Mozilla 1.4 Release Candidate 1 Now Available

Thursday May 29th, 2003

Mozilla 1.4 Release Candidate 1 began shipping today. mozilla.org is making release candidates of 1.4 available to ensure a high quality product that can replace the Mozilla 1.0 branch as the stable development path. Builds can be downloaded from the mozilla.org Releases page or direct from the mozilla1.4rc1 directory on ftp.mozilla.org. More information is available in the Mozilla 1.4 RC-1 Release Notes. The final version of Mozilla 1.4 should be available shortly.

#1 Great.

by jorge

Thursday May 29th, 2003 9:58 PM

I am glad, and just in time. Hopefully AOL will not kill our only hope against IE.

#10 Re: Great.

by schapel

Friday May 30th, 2003 7:02 AM

Why would they kill Mozilla? They use it in two of their products, AOL for Mac OS X and CompuServe. They just got M$ to pay them back the cost of development. And they have seven years to get it into shape so it can replace IE in AOL for Windows.

#2 save your bookmarks first

by wjtaggart

Thursday May 29th, 2003 10:25 PM

careful -- rc1 wiped out my bookmarks (mac MachO) (the nightlies hadn't).

#4 Re: save your bookmarks first

by Trapanator

Friday May 30th, 2003 2:13 AM

Mozilla 1.4RC1 didn't wipe my bookmarks.

#19 Re: save your bookmarks first

by Torben <torben@despammed.com>

Friday May 30th, 2003 9:44 AM

#3 Missing 13 bugs ?

by sime

Friday May 30th, 2003 12:02 AM

<http://tinderbox.mozilla.…uilds.cgi?tree=Mozilla1.4>

See list of bugs, at this point in time, two are fixed, 13 remain. Shouldnt they have been fixed before the release candidate was made. Or they aiming those for 1.4.1.

#11 Re: Missing 13 bugs ?

by Sander

Friday May 30th, 2003 7:05 AM

This is a _release candidate_ - not the final 1.4 yet. Most if not all of those bugs will be fixed before the final 1.4; however, that being such an important milestone (with 1.4 becoming the new stable branch), we're getting release candidates first to get more people testing, just the same as it was with 1.0 (for that we had three release candidates).

#13 *Release Candidate*

by peng1can

Friday May 30th, 2003 7:16 AM

A release candidate should mean that "unless any showstoppers are found, this version will be renamed and released as final." If there are bugs on the list to be fixed before release, that means it's still a beta, and not a true release candidate.

#17 Agreed

by rothkj1022

Friday May 30th, 2003 9:23 AM

Good point. I totally agree with you.

#20 but...

by mlefevre

Friday May 30th, 2003 11:32 AM

the mozilla release naming doesn't necessarily follow that concept (and it's certainly not the only one). there have been a lot of changes since 1.4 beta, and at the moment it's a matter of getting wider testing of those changes... I'd agree that it's not really a "release candidate" as such, but they already had a beta, and they've got to call it something... I guess it could be "beta 2" or something... as long as the people working on the code know what's going, I don't think it matters too much

#5 Font so small !!

by youying <youying@gcn.net.tw>

Friday May 30th, 2003 2:13 AM

The font of Toolbar in MailNews/Composer/Addressbook is so small ! Please refer to this <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=207593>.

#6 happiness is a warm moz build

by quarsan

Friday May 30th, 2003 2:13 AM

it seems to be just lovely. didn't do anything nasty to my bookmarks or anything else - on win98.

#7 But, i can't see the speed difference...

by Trapanator

Friday May 30th, 2003 2:16 AM

Mozilla 1.4rc1 isn't too faster than 1.3.x or 1.2.x... pheraps my computer have only 128 mb ram? But at home I have an Athlon 1800XP and 512mb and I see that Moz 1.4 launches fast as 1.3.x and 1.2.x...

