Mozilla Sunbird Standalone Calendar Project Launches

Thursday July 17th, 2003

Henrik Gemal and Simon Paquet wrote in to tell us about Mozilla Sunbird, a standalone version of Mozilla Calendar.

Simon writes: "Mozilla Thunderbird and Mozilla Firebird get a new little brother: Mozilla Sunbird. Sunbird will be the standalone version of the Mozilla Calendar application.

"At this moment, there are no builds available, but evidence of Sunbird's existence can be found in these two checkins."

Henrik has a weblog posting about the new project.

#1 Sidebar calendar

by motobass

Thursday July 17th, 2003 6:42 AM

Hope it is also remains available as a plug in, for the mail client mainly, but it'd be cool to have it for the browser too. How about, if it is a plug-in for both, only one install would be required. It could ask if the user wants it added to the other app too.

#2 too soon?

by mlefevre

Thursday July 17th, 2003 6:47 AM

Isn't a bit soon to be making this standalone as well?

I could be wrong, but I imagine if it is to be standalone, the download will be at least 5MB, as compared to 565KB for the calendar as an extension. If people did want Firebird, Thunderbird, "Sunbird", and Composer, they would be looking at downloading over 25MB of stuff, and installing 4 different versions of the GRE.

I guess having the option doesn't hurt anything much, but it seems to me that the Chatzilla folks have a better approach - make stuff work as a Firebird/Mozilla extension for now, and create something standalone in the future when the architecture allows something more sensible. With everything going off of their own accord, we get the negatives of having separate apps, with none of the positives of having what should be a shared back-end.

#3 Re: too soon?

by zookqvalem

Thursday July 17th, 2003 6:57 AM

Yea, it seem odd that there is a standalone build already! But on the other hand, perhap it would help with the development better. Who know. Time will tell...

#4 Re: about time

by krisn

Thursday July 17th, 2003 7:59 AM

You've got a good point there, all this will be much simpler once the GRE is ready. I think due to the fact that Seamonkey will be "abandoned" soon and in the abscence of the "new" GRE, this is a compromise to give development a kick start. As a Firebird user I've held off making contributions to the Calendar because to get a "proper" development environment I would have had to download Mozilla. Just my initial thoughts.

#5 Bonsai

by anand

Thursday July 17th, 2003 12:05 PM

#9 Re: Bonsai

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Saturday July 19th, 2003 5:04 PM

"Anyone someone posts a link to Bonsai in the forum, someone always replies with a message to not link to Bonsai since it can't handle the load. Now there's a link to Bonsai on the front page :)"

We've always had a link to Bonsai on the front page. Up until recently it linked dirctly to a Bonsai query. Now it just links to the tool. That's very different from a link to a Bondsai query where anyone that clicks the link is gonna hit the database.

--Asa

#6 Bird names

by superyooser

Thursday July 17th, 2003 2:47 PM

Firebird, Thunderbird, Sunbird... Will the stand-alone Composer be called Skylark?

This proves it: Mozilla is for the birds. ;-)

Why couldn't we have gone with mammal car names? Mustang, Jaguar, Ram, Cougar

#7 Re: Bird names

by minh

Thursday July 17th, 2003 11:37 PM

It's evolution. From dinosaur to lizard and bird.

#8 That's exactly what I was looking for

by Prognathous

Friday July 18th, 2003 1:37 AM

Thanks for the efforts, guys!

Prog.

#10 Direct command to launch Calendar?

by swingheim

Wednesday February 18th, 2004 6:29 AM

I have Calendar installed as a plugin for both Firefox and Thunderbird on a Windows platform. Is there a command I can run to just launch the Calendar? I looked for command-line params, but only found -p for the profile editor of Firefox.

I look forward to the standalone Calendar and (anticipating...) the suite of apps (Firefox, Thunderbird, Skylark) that all use the same GRE.

#11 open calendar when browser starts

by ejzabriskie

Monday November 22nd, 2004 8:46 AM

I would be happy to have the calendar open when I open Firefox. I have reminders stored in the calendar, but I often forget to open calendar.

Thanks EZ

#12 Good, but needs more features

by mwalker206

Tuesday June 21st, 2005 1:44 PM

I think this is a good start, but has a few problems e.g. palm device doesn't show the same dates as I put on to the calender. I was also wondering about when is the new version .3 going to come out, and why isn't there a roadmap for the sunbird project.

#13 Wow

by jweb_guru

Saturday September 24th, 2005 6:43 AM

Can't believe this got three posts from future times...

If anyone is still reading this post, I will personally be amazed. Anyway, if you want more information about Sunbird, I suggest reading Simon Paqual's weblog at <http://www.babylonsounds.com/blog.html>. I make NO guarantees about the validity of that link in the future, o'course, if people keep insisting on posting years after a post is made.