New Poll Up

Tuesday January 19th, 1999

There's a new poll online...

We had an interesting response to the last poll. A full 35% said that they would resolve to learn C++ this year so they can understand the source code. More intriguing, however, was the fact that 19% responded saying that they'd rather "sit back and watch everyone else participate".

If any of you reading this are in that 19%, we're curious to know what could be done to make you interested in participating in Mozilla development.

#1 Re:New Poll Up

by Grant Likely <grantlikely@home.com>

Tuesday January 19th, 1999 12:53 PM

I'd be one of the 19% who want to just sit back... It's not so much that I want to let everyone else do all the work, but rather I'm already working on another open-source project which I devote my time to. However, I'm still interested in what's going on in Mozilla development.

Cheers, G.

#2 Re:New Poll Up

by Jim M. <someone@erols.com>

Tuesday January 19th, 1999 1:05 PM

I didn't vote, because I was sort of not willing to admit I was one of the what turned out to be 19%. I've tried to get in to helping; at one point I was even assigned tabs for Linux for NGLayout. But I wasn't getting the support I needed -- I needed a less-than-2-month-old tarball of NGLayout, a pointer to the CVS tree of NGLayout so I could keep updated, some semblence of when they had anticipated having it done, and a detailed description of the functionality. I got a brief description of the funtionality, and nothing more, so I quit. If I had gotten even one more of the four things I needed, I probably would've stayed around and fought for the rest, but when you barely have time to do the development, you really don't want to jump, yell, and scream to get the the tools you need.

#3 Re:New Poll Up

by J.D.

Tuesday January 19th, 1999 2:45 PM

Target that 19% with the task of Testing the browser to build the most stable/user friendly browser around.

Development is not the only thing that goes into the making of a great product. People can help Mozilla in lots of ways even if they don't know how to code. Send good Feedback in.

#4 Re:New Poll Up

by Rob Cherny <robc@cherny.com>

Tuesday January 19th, 1999 3:00 PM

I couldn't agree more, JD. Stability and the user friendly aspect should really be looked at. There are a lot of contributions which your general end user can make in these areas. They're closest to thinking like the average joe (please don't anyone take that the wrong way - I just mean sometimes the most obvious things can be overlooked).

I think there should be established a straight forward and easy (and relatively well advertised) way established for the end users who don't code can comment on the usability factors. That'd be great. Get everyone involved. It almost takes marketing. A lot of people just don't know how to get involved.

I'm not going to say how I voted. :)

For that matter, why not get them more involved in the requests for features? That's a biggy too.

#5 Re:New Poll Up

by Paul Houle <paul@honeylocust.com>

Wednesday January 20th, 1999 2:58 AM

(1) I'm working on other free software projects. (2) I'm not enthusiastic about learning C++ (Much more complicated than C, while still keeping the memory leaks and segfaults.) (3) My main machine at work is an Alpha and last I heard Mozilla wasn't 64-bit clean, and (4) my x86/Linux box is connected to the world through Deutsche Telecom which charges by the minute for internet access so I'm not enthusiastic about big downloads. Need I supply more reasons?

#6 Re:New Poll Up

by T.

Wednesday January 20th, 1999 6:31 AM

Hi,

I'm definitely part of these 19%.

As an end user, I can help testing the beta versions.

More than that, as I'm meeting regularly with journalists (big part of my job), I'm an Open Source Software advocate. Reading mozillazine is helping me a lot to provide them with fresh news and stories.

So, I don't pretend to "Sit and watch", but I don't code either !

Cheers,

#7 Re:New Poll Up

by ramdyne

Wednesday January 20th, 1999 6:39 AM

I didn't vote (I don't like polls that much), but here's the reason I don't code for Mozilla: - No cheap net acces at home so I can download the source - For Win32 coding, no machine to do so (486, would take hours to compile, right?) - For Win32, no MSVC available....

#8 Re:New Poll Up

by David Brusowankin <david@lehman.com>

Wednesday January 20th, 1999 8:10 AM

I'd like to help out. What would make things easier for me is a better explanation of the various projects.

Thanks,

#9 Re:New Poll Up

by Joshua Go <joshuago@penguincomputing.com>

Wednesday January 20th, 1999 7:16 PM

I don't know what I'm part of. Chances are, that 19 percent. I do write documentation, and I think lots of other non-coders can do that. But what in Mozilla can be documented? Are they even looking for documentation? I mean, do they really want it? Is it really needed?

I occasionally update my CVS sources and compile it on my Linux box. It's nice to see the progress each time.

#10 Re:New Poll Up

by David Ferry

Thursday January 21st, 1999 7:05 PM

I'm not hugely interested in hacking a web browser. Kernels seem more interesting (to me)