tfgtotiah@msn.com>

Thursday July 24th, 2003 4:55 PM

No, Mozilla 1.5 is not based on Firebird/Thunderbird. I don't know when the Mozilla Suite will be, but the roadmap says that 1.5 will not be based on Firebird/Thunderbird.

#4 One year until shippable firebird? (no!)

by jedbro

Wednesday July 23rd, 2003 1:19 AM

Over at the july 14th Minutes, there is a quote stating "It'll take a year to get something shippable to end users (brendan)"

Just wanted to refer everyone to what Brenden had to say about that on slashdot:

" That quote from staff minutes was out of context. I was citing the agreement I'd reached with all-volunteer Mozilla Firebird developers before the Mozilla Foundation was announced, where 0.7 would coincide with 1.5, 0.8 with 1.6, etc. I went on to say to staff, at that meeting, that if we get more time from the developers, the schedule could be shortened.

#7 good idea

by dave532

Wednesday July 23rd, 2003 5:14 AM

From Brendan's quote: "Now, we hope to hire a Firebird developer fulltime at the Mozilla Foundation, and we expect to go faster. No promises yet; the roadmap will be updated in due course."

This I'm sure would make a lot of people happy and would definitely encourage more people to donate.

#9 Man, just one full-time FB developer?

by tseelee

Wednesday July 23rd, 2003 10:50 AM

Will this be someone who's already worked on Moz and Fb?

#10 Re: Man, just one full-time FB developer?

by willll <willll@juno.com>

Wednesday July 23rd, 2003 11:56 AM

One is a hell of an improvement over zero, in my opinion.

#12 2 development directions?

by oliversl

Wednesday July 23rd, 2003 1:36 PM

It seems that there are 2 development teams, one for the AppSuite and one for MozillaFirebird.(I know MF builds from the trunk) I think that if everbody works together, then, all will be go faster and then the final user will have a better product, earlier.

#15 changes to tabbed browsing...?

by kapowaz

Thursday July 24th, 2003 12:48 AM

I've noticed a couple of odd things with 1.5a; mostly to do with tabbed browsing. First of all, opening a bookmark group no longer creates one new tab for each bookmark; they now override existing tabs and whatever page they previously contained. I've had a look through about:config but haven't been able to find the specific option that controls this - I'd say this change was a bad thing, since there is no prior warning and the standard Preferences dialog doesn't appear to let you change this behaviour.

Also (although I <em>was</em> able to disable this in Preferences) new tabs now load your homepage upon creation. Although I'm pretty sure I read about this being planned (or already implemented in 1.4? can't remember) this was a new change here which I can't understand; why would a user open a new tab to their homepage, when the most likely purpose would be to go to a specific address? Loading a page shifts focus to the page itself, rather than the address bar (as previously).

Oh, one more pet peeve: previous new installations preserved all installed extensions - 1.5a removed them all. I've had to try and remember all the various XPIs I've installed (either manually or from mozdev.org), and worse yet, after reinstalling it, smoothwheel doesn't always work any more (I'm none the wiser as to whether or not this is a smoothwheel or mozilla bug). Anyone else experienced these woes and share my concerns, or am I alone in this?

#16 stable?

by Trapanator

Thursday July 24th, 2003 4:26 AM

Moz 1.5a is stable enough as 1.4? Can I use it?

If not, how can i use either 1.5a and 1.4 without sharing data?

#20 Re: stable?

by mlefevre

Friday July 25th, 2003 7:46 AM

No, Moz 1.5alpha is not even close to as stable as 1.4. It does have a number of improvements, so if you want to take the risks, you can certainly use it.

The should not be any problem with sharing data, but if you want to keep it separate, you need to use profile manager to create a second profile, and use one profile with 1.4 and one profile for 1.5alpha. You also need to choose a different directory to install the program, of course.

#21 Mozilla 1.4 vs 1.5

by toddney

Saturday July 26th, 2003 7:27 AM

I just tried the new 1.5 and its way slower than my 1.4. I have a cable modem speed test page and I usually get 5500+ kpbs. As soon as I installed 1.5 it bogged down to 2200 kpbs and was very sluggish. Went back to 1.4 and speed went back up again.