Functional Widget Samples

Saturday January 9th, 1999

Bill Lynch took the current widget samples and created an interesting demo of how the widgets will look and react on an HTML page. To view Bill's widget guide, click here.

Bill writes, "I was interested by the new set of widgets that was posted recently at Mozilla.org. Using the image there, I made a widget guide. I think it gives a better idea of how the widgets would look and feel. Enjoy!"

#1 Re:Functional Widget Samples

by Tucknut

Saturday January 9th, 1999 8:50 PM

Wow, that's pretty cool. Thanks.

#2 Re:Functional Widget Samples

by Tintsch Keller <tintsch@hotmail.com>

Sunday January 10th, 1999 5:05 AM

looks really cool. But please remove the mouseOver-effects (it's the same Micro$oft did in Office 97...)

Anyway, great job - carry on

#3 Re:Functional Widget Samples

by Paul D <p@linux.nu>

Sunday January 10th, 1999 9:45 AM

WOW! I'm impressed of how clean, functional and beutiful they look!

#4 Re:Functional Widget Samples

by john k. <erase@netscape.net>

Sunday January 10th, 1999 3:03 PM

> looks really cool. But please > remove the mouseOver-effects > (it's the same Micro$oft did in > Office 97...)

the mouseOver ain't bad. just because MS has done it, doesn't automatically make it an evil practice (this from a linux die-hard).

#5 re: mouseovers

by arielb

Monday January 11th, 1999 4:29 AM

as long as you know that it's a button or whatever before the mouseover I'm happy. That's the biggest change since the first version

#6 Re:Functional Widget Samples

by Mad

Monday January 11th, 1999 5:18 AM

Doesn't anyone mind how small these widgets are? There is a lot of talk about making the Web accessible to all, and yet we have a series of widgets in an 8 point font. I hope there is a way to resize those...

#7 Re:Functional Widget Samples

by SomeSmartAss

Monday January 11th, 1999 7:21 AM

> we have a series of widgets in an 8 point font.

Yes, I concur, however, I think that, unless specified by the designer, the font, size and attributes should default to the user/system preferences... It is currently possible to resize buttons and such by specifying a larger/smaller font size/face, I don't think that will disapear.

#8 Re:Functional Widget Samples

by SomeSmartAss <improv@magma.ca>

Monday January 11th, 1999 8:19 AM

I Just went to the W# site to review the CSS2 specs (albeit breifly) I was wondering how a designer could specify the non-standard colours? I'm talking about the outline colour on a mouse-over event, the selected-text back and fore colour; specifying the background colour of the scroll bar buttons, as opposed to the the background colour of the list text in a listbox widget....?

Just wondering...

#9 Re:

by Sjoerd Visscher <sjoerd@heeten.nl>

Tuesday January 12th, 1999 4:46 AM

I agree, and how could one disable the round corners?

#10 Re:Functional Widget Samples

by SomeSmartAss <improv@magma.ca>

Tuesday January 12th, 1999 9:16 AM

>how could one disable the round corners? to my thinking, you don't. even if mozilla's implimentation of the CSS standards allows for color change of widgets, the over all look of these object should not change. If you realy don't like the look, use gif images and mouse events.

My real concurn with non-standard type colours was this;

if you allow the designer to change certain aspects of a widget (e.g. basic backgroung color and such), while leaving other aspects handled by the OS/User prefs(e.g. selected text back and fore colours), then you may have instances where these designer & pref colours render the widgets unreadable or dificult to use (e.g., a designer forcing the font colour and background colour to look like you default Windows "selected" white on blue in a listbox)

While I'm raising these usability questions. can I to assume that the <button> object will use the same widget as the regular <input type=button/submit/reset> object, or at least have a similar look & feel. Currently, in Gecko and the nightly builds, it looks like a layer with a frame, not a button.

#11 Re:Functional Widget Samples

by Robin Stephenson <quux @ usa.net>

Thursday January 14th, 1999 3:04 AM

I don't think much to the mouseover effects. I have a problem with having to wave the mouse about to see what's an active control on the web page, and I don't much go for the distracting flickering effect either. This could be made configurable (default: off..?) without affecting the look and feel too severely, couldn't it?

Still no sign of the textarea widget... and how are keybindings going to work?

#12 Re:Functional Widget Samples

by a zimmerman

Monday January 18th, 1999 2:30 PM

I like the "popdown" widget. its doesn't look like you can enter text into it like the standard windows GUI does. for this reason i'd avoid the combo box from looking like the current windows popdown. i would distinguish it from the regular popdown in some other way. perhaps having the arrow look a little more distinct from the text than the regular popdown would suffice. i'm sure others can come up with other suggestions. just don't make the widget look like it does something it doesn't!

also make sure you can override the colors/text with CSS. i think this is planned, but just wanted to chime in with it.

i'm not sure about the rollovers either. they may be a nice supplemental feature, but don't depend on the user doing a mouseover to verify it. in fact, i would bet most users would think its a link when they do a mouseover. maybe its better to just drop this out.

will these widgets all be default gray or will they match the OS's default system colors? for example, on the mac a user can use Kaleidoscope to change the default system colors for things such as windows. This is part of the Apple platinum interface. IE 4.5 adopted this so the windows and other user interface elements match the rest of the ui. I *think* ms plus does something similar on Windows. If the user's windows are blue, the widgets should not be gray, but blue.