New Mozilla Wiki Launches

Friday June 13th, 2003

Webfork writes: "I submitted an article I wrote about the University of Houston using Mozilla a few months ago. Well, I've continued to follow the project and, although I don't work for UH anymore, I've been working on a wiki (freely editable Web site) for Mozilla. I don't know if it'll be useful to anyone but I've tried to make it very easy to read and clear. I think it's a good overview of Mozilla and now it's time to give it back to the community by telling everyone about it.

"infoAnarchy has a great wiki site."

#1 Cdn, not clav sorry

by jedbro

Friday June 13th, 2003 10:35 AM

I see no need for TWO mozilla wiki's. This guy should merge with mozdev's and help out there! <http://wiki.mozdev.org:8080/cgi-bin/mozdev-wiki.pl>

#7 Re: Cdn, not clav sorry

by anand

Friday June 13th, 2003 3:18 PM

MozDev's wiki seems to be geared mainly towards developers. The new one looks like its geared to end users. I don't think combining the two would be a great idea as it would end up confusing users.

#2 infoAnarchy Mozilla Wiki vs Mozdev Wiki

by Mark_Watkins <markwatkins@eircom.net>

Friday June 13th, 2003 11:43 AM

Now see what you did, you made me waste 15 minutes writing a reply to your post because you haven't looked at the sites you're talking about. I don't see any problem in these wikis co-existing as they serve different audiences with different needs, Mozdev and Users.

The Mozdev wiki is to help developers develop projects for and using Mozilla - e.g. How To Load XML, How To Build A Skin, XUL FAQ, and the first Starting Point is 'Project Ideas' - not ideal for new Mozilla users.

in contrast:

Webfork's wiki on infoAnarchy is to help (new) users - a nice summary of what the Mozilla is about and explanation of the features, links to Mozilla.org's documents on installation and the releases page, links to some of the more useful extensions, and some other stuff too - not ideal for Mozilla developers 'cos they already know all this.

The Mozdev folk wouldn't want instructions on how to get and install Mozilla and explaining what Tabbed browsing is any more than the user's wiki needs articles on 'How To Distribute A Browser' - they're just not appropriate. There would be no harm in the two linking to each other of course - that would be A Good Thing - but don't merge them.

Mark.

#3 true.. but..

by jedbro

Friday June 13th, 2003 12:03 PM

I sure hope it didn't take you 15min to write that ;) Ok, my bad, you are right, they *could* coexist. Although I see no reason why the Mozdev wiki could be split into to categories, "General" and "Dev.". After all Mozdev isn't just for developers, it's also for users who want to find Mozilla related extensions/apps/help/ etc.

Just my 2 cents

#4 Mozilla @ Wikipedia

by tepples <tepples@spamcop.net>

Friday June 13th, 2003 12:47 PM

Doesn't <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla> do a good enough job?

#11 Re: Mozilla @ Wikipedia

by webfork

Friday June 13th, 2003 11:25 PM

I suppose I should have mentioned the reason for a second Wiki. InfoAnarchy's wiki is very end-user centric as opposed to Wikipedias which, not surprisingly, has an Encyclopedia feel to it. Much more "how do I use it" versus kind of in depth explanation. As an interactive learner, that's key to hold my attention. Also, I prefer InfoAnarchy's interface to Wikipedia's.

#5 Why not Source Forge

by neilparks1

Friday June 13th, 2003 1:37 PM

Wikis are a waste of time. Any fool can change any information posted at any time. Anyone can delete any post and replace it with utter nonsense. Yes, the site owner (or anyone else) can reverse the changes, but is it worth the effort?

A good moderated discussion group such as the Mozillazine Forums makes much more sense.

#6 Re: Why not Source Forge

by minh

Friday June 13th, 2003 2:10 PM

You can set wiki up so anyone can edit a page, but the changes remain in the queue until a moderator approves the final product. Also, you can set up a system like slashdot moderation as well. Well behaved contributors can gain karma points to become mods.

#8 But nobody does that

by neilparks1

Friday June 13th, 2003 3:34 PM

(Sorry about the odd subject line--it was leftover from another post.)

But I have never seen a wiki where the changes don't take effect immediately. If it actually works as you describe then that would be a good thing.

#9 Bottom line: Wiki sites work just fine

by Prognathous

Friday June 13th, 2003 5:42 PM

It's those outside Wiki communities that may only see the theoretical downsides, in real life it just works. neilparks1, all I have to suggest to you is to join a Wiki, to contribute, and then to come back and post your opinion. It *will* be different, I assure you.

As someone who is active in three different Wiki sites, I can tell you that you're fear is totally unbased on real life.

Prog.

#12 Re: Why not Source Forge

by webfork

Friday June 13th, 2003 11:36 PM

I dunno... forums bore me. Wiki seems like something you can actually contribute to without digging through threads to make sure you're not making the exact same point someone else made. For instance, I would ordinarily NEVER read through all these mozillazine threads. Not because there's no value, I just want everything in front of me.

People actually have overwritten my entries but its quite rare. Most people are very courteous. I guess if enough people started defacing it, there wouldn't really be a point to wikis and then they'd stop visiting... then it there would no longer be a reason to wiki. So there's a ballance and also a critical mass on the popularity of the site. Although I guess we could transition to a user-authorized only system if things got VERY busy on the wiki.

We'll see I guess. This is all fairly new, I understand.

#10 MozTips has a Wiki too ...

by jayeshsh2

Friday June 13th, 2003 5:45 PM

Just a note - My site MozTips has a Mozilla Wiki too - <http://www.moztips.com/wiki/>

- Jay