EvangelMoz Publishes Roadmap for the Future

Wednesday July 16th, 2003

Robert.Accettura.com writes: "EvangelMoz (in hibernation for some) is coming out of hibernation to support the new Mozilla Foundation. I've plotted a bit of a roadmap indicating my thoughts on where the EvangelMoz project should target its resources. It's a giant task. And I hope some will read this, and join."

#1 Signed up

by amr

Wednesday July 16th, 2003 7:20 AM

I just signed up on the mailing list. Will be glad to help if I can.

#2 Roadmap

by Racer

Wednesday July 16th, 2003 3:00 PM

In the article, there are various goals listed. Maybe I'm just being picky, but there are no dates- something I see as a prerequisite for it being a roadmap. In any case, I agree with most of the goals stated in the article:

- Make sure mozilla.org and EvangelMoz should work together - Promote open-source - Promote standards-compliance - Promote inter-platform consistency - Make web badges for Mozilla that work in all browsers - Create slideshows, etc. highlighting reasons to switch to Mozilla - Create a resource showing how to customize Mozilla (for companies) - Promote Mozilla as an end-user product - Provide an end-user support system (using forums, e-mail, etc)

#3 Roadmap

by onelists <onelists@hotmail.com>

Wednesday July 16th, 2003 3:34 PM

I was recently looking for a mozilla web badge type logo recently.. found a few.. and made slight edit to end up with: <http://www.azrael-uk.f2s.…log/images/bestviewed.gif> in case anyone's interested

#4 Re: Roadmap

by sremick

Wednesday July 16th, 2003 3:59 PM

Problem is, this goes against the goals of Mozilla.org. Many times official @mozilla.org people have specifically asked others to NOT use such graphics.

Any idea of a web page that is best viewed in one particular browser is contrary to the ideal of a web based upon standards, and browsers that ALL use those standards. You'd be better off making a button along the lines of "Best viewed with a standards-compatible browser" or use one of the W3C validated buttons like I do on my pages.

#5 Re: Re: Roadmap

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday July 16th, 2003 4:29 PM

speaking on my own behalf (and not for mozilla.org or the Mozilla Foundation or even those working on Mozilla that care about these things) I think that there's a a fairly big difference between "best viewed with Mozilla" and "Mozilla is a kickass browser, go get it" campaigns. I'm not opposed to either (and would enthusiastically support the latter) but I'm not sure how effective any "button" campaign would be.

Leaving aside the standards vs. Mozilla, "best viewed with," debate and speaking just of the second "Get Mozilla. It rocks." type button campaign, how effective do you think it would be and how widespread would it have to be before it started driving significant downloads? If 10,000 small home pages and weblogs linked to Mozilla downloads, would it matter? What about moving up to the next tier and getting some larger sites (which ones are candidates?) to link to Mozilla downloads. How many of them would you have to get before it had a significant impact on downloads?

--Asa

#6 Open source web ring?

by lacostej <coffeebreaks@hotmail.com>

Wednesday July 16th, 2003 5:03 PM

something that just pased throught my head reading your comment. I've got absolutely no idea how many web pages or significant web sites you need to get good advertising.

But maybe if we were to work in such a way with other open source products to distribute small mozilla buttons on our behalf, that would help.

Open Source is a phylosophy. many open source products use each other to further develop themselves. Why not make these open source ring, similar to what happens with blogging?

E.g. you partner with apache, tomcat, open source weblog tools, open source web applications, open source web sites with good coverage (such as Linux distributions) etc, so that some of them accept to put these buttons on their site or embedded with their product, perhaps in the about, perhaps in a partners page, perhaps in other ways, thus creating a sort of open source ring.

I don't know how much it is feasible, but to me it would be nice if you could.

Another idea could be a generator of these partner/about pages.

The user using a web form select a number of known open source products, and a form generates for him a HTML ready file to put on his web site. This page directly embeds button images that points to the open source projects. The button images would not need to reside with the HTML page but could be retrieved from known locations on the linked projects pages so as to not affect the user's bandwith too much.

