AppMac Announces Three New Gecko-Based Browsers for OS X

Thursday February 27th, 2003

Tristan Nitot writes: "Three (yes, 3!) new Gecko-based browsers for Mac OS X were announced today by AppMac.

"wKiosk 2.0 is for public internet terminals. wKids 1.0 is for kids and includes a simplified UI, a white/black list system for URLs and runs in full screen mode. wDesk 1.0 is for professional use and includes filters and admin tools to limit non-professional usage.

"Evaluation versions are available on their web site, along with screen shots. By using OS X's Unix foundations and Gecko stability, AppMac expects excellent MTBF (e.g. at least a full week), which is a must for a system to provide public access to the Internet."

#1 So far not so good.

by beg_ne

Thursday February 27th, 2003 6:07 PM

Only tried this for a few minutes so far, and my impression is that I'm not very impressed with it so far.

When i tried out the tabs I opened up a new tab then decided to go back to the previous tab, this immedately caused the tabs to become unresponsive.

Then all of the navigation buttons and address bar disappeared for seemingly no reason leaving nothing more than a blank pinstripe background.

Those are the two major problems so far. Other gripes aside from those are

1. The navigation bar / Address bar area is horribly large eating up about 1/3 of the vertical space on my iBook.

2. Why would anyone pay for a browser, especially when Chimera and Mozilla are both free and use the same engine?

3. I wouldn't exactly call this a "pro browser" it's options are about as if not more sparse than what Safari has.

This just seems like a really buggy unstable version of Mozilla/Chimera that wants money for it. And just as I type this, "wDesk has unexpectedly quit." It wasnt even doing anything at that time other than sitting on the wDesk homepage. Guess it's time to place this app in the trash.

#3 Re: So far not so good.

by ndeakin

Thursday February 27th, 2003 7:41 PM

"Why would anyone pay for a browser, especially when Chimera and Mozilla are both free and use the same engine? "

Companies will generally pay for products that meet their needs rather than use a free product that doesn't. These browsers are targeted at specific kinds of people, using features that mozilla doesn't have, so they are more likely to succeed.

You might note the page on their site which lists the 20 or so companies/organizations that use mKiosk.

#2 Hmmmm Sad to hear!

by jedbro

Thursday February 27th, 2003 7:32 PM

Sad to hear about that.

Although I hope they can smoothen out the quirks, as hell, more gecko browsers out there/ more exposure.

Power to them.

But true, who knows if there is a market for this type of thing!

#4 MTBF of 1 week?

by Racer

Friday February 28th, 2003 2:33 PM

I expect the programs that I run to last longer than a week before bombing off. Maybe one week is good compared to the rest of the industry, but I expect MTBF values of months, not 7 days.

#5 Who are the guys behind AppMac anyway?

by djst

Saturday March 1st, 2003 11:11 AM

From the FAQ on their page: "Why setup of preferences seem not working ? I need to quit and relanch it ?"

I'm not speaking English natively, but how many grammar and spelling errors can you fit into one single FAQ? Seems very unprofessional to me.

#6 UA String

by GAThrawn

Monday March 3rd, 2003 1:14 AM

Not having a Mac myself I can't try them out, but does anyone know what user agent string these browsers give out to servers? Do they masquerade as IE, or properly advertise themselves as Gecko based browsers?