#8 Where's general.SmoothScrolling?

by Trapanator

Friday May 30th, 2003 2:21 AM

As described in Release notes, i went to about:config and searched for general.smoothScrolling, but i cannot find it! Where is it? I'm using 1.4RC1...

#15 Re: Where's general.SmoothScrolling?

by Gunnar

Friday May 30th, 2003 7:34 AM

If the entry is not there, simply add it

#9 Where's general.SmoothScrolling?

by Trapanator

Friday May 30th, 2003 2:26 AM

#16 Re: Where's general.SmoothScrolling?

by DJGM2002

Friday May 30th, 2003 9:11 AM

As Gunnar said, if it isn't there, just add it yourself . . .

#12 Fell even faster than Firebird for me

by spacegoret

Friday May 30th, 2003 7:14 AM

Awesome job. Congratulations to all.

#18 Re: Fell even faster than Firebird for me

by rothkj1022

Friday May 30th, 2003 9:34 AM

What do you mean "fell"? If you mean that in general Mozilla is faster than Mozilla Firebird, I would have to disagree. If you mean the startup load time is faster, I would also have to disagree. What part of 1.4rc1 do you find faster than Mozilla Firebird?

#14 download doesn't open

by loec01

Friday May 30th, 2003 7:34 AM

is it the default setting now that the download manager/progress bar does not show up? I had to enable it in edit/preferences. There are some download bugs filed that download doesn't work which might just be a wrong preference.

#21 Still not Year 2000 compliant?

by lazytiger

Friday May 30th, 2003 12:24 PM

I can only assume that the disclaimer "We do not guarantee that any source code or executable code available from the mozilla.org domain is Year 2000 compliant." is still posted only as a joke.

Can anyone elaborate on this? Who thinks this is still funny?

#28 Re: Still not Year 2000 compliant?

by james

Saturday May 31st, 2003 5:22 AM

Why would you consider it to be a joke? Mozilla.org makes no warranties whatsoever about the code it distributes, as the license says: <http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html>

#40 Re: Still not Year 2000 compliant?

by lazytiger

Monday June 2nd, 2003 8:28 AM

I understand that they don't make warranties of any kind, but we're in the year two thousand THREE. Obviously, Y2K bugs aren't a problem, otherwise how am I using the browser without any date-related problems? And that's beside the fact that the Y2K problem was grossly overestimated to begin with.

Most importantly, of all the statements that could have been excerpted from the license to be PROMINENTLY PLACED on the "releases" page, why did they pick the non-Y2K compliant blurb? Is that really the problem that's on everyone's mind now, in 2003? I don't think so. It's been there since at least 1998, and it seems like nothing more than a bad joke that it hasn't been removed.

#22 1.4rc1 crash at every launch on my Win98

by StigN

Friday May 30th, 2003 2:23 PM

I'm back to 1.3.1. I could not launch 1.4rc1 on m y Win98. It crashed every time with a page fault in module XPCOM.DLL at 0187:610f0769.

Am I the only one having this problem? I filled the bug: <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=207670>

#23 Re: 1.4rc1 crash at every launch on my Win98

by i5mast

Friday May 30th, 2003 2:33 PM

did u uninstall mozilla1.3.1 before installing 1.4rc1? did u manually remove any installed extensions?

#26 1.4rc1 crash at every launch on my Win98

by StigN

Saturday May 31st, 2003 1:34 AM

Yes, I uninstalled through "Add/Remove programs". I also did a reboot before installing 1.4.rc1. Isn't that supposed to be enough/correct?

I had Preferences Toolbar installed (<http://www.xulplanet.com/downloads/prefbar/>). Didn't do anything special about that. Should that be nessecary?

I've been doing the uninstall/install this way without problems since the releases was called milestone Mxx. Have been using Preferences Toolbar too for a long time if it has anything to do with it. Haven't seen this problem before.

