Mozilla Starter Guide

Thursday January 23rd, 2003

Scott writes: "I wrote up a little Mozilla Starter Guide to help people who are transitioning from other browsers to Mozilla. Rather than 'here's a browser, go work with it,' I've tried to highlight some features that make Mozilla stand out as the best browser."

#1 Re: Uninstalling of extensions?

by mlefevre

Thursday January 23rd, 2003 12:02 PM

some useful stuff on there that many people probably miss...

unfortunately the popups item isn't correct for current nightlies and future (1.3beta onwards) releases...

#2 Re: Re: Uninstalling of extensions?

by jstrickland

Thursday January 23rd, 2003 12:17 PM

Could you expand on this comment please? Are you saying that popup blocking will no longer be available, or that the interface has changed from what is represented in the Mozilla Starter Guide?

#3 Re: Re: Re: Uninstalling of extensions?

by Sailfish <sailfish@unforgettable.com>

Thursday January 23rd, 2003 12:42 PM

The latest trunk has adopted the (cleaner, imo) Netscape 7.01 popup blocker approach.

#4 Re: Re: Re: Re: Uninstalling of extensions?

by mlefevre

Thursday January 23rd, 2003 12:47 PM

not quite the same, but similar. (for those that haven't seen it, you can set to allow or deny by default, and then add sites to lists which override that - if a popup is blocked, a little icon pops up on the status bar)

(I have no idea what is giving a default title of "uninstalling of extensions" to my posts here - I must watch out for that and fix it...)

#5 It's Mozilla's password manager

by buckminster

Thursday January 23rd, 2003 1:42 PM

When it saves your login and password here, it also saves the title of your post for some reason...

#6 Re: It's Mozilla's password manager

by mlefevre

Thursday January 23rd, 2003 3:54 PM

ah... of course... have had similar stuff happen elsewhere, but for some reason I didn't think of that. stupid me. thanks.

#7 Corrective procedures

by jvlb

Thursday January 23rd, 2003 9:05 PM

I believe you may wish to go to Edit --> Preferences --> Privacy & Security --> Passwords --> Manage Stored Passwords (whew!) and edit out the entry that contains "uninstalling of extensions", if you haven't already. Otherwise you may find the problem recurs.

#8 Well done, Scott!

by jvlb

Thursday January 23rd, 2003 9:13 PM

Your guide is clear, direct and well illustrated. I think it would be quite helpful to a newbie. You may wish, however, to proofread it again. There are some mildly confusing grammatical errors.

#12 and do a spellcheck (n/t)

by Chris_C

Friday January 24th, 2003 8:08 PM

(n/t)

#9 Some other things of interest perhaps

by Tar

Friday January 24th, 2003 1:03 AM

Alt+D - Focus on the address bar, way more handy than Ctrl+L Esc - Stop loading the page F9 - Open the sidebar Ctrl+Tab / Ctrl+Shift+Tab / Ctrl + PgUp / Ctrl + PgDn - move between tabs Ctrl+Shift+D - Customize entry before bookmarking Middle click on tab header - close tab

Those are the essential ones, more at <http://mozilla.org/docs/e…d-user/moz_shortcuts.html>

Also it might be wise to include links to: Flash and Java installer for Mozilla <http://mazinger.technisys….ar/pruebas-nick/mozilla/> Mouse Gestures <http://optimoz.mozdev.org/> Preferences Toolbar <http://xulplanet.com/downloads/prefbar/> The Go/Up (Alt+Up) menuitem <http://bugzilla.mozilla.o…id=103882&action=view>

For BOFH style IE replacement: <http://kodu.neti.ee/~tar/mozilla.html>

#13 Flash installer site may be old

by Chris_C

Friday January 24th, 2003 8:14 PM

Last time I checked, a week ago, Nick's site was still installing an old version of Flash 6, prior to the fix of the security hole. I've asked him twice if he could update it. I don't know if he has in the last week. The version needs to be 6.0 r65 or later.

