Mozilla 1.4 Alpha Released

Tuesday April 1st, 2003

Mozilla 1.4 Alpha is here! This release has around 1,000 bug fixes and several new features, including smooth scrolling (disabled by default) and real-time image and table resizing in Composer. There's also support for NTLM authentication on Windows and improvements have been made to Mozilla's Junk Mail Controls and popup blocking features. If that's not enough for you, P3P support is now in there and you should encounter far fewer bookmarking woes with the major changes that have been made to the bookmarks code. Check out the Release Notes for more information and grab a build from the mozilla.org releases page or FTP site, bearing in mind that this is an alpha-quality release.

#1 congratulations and keep up the good work!

by egoine

Tuesday April 1st, 2003 9:14 PM

enough said. will now go download.. :)

#2 Okay, but...

by gssq <gabrielseah@hotmail.com>

Tuesday April 1st, 2003 9:56 PM

Smooth scrolling is a little... rough?

Ctrl + L doesn't work

And I don't want my new tabs to open my homepage, dammit! New tabs are meant for surfing, but opening the browser for the first time, I want to check my mail.

Gah.

Otherwise, looking good :) Bookmarks finally rock.

#3 Re: Okay, but...

by egoine

Tuesday April 1st, 2003 10:44 PM

Ctrl + L Works For Me.

#4 Re: Okay, but...

by neil

Tuesday April 1st, 2003 10:49 PM

I haven't seen a bug for it, but windows xp is funny with focus when you minimize then maximize a mozilla window. sometimes you can't get focus to mozilla without clicking on the content.

#20 Re: Okay, but...

by Tar

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 9:40 AM

#7 Re: Okay, but...

by morg

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 2:17 AM

Ctrl+L is only broken right after you open a new tab.

It sucks.

#24 Re: New tabs opening home page...

by Ascaris <ascaris1@att.net>

Thursday April 3rd, 2003 7:08 AM

I am glad they finally made the new tabs open the home page. My home page is a local HTML file that contains links to all of my favorite places... I use this instead of the bookmarks toolbar or the bookmarks in general. Opening blank pages was annoying... it is not that much of a bother to hit the home button each time, but now I don't have to. Home page is the way new browser windows (like when you first start Mozilla) are supposed to open, and opening a new tab is like opening a new browser window. They got this one right IMO.

#8 Re: Okay, but...

by totalxsive

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 4:01 AM

Glad I'm not the only one who hates the 'tabs opening home page' thing, and the fact that focus doesn't return to the address bar automatically. Ctrl+L does work for me though, as does F6 which does the same thing.

But otherwise I'm generally impressed. And bar a few rendering bugs (such as on <http://www.w3.org/Style/> part of the previous window shows up on the far right), it seems to work fine. That's what I like about Mozilla - the alphas are more stable than the gold builds of IE ;).

#10 New tabs opening home page...

by jonik

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 6:06 AM

#5 Uncomplete release notes

by simifilm

Tuesday April 1st, 2003 10:50 PM

P3P and NTLM authentification are missing from the release notes...

#6 Re: Incomplete release notes

by Hendikins

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 2:06 AM

about:buildconfig is missing too

#9 Release notes

by ezh <ezh@menelon.ee>

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 5:41 AM

Yep, I also believe the release notes must be rewritten, to gain more attention to the NTML, P3P (even I do not even know what is it for, since I never used it) etc...

#11 CTRL-Enter to said email broken?

by egoine

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 7:35 AM

CTRL-Enter doesn't work anymore for me. Anyone else sees this?

#16 Re: CTRL-Enter to said email broken?

by peterlairo <Peter@Lairo.com>

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 8:28 AM

Broken here too. :-(

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.4a) Gecko/20030329

#18 Re: Re: CTRL-Enter to said email broken?

by ezh <ezh@menelon.ee>

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 9:03 AM

It is already fixed on the 1.4b builds.

#19 thanks -nt

by egoine

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 9:06 AM

nt=no text

#12 xpi still busted?

by wtmcgee

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 7:59 AM

i still can't install the pinstripe theme on the mac OS X release of 1.4a. bug 196959 is still blocking that. ( <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196959> )

it says it's fixed, but did it get checked into 1.4a?

#13 what is smooth scrolling?

by johann_p

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 8:02 AM

Maybe you should explain what it is e.g. in the release notes. There are actually people out there who do not know IE or its smoot-scrolling feature. Also, is it supposed to work under linux? When I try to middle-click I get an alert window saying "the url is not valid and cannot be loaded"

#15 Re: what is smooth scrolling?

by max_spicer

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 8:15 AM

That's almost certainly because you've got UNIX middle click = paste behaviour on (the default with *nix builds, I believe).

#14 relocation error

by mccann

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 8:11 AM

When I start the version from <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pu…t_8x_RPMS/gtk2/RPMS/i386/> I get: mozilla -debug /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4a/mozilla-bin: relocation error: /usr/lib/libnspr4.so: symbol pthread_cond_init, version GLIBC_2.3.2 not defined in file libpthread.so.0 with link time reference

I've never seen that before. Any ideas?

#17 Re: relocation error

by mccann

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 8:45 AM

Solved the problem. It requires the errata glibc package <https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-089.html>

This is a good one for the release notes.

#21 Amazing Bookmarks

by davidboydca

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 10:55 AM

You can now drag and rearrange bookmarks straight from the Bookmarks menu, like IE. I salute the Mozilla developers!

#27 Re: Amazing Bookmarks

by gssq <gabrielseah@hotmail.com>

Friday April 4th, 2003 8:56 AM

It's been in the nightlies for a while.

Go nightlies :)

#22 Favicon

by erogers

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 11:07 AM

Seems that Mozilla still doesn't automatically look for /favicon.ico, so it will only show up if the page has a link to the file. One good thing about IE is that it automatically looks for the file at the root and then uses it for all pages on that site that don't explicitly call for a different file.

#23 Re: Favicon

by zevious

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 12:28 PM

...and creates lotsa extra(and in many cases, bogus) traffic on servers. Not to mention all of the extra entries in server log files..

#26 Re: Favicon

by curtisjewell

Thursday April 3rd, 2003 7:56 AM

Make that "one ***HORRIBLE*** thing about IE..."

I've ran a few websites, and I hate that IE does that! If I want you to get a favicon.ico file, I'll tell you about it!

#25 Good show!

by offmdan

Thursday April 3rd, 2003 7:37 AM

Thanks guys for the good work! Especially on the bookmarks section. :)