#24 Thorough uninstall

by ecarlson

Friday May 30th, 2003 6:16 PM

Here's my process in Win2K: 1. Clear browser cache 2. Compact e-mail folders 3. Exit Mozilla, and make a full backup copy of my profile directory for safe keeping 4. Uninstall via Add/Remove Programs 5. Reboot 6. Rename old Program FilesMozilla.Org"Mozilla" directory to "Old Mozilla 1.3" 7. Install new mozilla, and make sure it works 8. Copy missing plugins to the new plugins directory 9. Reinstall Mozilla SpellChecker, then test SpellChecker

- Eric, InvisibleRobot.com <http://www.InvisibleRobot.com/>

#30 Re: 1.4rc1 crash at every launch on my Win98

by sedination

Saturday May 31st, 2003 12:29 PM

Stign, I was experiencing this problem as well. I solved it by uninstalling 1.3.1, then completely deleting the mozilla.org folder located at C:\Program Files\mozilla.org . This solved my problem. Does it work for you?

#49 1.4RC3, XPCOM.DLL erros and Win98

by nickbeee

Thursday June 26th, 2003 1:11 PM

Worked for me (Win98SE)...thanks for the tips guys :-) 1. Uninstalled 1.3.1 2. reboot 3. Delete c:/program files/mozila.org 4. install 1.4RC3

#25 not satisfied

by morg

Friday May 30th, 2003 6:37 PM

So far 1.4 is better than all previous releases except 1.0.x. Version 1.4 is quite stable. I do get a lot of hangs, however. There are also some big issues with memory consumption, and perhaps, leaks. Some of the 1.4 blockers take these issues on. I'd like us to hold 1.4 for another month, however, so that we can get the stability of the release above that of 1.0.x.

#27 Missing features

by sn0wflake <sn0wflake@tdcadsl.dk>

Saturday May 31st, 2003 4:28 AM

1) Mozilla's help says there's an Export option in the Mail Tools menu, but there isn't! 2) When searching for "popup" there's results but no additional text. 3) How do I disable JavaScript for individual sites? 4) It isn't possible to select/save multiple mail attachments, or am I wrong? 5) It would be really nice if it's possible to manage bookmarks by right clicking them and choose delete/rename/etc.

#29 Re: Missing features

by webgremlin <junk@transientweb.com>

Saturday May 31st, 2003 8:37 AM

4) You can right-click and save all.

#31 Re: Missing features

by GAThrawn

Saturday May 31st, 2003 5:52 PM

1) No need to export, Mozilla saves its mail in the standard mbox format as used in many other mail products and importable into pretty much all the ones that don't use it internally (look for Unix mail format, or Eudora mail format in your other mailer's import options).

2) see below

3) Not possible. You can enable/disable javascript popups for individual sites, but JavaScript itself is on for all, or off for all.

5) Download Mozilla Firebird, which can do this. Or view/use your bookmarks in the Sidebar, where you can right-click manage them.

#32 Re: Re: Missing features

by bzbarsky

Saturday May 31st, 2003 8:24 PM

> 3) Not possible. You can enable/disable javascript popups for individual sites, > but JavaScript itself is on for all, or off for all.

This is about as far as you can get from the truth. You can disable JS on a per-site basis as long as you're willing to do it by hand; this capability has been there for years. See <http://www.mozilla.org/pr…figPolicy.html#jspolicies> for details.

#37 Re: Re: Re: Missing features

by GAThrawn

Sunday June 1st, 2003 4:27 PM

Sorry, I'd never heard of that before, it's not exactly well publicised in the UI anywhere. In fact the only Javascript related on/off settings are on the "Scripts & Plugins" page, which apply to all sites.

There's no mention anywhere in UI or help and none of the Mozilla help sites that I checked that mentions per-site Javascript policies.

So forgive me for getting it "about as far as you can get from the truth" I've followed Mozilla for years and had never heard of this, in fact it's a great feature that I'd been thinking would be handy, so I'm off to try it out now on a few of the more questionable sites that I visit.

