Mozilla 1.4 Release Candidate 3 Ships

Tuesday June 24th, 2003

The third, and probably final, release candidate of Mozilla 1.4 is now available. Get your copy from the mozilla1.4rc3 directory on ftp.mozilla.org and check out the Mozilla 1.4 RC3 Release Notes for more information.

Update! Mozilla 1.4 Release Candidate 3 is now listed on the mozilla.org Releases page.

#1 A great release!

by xander

Tuesday June 24th, 2003 10:20 PM

I'm impressed!

Can't wait for 1.4 final! :)

One thing that I noticed right away was that the bookmarks seem to scroll faster. That's always been a Mozilla pet peeve of mine. So I'm very happy to see that improved. :)

So far it's nice and stable for me on XP.. And is it just me, or does 1.4 seem faster?? :)

I just upgraded from 1.3

Looks like 1.4 is going to be a great release!

Another thing I've noticed... Gecko is a LOT faster than Opera's rendering engine. In this case my local cable tv listings from tv.yahoo.com, they take seconds to load in Opera, but it's like instant in Mozilla!

Mozilla is "The Fastest Browser on Earth" :)

xan..

#23 No Java at all on MacOs X

by vintz

Thursday June 26th, 2003 3:50 AM

Mozilla is still not very fast on MacOs X (compared to Safari) on some points : <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=189649> <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=186442>

But it is a best browser however because it is well featured.

#26 Re: A great release!

by xander

Thursday June 26th, 2003 9:45 PM

okay... Maybe it's not so great. Over time I've noticed an odd "problem". every-so-often it'll take *forever* to load. I'm not sure why. I click on the Mozilla icon, and then the hard drive starts running, takes a while for the splash screen to show up and then Mozilla.

This is on an Athlon 2000+, Windows XP, 256mb ram. and it hasn't happened at all with 1.3, which I've switched back to for the time being.

It doesn't do it all the time, but just enough to be annoying.

#2 No RPMS anymore?

by a_taylor

Tuesday June 24th, 2003 11:19 PM

I haven't been able to find binary RPMs for Linux since 1.4beta. Has mozilla.org decided not to distribute RPMs, or do they just need a volunteer to build them?

#3 Re: No RPMS anymore?

by james

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 12:23 AM

There are some GTK 2.x RPMs available at <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pu…experimental/gtk2/1.4rc1/>

They work fine on my RH9 laptop, and the text looks great (it uses Xft to render the fonts).

#4 Re: Re: No RPMS anymore?

by madsen

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 1:06 AM

Is that the right link?

<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pu…experimental/gtk2/1.4rc1/>

Shouldn't it be 1.4rc3 ?

#14 Re: Re: No RPMS anymore?

by nicubunu

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 8:33 AM

those rpms aren't made by Mozilla.org, are contributed when the contributer can, then him build the files and put on the ftp

#12 Re: No RPMS anymore?

by bzbarsky

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 7:09 AM

The RPM builds are all contributed by Chris Blizzard. I'm sure that if someone were to step up and fill in the gap by contributing the builds he doesn't have time to do Mozilla.org would be perfectly happy to have them on the server....

#5 Bug?

by Trapanator

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 1:54 AM

This morning I donwloaded Moz1.4rc3 and there's a BIG bug. I can't report on bugzilla, because I am not able to reproduce the bug.

In particular, i was visiting 5-6 webpages linked from some emails, and after navigating these sites the back and forward buttons were disabled (as you were in the first page) and the middle button for opening new pages from link didn't work, so I used rightbutton->new window, but in new window the URL address bar was empty (with the web page opened below...)

Very very strange!

#6 Asa, help!

by durbacher

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 3:51 AM

What's a working way to get driver's attention for a patch to go into 1.4 that has r= and sr= ?? Approval requests seem to be ignored - or is decided to let no more patches in?

The patch to bug 123370 is so extremely simple (puts a <hbox> around a description), but fixes a very bad bug that has only been there so long because it is not as visible with english language Windows OS. So how to get it in if no one looks at flags??

#7 Re: Asa, help!

by mlefevre

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 3:59 AM

I think you're too late - they haven't taken any patches like that since before RC2. That bug isn't serious enough to make another release candidate for. There are at least half a dozen more serious bugs which also are not going to be fixed before 1.4 - unless some recent regression that makes the browser unusable for a lot of people is found, this release candidate will be rebranded as the 1.4 release in a few days.

Maybe for 1.4.1...

#8 so unrisky...

by durbacher

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 4:22 AM

> they haven't taken any patches like that since before RC2.

I don't know what "like that" is supposed to mean, because I cannot think of many possible patches with less risk than this one (ok, spelling changes excluded). It introduces one XUL element that makes work what was always supposed to work. Its a shame that Neil's easy solution has not been found earlier. There were many patches (including some by me) which were either too complicated or did not fully solve the problem...

