MozillaZine

Progress and Future of Mozilla the Application Suite

Thursday February 6th, 2003

The latest mozilla.org Status Update is all about the progress and future of the Mozilla application suite. Featuring a summary of the improvements since Mozilla 1.0, the update also details the planned work that will be completed over the next few months and outlines some possibilities for the future.


#90 Re: Let me put it straight....

by bzbarsky

Sunday February 9th, 2003 9:54 PM

You are replying to this message

> The list almost killed me

Which part of it killed you?

> KHTML is smaller and easier to integrate. And it does almost everything Gecko does

It's a well known fact that the first 80% of the desired functionality come much more easily than the remaining 20%. Here's a typical example. Both Mozilla and Safari load web pages over HTTP. Mozilla uses necko, Safari uses the OSX system libraries. This means that Safari suffers from things like lack of support for persistent connections that make Mozilla much faster at loading things that are not in the browser cache over a real-life (56k modem) connection. Yes, we pay some footprint cost for our own XP network library. But we get lots of functionality out of it that is not avaiable in the system libraries (even on OS X, which has by far the best built-in networking API of the platforms Mozilla runs on).

I am quite interested to see how things go in the next few years as Mozilla gets the message and slims down and simplifies while KHTML bulks up as it tries to deal with the web that's out there.