Most People Agree: Phallus is a Really Bad Name for a Browser

Thursday April 3rd, 2003

For our last poll, we gave you a selection of the more, er, interesting suggestions for Phoenix's new name and asked you to pick the worse. 3,436 of you rose to the challenge, with Phallus coming first with 27% of the vote. Clint Eastwood was next with 18%, followed by Surfzilla on 12%. Cthulhu and MozJunior both received a 9% vote share, while Feenix and the insect-related Lepidoptera both got 6%. Last place was practically an honour in this contest and was hotly fought-over by Dodo, Fred and Duck (all 3%), with Duck just gaining the coveted spot. Phoenix's real new name will be announced soon.

Yesterday was a major day in the history of the Mozilla project with the unveiling of the new Roadmap. All large changes have their supporters and opposers, so we'd like you to tell us where you stand on the proposals. Make your decision, vote and watch the latest poll results to see what others think.

#1 I'm kind of too scared to ask...

by neva <neva@corvaith.com>

Thursday April 3rd, 2003 9:47 PM

...but what kind of person would even suggest Phallus as the replacement name?

I mean, really.

Duck would have been not too bad. I like ducks. People in general like ducks. My forum readers actually specifically requested a 'smiley' image of a duck. It's very cute. Duck would have become a browser beloved by everyone, I'm sure. Alas!

It's just a good word.

Duck!

*coughs*

I wish they'd announce already, though. This is getting vaguely irksome, and I'm not even much of a Phoenix user. (I keep trying it, and it never works out very well. Little things drive me batty.)

#7 Re: I'm kind of too scared to ask...

by jilles

Friday April 4th, 2003 6:28 AM

Yeah duck is good. We already have firebird (phoenix), thunderbird (codename for minotaur). It's logical to now have a waterbird :-).

#10 Re: Re: I'm kind of too scared to ask...

by WillyWonka

Friday April 4th, 2003 7:53 AM

I want a Canada Goose browser.

#8 Yes, but what kind of duck? N/T

by unclebob <bradleyjquinn@hotmail.com>

Friday April 4th, 2003 7:12 AM

Mallard?

#2 Disney

by complinguist

Thursday April 3rd, 2003 11:11 PM

If a phallus is good enough for Disney, why not for Mozilla.org? <http://www.blooperfiles.c…lms/thelittlemermaid.html> :o)

#3 Re: Disney

by MozSaidAloha

Thursday April 3rd, 2003 11:32 PM

Here's a link debunking this rumor:

<http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/mermaid.htm>

#4 Be careful

by milano13

Friday April 4th, 2003 12:55 AM

I don't know in english language but in italian language *Phallus* means *Dick*. I don't know in Italy how many people would like to browse with a web-client called *Dick*.

#5 Re: Be careful

by Down8 <down8@yahoo.com>

Friday April 4th, 2003 2:43 AM

Same in english. Hence the "worse" standing.

-bZj

#6 Be decent, dude. ;-)

by DeepFreeze3

Friday April 4th, 2003 3:58 AM

Actually, I think phallus is latin for the English word "penius" ... obviously not a good name for anything, including a renamed Phoenix. Maybe, though, the boys over at Apple would like it as a backup name for their lame Safari browser. ;-)

#12 Insults in every post?

by googolplex

Friday April 4th, 2003 9:07 AM

Do you have to insult safari in every post? Stop trolling.

#9 At least it was named Phallus for a day...

by djst

Friday April 4th, 2003 7:36 AM

#11 Is this something only US people understand?

by johann_p

Friday April 4th, 2003 9:01 AM

I really don't get this - do people think it is funny to see a word that usually is beeped over on TV stations in the US is used for a browser or what is going on here? If duck did that well, maybe you should try and choose dick? I dont even mention the sexist aspect of proposing phallus instead of vagina here.

#13 Re: Is this something only US people understand?

by warenhaus

Friday April 4th, 2003 12:05 PM

"Phallus" is getting beeped over on TV in the US ???

#14 What's wrong with Phoenix anyway?

by zorinlynx

Sunday April 6th, 2003 10:45 AM

Last I heard, trademarks on common words can only be enforced if the two entities that use the word are in the same business. Mozilla and Phoenix Technologies clearly aren't.

Comments?

#15 Re: What's wrong with Phoenix anyway?

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Monday April 7th, 2003 3:37 AM

"As far as I know, Phoenix the company makes BIOSes, and Mozilla's Phoenix is a web browser. How do they two compete in any shape or form?"

Phoenix Technologies make a Web browser for their BIOSes (called FirstView Connect or something). The idea is that if your OS fails to start one morning, you can connect to the Internet and download fixes or whatever.

Alex