NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

Tuesday January 26th, 1999

Robert Gelb has two screenshots for us that will be of great interest to our viewers and, I believe, a great distress to Microsoft. The first is the NGLayout ActiveX control operational within a simple application shell, displaying the boxacidtest that we featured a few days ago on this site. The second is even more intriguing: two mozilla HTML windows displaying inside Internet Explorer 4. I think it's appropriate to mention what this _is not_. This is not a screenshot of NGLayout replacing the HTML renderer of IE4. But what it does show is how far along the NGLayout ActiveX control is, and how it is beginning its march to take over a realm that until this point was strictly MS domain. It means that application developers looking for an HTML, CSS, DOM, XML compliant application component will have to look no farther than the Open Source code of Mozilla. And they will gain the added benefit of using the same rendering engine used on all the other Mozilla platforms.

#1 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by Dan_

Wednesday January 27th, 1999 1:28 AM

That kicks Ass!!! Now all we need is one that actually replaces IE's internal rendering engin!!! I only wish my programing skills were up to par, I'd love to try it.

#2 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by Caustic <jdub@student.usyd.edu.au>

Wednesday January 27th, 1999 5:22 AM

Fantastic!

This just shows how powerful the Open Source effort can be...

I'll be much happier when my Intranet development can move over to this OCX. Not only will it be faster and much more capable on older machines, but I won't have to deal with the awful Microsoft documentation shenanigans!

Thankyou all!

#3 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by someone

Wednesday January 27th, 1999 8:16 AM

would be neet to see ie boxacid vs nglayout in one window.. :)

#4 NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by Pete Closs <closs@cix.co.uk>

Wednesday January 27th, 1999 1:29 PM

Another nail in the coffin of IE and testimony to the power and benefits of OpenSource.

#5 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by rgelb <nospam@nospam.com>

Wednesday January 27th, 1999 2:07 PM

>>would be neet to see ie boxacid >>vs nglayout in one window.. :)

Sure. Look it up at <http://www.dataexp.com/comparison.gif>

The link is slow, so you'll have to bear with it.

#6 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by zontar

Wednesday January 27th, 1999 5:19 PM

<very large grin>

#7 Re:

by adamv

Wednesday January 27th, 1999 5:56 PM

Great! We can look forward to a Netscape NeoPlanet style chromed out browser soon!

#8 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by crincon <crincon@et.com.mx>

Wednesday January 27th, 1999 6:39 PM

Man, I *enjoyed* that! :-)

#9 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by arielb

Wednesday January 27th, 1999 9:23 PM

ok it seems that the second link reveals that the righthand page isn't rendering properly.

#10 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by Shashi Narain

Thursday January 28th, 1999 3:00 AM

In reply to arielb...the right-hand page is not rendered correctly because of an error on my part in the design of the page. The error has now been corrected and should render without problems :-)

#11 Go Netscape!

by Tekhir

Thursday January 28th, 1999 10:47 AM

Netscape's New Motto:

"We're everywere and we can do everything."

#12 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by arielb

Thursday January 28th, 1999 9:49 PM

oh guess what..I just saw a Netscape commercial on tv while watching Leno

#13 NGLayout ActiveX Control?

by SuperSamat

Thursday January 28th, 1999 10:56 PM

Just wondering... Where exactly IS the NGLayout ActiveX Control? The source is in the CVS tree and the downloadable source, but I can't seem to find it in the Win32 binaries.

I don't have VC too compile it, so, anyone know where I can get a compiled version?

#14 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by George <beg1@netscape.net>

Thursday January 28th, 1999 11:50 PM

what was the commercial about? Did they talk about Netcenter??

#15 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by arielb

Friday January 29th, 1999 1:06 AM

yup. snazzy music too

#16 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by SomeSmartAss <patdenny@magma.ca>

Friday January 29th, 1999 6:55 AM

info on the MozillaControl ActiveX is right here <http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm>

Also wondering if there are plans to make a MizillaPlugin so that we could imbed the rendering angin in older Netscape versions ;)

#17 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by SomeSmartAss

Friday January 29th, 1999 6:58 AM

those two horendous typo's were supposed to be "MozillaPlugin" and "rendering engine"

(stupid stubby fingers)

#18 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by rgelb <nospam@nospam.com>

Friday January 29th, 1999 10:20 AM

>>Where is the NG Layout Control???

It is part of the binaries download. The control is called MozillaControl.dll

In Visual Basic, load it through the references, not components. Also, you must set the PATH variable that points to the folder where the control is located. Obviously, register the control beforehand.

#19 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by Guy Murphy <guy_murphy@dialog.com>

Monday February 1st, 1999 4:04 AM

So let me get this straight....

I no longer need a netscape browser. I can use IE5, and if I ever need to simply use the Gecko ActiveX control transparently in most cases.

Hurray! Say the Gecko camp. Except now everybody is using IE5 because they can get the best of both worlds with IE5. They only get one side with the NS browser.

The next bit is the interesting one. As a web developer I know that because everyone has IE5 all those lovely proprietry extensions are far more viable.... CSS expressions, behaviours etc.

