Partial Composer++ Landing Improves Positioning and Inline Table Editing Support

Wednesday June 25th, 2003

Daniel Glazman writes: "Composer has a few new features, checked in today with the fix for bug 137092: (1) support for Absolute Positioning (2) positioned elements are movable on the canvas and resizable (3) their z-index can be increased (bring to front) or decreased (send to back) (4) a grid can be enabled/disabled to make sure the coordinates of a positioned element are multiples of a given grid size (5) and finally 'inline table editing' buttons, allowing you to insert/remove a line/column in one click, are displayed on a cell's left and top border when the selection is contained in a table cell. This last feature is also enabled in HTML email and we'll see if HTML mail users like it or not. If not, we can very easily disable it. All these features were part of the Composer++ plan." More details are available in Daniel's latest weblog posting.

#1 Very nice!

by Prognathous

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 7:21 AM

Not too long ago, thesitewizard.com reviewed Composer and complained about the lack of Absolute positioning of images ( <http://www.thesitewizard.…ews/mozillacomposer.shtml> ) - now it's solved :-)

There are three other bugs that make Composer somewhat harder to use than commercial products, but once they're solved, I'm sure many people will do the "switch":

Bug 58730 - Syntax Highlighting in HTML Source Mode (Composer-specific) <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=58730> Bug 47040 - HTML Source mode doesn't put caret (cursor) where it was in wysiwyg <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47040> Bug 174361 -[META] Composer's "Retain formatting" preference, doesn't. <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=174361>

Prog.

#2 Awesome!

by hao2lian

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 10:26 AM

If Composer++ gets any better, I might ditch editing with a color-coding notepad (I like using HTML-Kit) or as I like to call it, "purist Web design". There are still some XHTML bugs in there too.

#3 So where is it??

by neilparks1

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 11:25 AM

Just went to the Composer++ download web site, and the latest release available there is still May 6. So where is this new improved version?

#4 Re: So where is it??

by mozzmike <mikeweezer@interair.com.br>

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 2:15 PM

The article, if i understand correctly, refers to changes that landed on the Mozilla trunk itself, which were originally Composer++ but now have been implemented in the standard Composer.

#5 Needs to be smarter

by WillyWonka

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 3:02 PM

I just wish composer was a little smarter. If you create a 2x2 table and then collapse/merge the rows so that the table becomes 1x2, it should either a) automatically adjust the rowspan and colspan, or b) give you the option to have composer to go through and try to clean up the html (I think dreamweaver has this option - but I haven't used that program in 2 years now so I dunno)

It would reduce the complexity of some table based web pages greatly. I always hated manually going through a gui designed web page because the cells in a table "Didn't line up properly" only to find out that the colspan and rowspan were really messed up.

#6 Daniel-Thanks!!

by pkb351 <pbergsagel@shaw.ca>

Thursday June 26th, 2003 12:13 PM

Thank you for keeping Composer alive! Your work is much appreciated.

Paul. :) :) :)

#7 Re: Daniel-Thanks!!

by flacco

Thursday June 26th, 2003 4:21 PM

>> Thank you for keeping Composer alive! Your work is much appreciated.

I'll second that. And third it.

Beyond coding web pages - since I'm trying to create as many of my documents in straight HTML+CSS instead of using a word processor, a high-quality WYSIWYG editor is really very important to me.

#8 Re: Why are these labelled Release Candidate ?

by GuruJ

Thursday June 26th, 2003 5:36 PM

And I'll fourth it. Excellent work Daniel!

#9 Me, too!!!

by watchman

Friday June 27th, 2003 1:28 AM

> Thank you for keeping Composer alive! Your work is much appreciated. Daniel, thank you too! :-)

#10 A Rather Rambling Article...

by Sailfish <sailfish@unforgettable.com>

Sunday June 29th, 2003 4:22 PM

Yes, this was a nice addition. fwiw, I like it so much, I made sure to include the changes in the Sky Pilot Classic theme as well.

Keep up the good work...