> There are at least half a dozen more serious bugs

But I doubt that the patches for all of them are similarly simple.

Are the buttons also invisible with your OS? The first thing many users see of Mozilla are cut-off buttons, how nice!

It's just that 1.4 is so important and going to be widely re-used...

#11 Re: so unrisky...

by mlefevre

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 5:24 AM

Yeah, the buttons get cut off. There are quite a few places that happens, and it's been happening in all the earlier releases... I don't see that it's that critical.

Having said that, it is a small patch, and if someone had noticed it a few days ago, it might have got in. But they didn't, and I don't think anything is going to stop RC3 becoming final, unless it's something so bad that they'd have to pull the 1.4 release and do a quick 1.4.1 (like with 1.2)...

#9 bad lil critter

by Tar

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 5:05 AM

I wonder if someone has seen <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=206199> in 1.4 RCx

#10 bad lil critter

by Tar

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 5:21 AM

Put this into wrong thread before, sry.

#13 Where is the source?

by ctulhu

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 8:29 AM

I was wondering if mozilla is converting into a closed-source-application. I couldn't find the source of any version >= 1.4rc1.

#15 Re: Where is the source?

by RobertM

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 8:45 AM

They do not provide source code for release candidates, which are not intended to be long-term releases--and the working 1.4 branch itself is normally a better thing, anyway, since it'll contain more bug fixes after the RC is released, or at least that was true with previous RCs that had several bugs in them.

#20 In CVS or LXR

by durbacher

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 11:10 AM

You can always get the source via CVS (see <http://www.mozilla.org/cvs.html>) or browse it online (see <http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/>).

Did you bother clicking the "Get the Source" link on the mozilla.org homepage before asking this "closed-source"-thing??

#21 Remove the bracket from the links!

by durbacher

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 11:11 AM

Ooops, some bad automation put my brackets into the links... they were ment to be: <http://www.mozilla.org/cvs.html> and <http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/>

#16 which Mozilla rc is installed?

by mlippert <mlippert255@yahoo.com>

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 9:34 AM

So what's the easiest way to tell which Mozilla rc you are currently running? Can I tell from the Help|About?

#17 what's up with the remember password feature?

by mlippert <mlippert255@yahoo.com>

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 9:39 AM

hmm, All of a sudden (I think in rc2 and I may not have done this w/ a prior 1.4 build) passwords are being remembered w/o my being asked if I want to remember them.

And in particular on this mozillazine page, after I submit a post, I then get a message asking me to select a username, ie it created a new password entry (which was the same as the one I had already stored, except that the "Title" was different.)

#18 What's up with the remember password feature?

by mlippert <mlippert255@yahoo.com>

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 9:40 AM

#22 Re: which Mozilla rc is installed?

by mlefevre

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 12:18 PM

The RCs aren't "real" releases - like all pre-1.4 nightly builds they just have "1.4" as the version, so it's not immediately obvious which RC you have. You can still tell from Help|About though - look at the buildid (at the end) - that is the date of the build, so a build today would say Gecko/20030625. The dates will be a little before the days the RCs became available - I don't have them to hand, but I guess RC1 would be something like 20030528, RC2 would be 20030616 and RC3 would be 20030623.

(and, if I may respond to your other posts at the same time, you may have just noticed the password remembering thing, but that bug has been around forever - if you look through previous discussion here, you'll see lots of posts with mismatched titles because of this, and several explanations of it and links to the relevant bug)

#24 Re: which Mozilla rc is installed?

by mlippert <mlippert255@yahoo.com>

Thursday June 26th, 2003 8:39 AM

Thanks, that was very helpful. I'm still running rc2, I'll go get rc3 now.

As to my other bug, What concerned me more was the saving a new user/password (and title) set WITHOUT asking. I think I remember it asking on every post in previous releases (which was annoying but didn't create a new user/password entry if I said no)

#19 What's up with the remember password feature?

by mlippert <mlippert255@yahoo.com>

Wednesday June 25th, 2003 9:45 AM

(I seem to be having trouble figuring out which message this post is in reply to! Hopefully I've got this back at the top level this time)

further info: I had been going into preferences and deleting one of the entries for mozillazine, but the last time I didn't and now I've got 3 entries, and I expect that after this post I'll have 4 entries. It used to ask if I wanted a password saved (I think) why isn't it now?

#25 Mozilla RULES!

by paladin252

Thursday June 26th, 2003 7:39 PM

Love RC3, faster than ever. not just loading, but page loading as well. keep up the good work!

#27 more crashes

by apathetic

Saturday June 28th, 2003 5:12 AM

Just thought I would mention that RC3 crashes far more frequently than any other build I've used. And I've been using Mozilla for about 18 months.

Hopefully, this a problem with my machine and not Mozilla. It's difficult to post to Bugzilla because the crashes are happening at the most random moments.