#33 Search Messages Button

by vgendler

Saturday May 31st, 2003 10:55 PM

I was trying to get back the "Serch Messages" button on the Mail Center using the way I did for Mozilla 1.3 by adding to userchrome.css (in user ...\MozillaProfiles\vgendler\u9csivyk.slt\chrome) #advancedButton { visibility: visible !important; }

But it does not work for 1.4.

#34 Search Addresses In the Mail Center

by vgendler

Saturday May 31st, 2003 11:10 PM

Selected the "Tools | Search Addresses..." In the Mail Center menu. It shows the hourglass pointer forever doing nothing.

#35 Re: 1.4rc1 crash at every launch on my Win98

by sedination

Sunday June 1st, 2003 1:46 AM

hmmm...WFM. Did you do a clean install?

#36 Fails on install with win2000

by xerxes

Sunday June 1st, 2003 12:11 PM

I can't manage to install a browser only version of mozilla on Win2000. Not only that but older versions of mozilla now also fail on install. The windows error is as follows

The instruction at "some hex number" referenced memory at "some hex number". The memmory could not be read.

I never had a problem installing mozilla until now.

#38 Re: Fails on install with win2000

by rschroev

Monday June 2nd, 2003 3:24 AM

Had the same thing here. Eventually I got it solved by deleting the whole C:\Program Files\mozilla.org directory tree.

#39 Re: Re: Fails on install with win2000

by leafdigital

Monday June 2nd, 2003 3:40 AM

They really should fix that. Maybe it is only a problem if you were using nightlies, but even so, probably the installer should at least have the option to delete the entire c:\program files\mozilla.org tree for you, or maybe the entire tree except for installed plugins.

--sam

#42 Re: Re: Fails on install with win2000

by xerxes

Monday June 2nd, 2003 5:43 PM

Thanks, It never occured to me to delete the entire directory.

#43 Re: Re: Fails on install with win2000

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday June 2nd, 2003 8:53 PM

Did you have any 3rd-party extensions or plugins installed (like the spellchecker from mozdev?)

--Asa

#45 Re: Re: Re: Fails on install with win2000

by xerxes

Tuesday June 3rd, 2003 6:18 PM

Yes, I had the prefs toolbar from Xulplanet installed. Also, I had the spellchecker and calendar installed from an earlier installation when I wanted to try the emailer. However, that was two installs ago (1.1). The last install (1.2) I took browser only.

#41 Still Many Bugs

by rothkj1022

Monday June 2nd, 2003 12:46 PM

Unfortunately I am still finding many bugs while using Mozilla. Lots of times the browser crashes when mousing over DHTML events. Also, there are several feature-bugs that I've found.

It's nice to have an open-source alternative to IE, and I do think that Mozilla is very close to having an outstanding product, but I don't like using unstable products and I think many people are with me in that regard. I've tried to help submit bugs in the past, but doing that just seems futile, as nobody ever addresses them. For instance, the personal toolbar does not appear when a new window is opened via a javascript window.open command -- and if the user clicks View >> Show/Hide >> Personal Toolbar, nothing happens.

I still prefer Mozilla, but let me just say that if Internet Explorer released a new version with popup blocking capabilities built-in like Mozilla, I would switch back to IE in a heartbeat.

#44 Re: Still Many Bugs

by Trapanator

Tuesday June 3rd, 2003 8:32 AM

There's Avant Browser if you wanna Popup blocking for IE.

#46 We are judging Mozilla ;)

by Ramas

Wednesday June 4th, 2003 6:53 AM

Please do something with fileName bug in attachments: <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=202371>

It's really frustrating that noone even paid atention that this bug exists

#47 What about Classic Mac OS????

by Rhiannon

Friday June 13th, 2003 6:39 PM

Happy to see the development of Mozilla etc... only one BIG problem! I'm one of the tens of thousands who don't or can't use Apple's new prize OS X, therefore we are LOCKED OUT!!

It would surely be considerate (and much appreciated) if development for at least Mac OS9.x would resume.

#48 What about Classic Mac OS????

by Rhiannon