MozillaZine

'The Guardian' Recommends Mozilla Firebird/Thunderbird, Criticises Mozilla Development Decisions

Thursday July 10th, 2003

Ian Deeley and A Wood both wrote in to tell us that today's edition of The Guardian, the UK broadsheet newspaper, features a column by Jack Schofield that recommends Mozilla Firebird and Mozilla Thunderbird. The article states that "Mozilla's Firebird browser and Thunderbird standalone mail software could make Microsoft's offerings look very shabby indeed." The bulk of the rest of the feature critically examines Netscape's and mozilla.org's browser development decisions (it is particularly damning of the team's cross-platform aspirations) and discusses Microsoft's plans to abandon development of the standalone version of Internet Explorer. Readers of the print edition of The Guardian can find the column on page 22 of the Life/Online supplement.


#55 It's great that M$ is stopping IE stand-alone

by YFan

Sunday July 13th, 2003 2:12 AM

You are replying to this message

I actually believe that it's fantastic that M$ stopped developing stand-alone IE. Remember that at any time, maybe about 20% of all Windows users use the newest operating system (it is pretty expensive). Are developers going to let go of the other 80% of windows users and other platforms just so they can deliver for that 20%? I don't think so. So, if Microsoft is planning on dictating web standards by the mean of confining IE development to new Windows versions only, I say they should go right ahead, because it will be a spectacular failure.