#17 Re: Flash installer site may be old

by Tar

Saturday January 25th, 2003 2:09 AM

Indeed it is old 6.0.23.0 :(

To get the new one: <http://www.macromedia.com…wave/download/alternates/>

#22 Flash is beta.

by smkatz

Sunday January 26th, 2003 8:52 AM

I know I have a different opinion. But I use flash a lot-- and flash 6 (even 5) is the stable release right now.

Until Macromedia stops releasing security patches in the form of betas, I will not install.

#10 and here I thought "Mozilla is not for end users"

by macpeep

Friday January 24th, 2003 3:06 PM

...

#11 re: and here I thought "Mozilla is not for end use

by michaelg <mike@vee.net>

Friday January 24th, 2003 7:16 PM

Of course, you're still (officially) right. Notice that it isn't m.o that is providing this end user support?

#16 IIRC...

by Squire72

Saturday January 25th, 2003 12:51 AM

It's not that Mozilla isn't for end users, it's that Mozilla.org doesn't provide end user support, and therefor don't suggest if for end users.

The community resources available do provide a great deal of support, so it's not impossible for someone to find help if they need it :)

#18 Re: IIRC...

by macpeep

Saturday January 25th, 2003 2:50 AM

No, not just that. I've often heard "Mozilla is not for end users" as the motivation for why UI polish / similar isn't important. So it's not just that Mozilla.org doesn't provide end user support.

#19 Re: Re: IIRC...

by jgraham

Saturday January 25th, 2003 3:51 AM

Mozilla *isn't developed for end users*. The fact is some of the people who download and test Mozilla have found that it is sutiable for their use - and so have encouraged others to use it doesn't change that. The development is still (in theory) aimed at producing 1) a Netscape browser 1) an application development platform (particually sutiable for browser development by anyone - so as with all good laws 1) is a special case of 2) ) and c) a technology preview for the development platform.

#20 that would be 1) 2) 3) not 1) 1) c)

by jgraham

Saturday January 25th, 2003 3:52 AM

~

#21 dont waste your time.

by joschi

Saturday January 25th, 2003 4:35 PM

you are correct, of course, but macpeep just loves to repeat himself to no end on this tired, old topic.

#23 Re: dont waste your time.

by Martyr

Sunday January 26th, 2003 1:29 PM

Agreed. The guy is hopeless.

#14 Re: and here I thought "Mozilla is not for end use

by jvlb

Friday January 24th, 2003 8:14 PM

I believe that using a product for its intended application makes one an "end user" of that application. Therefore, he who uses Mozilla is a Mozilla end user. Further, the vast majority of those who use computers (other than retail stations and such) do so in a seated position. How much more use could you make of your end, than to support the mass of your corporeal being? Indeed, we are all end users, we of the computer.

#15 big feature: integrated Google

by Chris_C

Friday January 24th, 2003 8:17 PM

First, Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator -> Internet Search -> change from Netscape to Google

Highlight any text on a page, right click, select Web Search

type search terms into location bar, hit *UP* arrow and enter

Either way, voila, Googled. I looooooooove this feature!

#24 Minimum Font Size!

by mlippert <mlippert255@yahoo.com>

Tuesday January 28th, 2003 9:26 AM

That's a great starter page. I just want to add the 1 other feature of Mozilla that I have found that convinces several people to switch from IE, namely that you can set a minimum font size.

Yes this can break a pixel layout of a page, but I've found people aren't into pretty, they want to be able to read the information on the page!

I switched my step-father to use Mozilla, and he wanted that minimum font size to be pretty big, way bigger than I was comfortable with, but he absolutely loved it!

Web designers really need to get a clue from this. Users need to be able to change the font size and the page should still look reasonable when they do. Using text in images and tables with cut images and absolute font sizes (be they specified in pixels or points) is not a good way to design a page.

Mike