#8 Except

by googolplex

Wednesday July 16th, 2003 8:50 PM

Except, Mozilla doesn't need to target that area with advertising. The average consumer is a million times more important.

#10 Re: Need help? Do it yourself

by lacostej <coffeebreaks@hotmail.com>

Thursday July 17th, 2003 1:05 AM

but how many users are reading web logs these days? If you put a mozilla button on let's say 10% of these weblogs, maybe do you reach many average consumers that way?

Ant what about education? There were 60000 desktops linux installed in spain. That means the users of these desktops are more likely to come in front of mozilla than usual users. If they like it they will use it home.

#11 Re: Need help? Do it yourself

by lacostej <coffeebreaks@hotmail.com>

Thursday July 17th, 2003 1:06 AM

#7 Re: Roadmap

by onelists <onelists@hotmail.com>

Wednesday July 16th, 2003 5:57 PM

I don't think it really matters what type of button is used. I don't like sites viewable in only 1 browser, I design a site according to standards. I hope my sites are viewable in all standards compliant browsers, but that's besides the point. I don't say 'use Mozilla to see my site' because it is only available in Mozilla, I say it because I want to do my little bit to advertise Mozilla in any way possible. If an IE user sees my site, sees the 'best viewed in Mozilla' button, then if they never heard of it before, they may discover it. It shouldn't be the role of the Mozilla Foundation/EvangelMoz to advertise standards compliance generally, nor to advertise standards. They should advertise/evangelise Mozilla.

Perhaps it would be better to have buttons: You don't need Mozilla to see this site, but download it anyway, because I think it is better.

I don't think that has quite the same impact.

#12 Re: Need help? Do it yourself

by lacostej <coffeebreaks@hotmail.com>

Thursday July 17th, 2003 1:09 AM

I would like a ready to use popup script that displays something like 'If you use mozilla, you won't see me. Mozilla rocks.'

#13 P2P client integration

by lacostej <coffeebreaks@hotmail.com>

Thursday July 17th, 2003 1:24 AM

something else, and it's more related to functionality.

When a program is useful, people will download it. Look at kazaa, etc....

Mozilla is here not only for the web, but also for the Internet as a whole. Mail, chat, etc...

What are the most used programs these days? P2P.

What if mozilla provided a tight integration with some of these tools? You can be sure that that would boost its usage. I opened <A HREF="<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=212932>">Bug 212932</A> to further discuss the idea

#14 Speaking proud about it...

by Phobeus <Phobeus@gmx.de>

Thursday July 17th, 2003 3:04 AM

Bad way with the popups ;) Do we need a browser check to avoid them in mozilla or do we do it with the filter ;) I think it shall be a soft way. We have time a lot of time, so better we are patient. Everytime I have the chance I try to make some advertise for mozilla. Anytime if somebody ask me about a problem they have in IE I tell them about what I know "Oh, that nasty security hole. Yeah, I heard about it, but never take the time to reconstruct it with it, because I use another default browser..." Aggressive commercial is bad, better we try to mystify it a little bit to make people "explore another world" than force them into...

#15 Re: Re: Re: Roadmap

by adam_t

Thursday July 17th, 2003 6:18 AM

Its not just about downloads, which you could probably not expect a very high percentage, but also brand awareness. I'm not sure best viewed with mozilla buttons are really going to acheive much, but mozilla rocks buttons would be worthwhile. I would suggest two or three REALLY good buttons should be officially used by the Mozilla Foundation. Once people see the same button a few times around the internet, then they will start to get curious about mozilla.

#9 a thought

by Lemerly

Wednesday July 16th, 2003 11:56 PM

go for the OEMs!!!! get them to preload some form of mozilla, bug them to death.

<http://wv.superinetmall.com/> best viewed with standards Compliant browsers <shamelessplug/>