Cross-Browser Rich Text Editor

Tuesday April 1st, 2003

Kevin Roth wrote in to tell us that he has "created a cross-browser rich-text editor incorporating the new Midas API included with Mozilla version 1.3. Source code is available for download."

#1 Doesn't work for me

by marsje

Tuesday April 1st, 2003 3:34 PM

It works in IE 6 but I can't get it to work in Moz 1.3. The Javascript console tells me: Error: uncaught exception: Permission denied to call method Window.focus

#2 Mail Client drag and drop

by PatMan <vanelk@tref.nl>

Tuesday April 1st, 2003 4:32 PM

No problems here with Mozilla 1.3, works like a charm...

#6 Re: Doesn't work for me

by peterlairo <Peter@Lairo.com>

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 8:32 AM

Broken here too. :-(

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.4a) Gecko/20030329

#9 Re: Re: Doesn't work for me

by afree87 <afree87@netscape.net>

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 3:47 PM

Metoo. I am running the Mozilla Debian Package 1.3-3.

#7 Re: Doesn't work for me

by c960657

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 11:26 AM

It sounds as if you have denied scripts to raise (focus) windows in Preferences > Advanced > Scripts & Plugins.

#11 Re: Re: Doesn't work for me

by marsje

Thursday April 3rd, 2003 1:06 AM

You are right. It works now. I thought I already tried it, but maybe I should have shift-reloaded or something.

#3 How does it compare with

by AmirG

Tuesday April 1st, 2003 11:17 PM

interactivetools.com's htmlArea (at <http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/> )?

#5 Re: How does it compare with

by tinus

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 6:32 AM

That doesn't really work well with mozilla, does it? In fact it only works with ie 5.5 .

#8 Ver. 3 works quite well with Mozilla.

by AmirG

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 1:25 PM

htmlArea 3 is still in alpha, but to me it looks more complete that the one Kevin Roth made. Than again, I'm no expert.

#4 Useful for Wiki?

by bpdlr

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 5:59 AM

Could this be adapted to output Wiki tags instead of HTML/CSS?

#12 Re: Useful for Wiki?

by rtvkuijk

Thursday April 3rd, 2003 3:53 AM

Sure, if you write a XSL that converts HTML -> Wiki that would work. The way back to edit an existing page requires wiki -> html which wiki already does

#13 Re: Re: Useful for Wiki?

by gkokmdam

Wednesday April 16th, 2003 6:53 AM

Can you give any pointers to this. I'd lover to help with the dum coding part of this... as (t)wiki code is still hard for people to use.

#10 IE specific code

by adipose

Wednesday April 2nd, 2003 11:14 PM

This can actually work w/o the IE specific code. I changed the designmode function to look like this:

function enableDesignMode() { frames.edit.document.designMode = "On"; }

The "frames." is unecessary as well. In any case, this will work on both Moz. and IE, which makes it a bit easier on web-site designers. Unfortunately, the mozilla specific code doesn't work on IE. It *should* work, but for some reason the "getElementByID" combined with the "designMode" seems to fail (on IE). Therefore, "edit.document.designMode" works, but "document.getElementById('edit').document.designMode" doesn't (doesn't work with 'contentDocument' either). "edit" should be the same as "document.getElementByID('edit')" but in this case it's not for some reason.

Luckily Moz works with the IE code, so the function above works on both. :)

-Dan

#14 onpaste event

by aceman3000 <aceman3000@gmx.de>

Sunday February 8th, 2004 5:59 AM

Does anyone know, where to implement the onpaste (IE only) event? I tried the following in the enableDesignMode function: var oRTE = frames[rte].document; oRTE.open(); oRTE.write(frameHtml); oRTE.close(); if (!readOnly) oRTE.designMode = "On"; oRTE.document.onpaste = myFunction;

but i got an error that says "Permission denied" can anybody help me?

#15 yeehaw. i got it.