A Blogger's Guide to Mozilla

Tuesday March 4th, 2003

Matthew Haughey, creator of Metafilter, has written a step-by-step guide to using Mozilla. While the article is mainly aimed at people who read and write weblogs, most of its tips are applicable to all users. Speaking of weblogs, we stole this piece of news from Blogzilla, a weblog that's all about Mozilla.

#1 I Disagree

by quarsan

Wednesday March 5th, 2003 2:09 AM

i use blogger and every time i go to edit the template i find most of my tags get stripped out, especially the links. this is an old bug and has still not been fixed.

untill it is fixed, mozilla is an app that can kill your blog. in fact i only use IE for two reasons: 1, to edit my blog template 2, when i want to edit pages on my site - i MUCH prefer notepad to composer.

fix the textarea bug and allow me to view source in notepad and i'll be a very happy bunny indeed.

#2 Re: I Disagree

by totalxsive

Wednesday March 5th, 2003 4:14 AM

I think this may be a bug in Blogger, not in Mozilla. When adding HTML tags in Movable Type using Mozilla, I have no problems

#3 Re: Re: I Disagree

by quarsan

Wednesday March 5th, 2003 4:32 AM

it's only when i edit template in blogger. i've asked blogger when i noticed this problem and i was pointed to bugzilla where there was a bug listed. blogger are adamant that it is a mozilla issue.

unfortunately the webspace i have has no php/sql so i'm stuck with blogger

#4 Re: Re: Re: I Disagree

by choess <choess@stwing.upenn.edu>

Wednesday March 5th, 2003 7:46 AM

It's a bug in Blogger; I forget the bug # at present, but they aren't escaping markup inside their textareas, so some stuff gets messed up when Mozilla goes through. Do you have a contact address for them (send it privately if you want)? I'd be happy to quote chapter and verse of the spec at them, especially since the problem should be quite trivial to fix on their side.

#5 from blogger

by quarsan

Wednesday March 5th, 2003 9:00 AM

in their knowledge base section i did a search for mozilla and found this: Question When I attempt to edit my template in Netscape 6.2 or Mozilla 1.0, some tags come up stripped of attributes entirely (for example, "<a>Contact</a>")

Answer

This is due to a known bug in Mozilla/Netscape regarding editing HTML in a textarea. Try the latest version of Mozilla (which may or may not fix it).

Meanwhile, we'll see if there's a work around.

#7 Re: from blogger

by choess <choess@stwing.upenn.edu>

Wednesday March 5th, 2003 11:54 AM

Yeah, I found that, but by the time I investigated, I couldn't find any way to contact them except the old support@ email address. (IIRC, I couldn't try to enter a new question in the knowledge base, either, without being a registered user.) I'll have to look and see if I tried one of the Pyra Labs contact addresses. I was hoping someone here might be a registered user of Blogger and be able to email them or follow-up in the knowlege base.

#8 thanks choess

by quarsan

Thursday March 6th, 2003 12:28 AM

i appreciate you help and advice. i've added a follow up in the knowledge base asking who's bug is it and if any progress has been made.

#9 thank you!

by choess <choess@stwing.upenn.edu>

Thursday March 6th, 2003 2:15 PM

This information should be in whichever Bugzilla bug is filed on it, but what they need to do to fix it on their side is to escape the source in the templates.

i.e., now they presumably have (in source):

<textarea> <a name="something">part of a Blogger template</a> </textarea>

This should be <textarea> &lt;a name="something">part of a Blogger template&lt;/a> </textarea>

just as if the code inside the <textarea> were appearing in, for instance, a <p>. If they can fix that, that should solve all the problems. (And, yes, this way is correct per the specs and the way they're doing it now isn't; <textarea> doesn't have any special properties with regard to markup recognition, unlike <script> and <style>.)

#6 Use Composite XPI to edit HTML in textarea

by sinchi

Wednesday March 5th, 2003 9:21 AM

Go to <http://composite.mozdev.org/> and install it. Then you'll can enter and/or edit HTML code in textarea by pressing Ctrl-E ;)