As the tide turns, implimentation of pages for IE5 extensions increases, first on intranet development, then increasingly onto the Web.

You guys are excited by this?

#20 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by SomeSmartAss

Monday February 1st, 1999 7:38 AM

Hmmmmmm...... I thing you missed the point a bit Guy. The way I see it, you don't need IE. Up to now, IE had the distinction of being used as a rendering engine for various third party programs.. (ie HomeSite). But this has changed. Now, not only can a programer choose to go with either, they can (and probably will) SHIP with the gecko engine.

Also, as per proprietary IE tags. I think its likely the opposite will happen. Web designers will choose to go with only one standard, Gecko. If someone views the page with Netscape 5, things are hunky dorey, If they choose to view it with IE x.x, then web designers simply need to add a second start page that contains the embeded Gecko engine. No IE Proprietary stuff at all...

Now, as I mentioned before, if someone could create a MozillaPlugin for earier versions of Netscape, then all browsers will truely be equal.....

(sound of Angels singing in the background)

#21 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by rgelb <nospam@nospam.com>

Monday February 1st, 1999 10:40 AM

As the host said in the beginning, let's mention what this is not. It is not a rendering replacement for IE, nor is it a plug-in engine for any of the earlier NS browsers. Why would someone use Gecko inside IE is beyond me and you will see very very few pages that do this. What this is however, is a statement that the next time, you (as an application programmer) want to ship a browser embedded inside your app, you no longer need to ship IE. Now you have a choice. To be sure, IE still has an important advantage: it is preinstalled on every win98 machine. But given a choice, many programmers will choose Gecko.

#22 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by Guy Murphy <guy_murphy@dialog.com>

Tuesday February 2nd, 1999 3:51 AM

Hi.

I don't think anything is being missed in my original post.

The equation is simple. If what is being suggested here is correct (and the preceeding post would suggest that is's getting over-enthusiastic)...

With IE5 I can view pages designed to best exploit IE5, and via a NS5 plugin pages designed to best exploit NN5. Score... 2points.

With NN5 I can view pages designed to best exploit NN5, but not those designed to best exploit IE5... Score... 1 out of a possible 2

Now I am not addressing the various other factors that make Mozilla a very attractie prospect... there are many. All I am saying is regarding the issue of a plugin going into IE, I cannot see how this is a good *marketing* move for Mozilla.

It might well be a wonderful technical achievement, but the likes of MS got where they are by paying attention to the marketing, which is more than just glossy adverts.

A component for editors etc. *is* a good thing, not giving your competitor a 2 for 1 score advantage.

#23 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by David Polberger <dpol@swipnet.se>

Thursday February 4th, 1999 5:19 AM

Guy,

While I do think that you have a point, the ActiveX component / OCX was created for use in various applications such as Intuit's Quicken. We want these companies to start using the Mozilla control instead of IE. Also, the Mozilla control can be used in development environments such as Inprise's Delphi or Microsoft's own Visual Basic.

IE supports ActiveX controls and the fact that the Mozilla control works in IE is intriguing and shows the power of the control. But IE is merely a testing platform. The control was not developed for use in IE but in various applications. And I doubt that it will be widely used as an IE "plug-in".

If anyone feels that I have gotten this all wrong, please feel free to correct me :-)

#24 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by rgelb <nospam@nospam.com>

Thursday February 4th, 1999 12:01 PM

David Polberger got it right on the money. I doubt that Mozilla as an IE plug-in would be used at all. It would be a tremendous pain to create pages that on the fly will switch to a page containing Mozilla Control. On top of it all, Mozilla control by itself can't do anything - it needs to be scripted. Yet another hurdle is that Mozilla creates its own socket connection and as such is classified by IE as high-risk ActiveX control, so everytime you bring up a page in IE with Mozilla control embedded in it, IE will ask whether you want to use such a "high risk" control.

The real benefit of MozillaControl is to use it in intranet and desktop applications. I use it in conjunction with Visual Basic 5. Works like a charm.

#25 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by Yeo-Hoon Bae <tinyguy@bunyip.com>

Monday March 1st, 1999 2:26 PM

How expandable are either ActiveX controls? For example, would I be able to "create" new mouse events such as GetSelText() and create context sensitive menus based on what users select before right-mouse-click?

#26 Re:NGLayout ActiveX Control Operational in IE

by Rob Cumming <nugget@sausage.com>

Saturday March 13th, 1999 7:34 PM

NGLayout as an ActiveX control is extremely attractive to Application Developers such as Sausage (HotDog). We have spent an inordinate amount of time coding products that work with and around the IE components. If NGLayout is available as an ActiveX control identical to the IE one (as is the case) it is a no brainer for us (or anyone) to swap over to NGLayout or offer both alternatives.

Internally at Sausage we have used the NGLayout ActiveX Control in HotDog and it took us about 20 minutes to drop it in. That rocks in anyones language.

It also means that the very same day that NGLayout is finished, we will ship a new version of HotDog with NGLayout inside and we will tell the whole world about it. Which will hopefully add momentum to your efforts and we can assist in giving choice back to everyone using the Internet.