Windows Build of Minotaur Available on ftp.mozilla.org

Sunday March 30th, 2003

DJGM writes: "The first fully compiled Minotaur binary is now available on Mozilla's FTP servers. For those that haven't already seen it, this build can be downloaded from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/minotaur/. So far, there's only a build for Windows, but I'm sure builds for other OSes will follow pretty soon. It appears to be based upon the Moz1.3b builds numbered 20030313, and has the identifier 'Minotaur/0.1a' on the end of its user agent string. It uses the old Netscape 4.x style Classic theme, and so far I haven't been able to get it to change to the Modern theme. Mind you, this is only a very early build, so I'm sure that theme switching will be fully implemented in the near future. Anyway, if you wanna try it, the URL's there, so go grab a copy!"

#1 Yes finally!

by huggie

Sunday March 30th, 2003 11:06 AM

I've been waiting for it. I've just downloaded it and tried it for two seconds. I guess not much is done at this point other than making it a stand-alone? But I guess things have just started and I'm looking forward to a zippy zappy app! Keep up the good work!

#11 Some changes already

by djst

Sunday March 30th, 2003 5:26 PM

The menus have been simplified and there is toolbar customization. More things to follow of course.

#2 won't even start on my xp

by leet

Sunday March 30th, 2003 12:11 PM

<eom>

#3 Good start

by cgonyea

Sunday March 30th, 2003 12:15 PM

Good start so far, although lots of work remains. I wrote a minor review of this release on my blog <http://www.chrisgonyea.com/>

#4 Theme switching works for me

by slippytoad

Sunday March 30th, 2003 12:39 PM

Minotaur seems to just use Mozilla prefs if you alredy have it installed so my themes show up and I can switch them. I was surprised, when restarting, to see Minotaur in Orbit! Looks good so far, although markedly slower than Moz.

#5 What is the point for Minotar?

by PaulB <pbergsag@home.com>

Sunday March 30th, 2003 2:45 PM

I thought there was a project to seperate Mozilla's various apps into seperate processes. This would accomplish very much the same thing and is in my opinion a better way to go. I don't feel the need for a seperate mail prgram and I don't understand why some feel the need for one given that Mozilla will soon use seperate processes.

Can someone explain the need for Minator and what it might accomplish that mail/news running as a seperate process in the Mozilla application could not accomplish?

#10 Re: What is the point for Minotar?

by tolremeno

Sunday March 30th, 2003 4:35 PM

well, for one thing, some of us really prefer using 'phoenix' to the massive mozilla suite, and by definition it doesn't have an email program with it. i could come up with other reasons, too, but i'm too tired right now and i'm too excited about this release of minataur really to care.

#12 Another good reason...

by cgonyea

Sunday March 30th, 2003 6:14 PM

Few reasons.

Look how fair Phoenix has come being a separate application from Mozilla. Customizable toolbars, new theme that is very nice to look at, reorganized UI, new options window, and much faster performance. With this working model, Mozilla could possibily incorporate these changes in the future. Some are starting to make their way into Mozilla right now.

The same thing can happen with Minotaur. Get a simplified UI, faster performance, better organization, and more. Strip what isn't needed and keep what is needed.

I have always believed the best applications are those who stick to exactly what they need to do and provide some way to expand on what the application can do if needed. Phoenix was able to accomplish so much because it didn't have to worry about tying into the e-mail component. Minotaur can concentrate on being the best e-mail client it can be and not something that has to tie into Mozilla's browser/composer.

This allows a user to download exactly what they need and have an optimized product. Someone who is a huge IE fan but hates Outlook Express has a choice that might satisfy them. They don't have to download a browser they don't need (Mozilla), they can just download Minotaur. Maybe Minotaur will have such a good impression on this user that they decide to check out a Mozilla-based browser like Phoenix.

Separate processes are great and all, but separate dedicated applications based on what Mozilla can do will only improve the whole Mozilla effort. There is much more then separate processes when it comes to this decision.

#13 Re: What is the point for Minotar?

by pmsyyz

Sunday March 30th, 2003 6:59 PM

> I don't understand why some feel the need for one given that Mozilla will soon use seperate processes.

No, Mozilla will SOMEDAY use seperate processes, not soon.

#15 Re: What is the point for Minotaur

by Ascaris <ascaris1@att.net>

Monday March 31st, 2003 8:20 AM

One nice thing about having MailNews in a separate app would be that when Biff fails to connect to my mail server, and with the raiseonsetfocus pref set (assuming it still works on Minotaur), the annoying alert message that pops up will not steal focus from the browser. This drives me nuts... I have Biff set to get my mail every two minutes, but unfortunately, it fails about 25% of the time. I wish that there was a way to have Biff fail silently... I found a pref mail.biff.show_alert, but it does not suppress alerts when I set it to false.

#6 Re: What is the point for Minotaur?

by DJGM2002

Sunday March 30th, 2003 2:53 PM

If anything, it makes a good open source alternative to Lookout Distress, and is a lot more secure!

#7 Bug #1

by robdogg

Sunday March 30th, 2003 3:00 PM

It changed the theme in NS 7.x for me to Classic. Thanks. How about using a separate profile.

#8 Re: Bug #1

by ksheka

Sunday March 30th, 2003 3:38 PM

I suppose that separating the profile is one of the things that is being worked upon.

Having NS7, Mozilla, Phoenix, and Minotaur all use different profiles is a *very* good thing.

Another good things is setting up the default news, snews, ldap, etc. to Minotaur.

A really cool thing is being able to *override* the default http: protocol and chose whichever browser you want. (This way I can use Mozilla to browse whenever I get a link from a news article but not change the default browser on the system, which may break other programs. :-)

#9 Please separate from Moz profiles

by geekboy2000

Sunday March 30th, 2003 4:25 PM

I'd really like to see Minotaur disassociate itself from the Mozilla profile hierarchy, like Phoenix has done.

#14 Re: Please separate from Moz profiles

by peterlairo <Peter@Lairo.com>

Monday March 31st, 2003 1:09 AM

(OT) Even more important is that Netscape finally stop using (and messing up) Mozilla's profiles!

Any news or gossip on this ever happening?