Mozilla Firefox 3.5 Released

Tuesday June 30th, 2009

Mozilla Firefox 3.5 has been released. Available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux in more than 70 different languages, Firefox 3.5 is the most recent major Mozilla browser release since the launch of Firefox 3 in June 2008.

Firefox 3.5 can be downloaded from the Firefox product page or via software update. More information can be found in the Firefox 3.5 Release Notes.

The Firefox Features page at mozilla.com lists the new and improved features in Firefox 3.5

#1 Why no Roboform???

by mitrich <mitrich@optonline.net>

Tuesday June 30th, 2009 2:52 PM

One of the big gripes at Microsoft with the Vista launch was that third party apps were not ready, that MSFT did not "ride herd" on the providers. How is it with the l-o-n-g run up to FF3.5 that Roboform was *allowed* to not be ready? Roboform is the Lazyman's dream app.Is Mozilla Corp going to be criticized for this? I hardly think so.

>>RSM

#2 Why no Roboform???

by mitrich <mitrich@optonline.net>

Tuesday June 30th, 2009 3:14 PM

Call off the dogs, Justin at Roboform just told me it's all set. I installed it and it works fine.

>>RSM

#3 3.5 is fast.

by tseelee

Tuesday June 30th, 2009 6:34 PM

Damn.

#5 Re: 3.5 is fast.

by underscore

Thursday July 2nd, 2009 2:35 PM

That was my first observation, too. Still probably not as fast as Chrome, but it sure narrowed the gap.

My memory footprint is a good 15-20% less, too

#4 Firefox Portable 3.5 for USB drives

by CritterNYC

Wednesday July 1st, 2009 7:25 AM

The same day as the Firefox 3.5 release, PortableApps.com posted Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition 3.5 in 15 languages. It lets you take Firefox with you on a USB flash drive or other removable device.

<http://portableapps.com/a…internet/firefox_portable>

#6 SVG animation

by efa

Thursday July 2nd, 2009 3:12 PM

when SVG animation will be available to remove malfunction Flash/silverlight plugin?

#7 On the location bar

by Kob

Saturday July 4th, 2009 5:23 AM

Up until last week,I have used FF2 since FF3 location bar was too messy and unruly for my taste. Well, FF3.5 was a very compelling proposition due to its JS speed, so I started to look for ways to fix the location bar. Looked at the urlbar switches in about:config, installed the "old Location Bar" add-on - helped to some extent but still missed on some important old behavior. A foundation member entry in bugzilla said that there is no way to get back the exact same functionality. While searching for a fix, I was amazed to see so many people who detested the new "awesomebar" and either degraded to FF2 or to another browser altogether. I am surprised to see that the developers don't take a serious look at this and come up with an option switch : "FF2 urlbar functionality". I am still browsing with my FF2...

#8 Re: On the location bar

by underscore

Saturday July 4th, 2009 8:13 PM

You can toggle between different location bar modes in FF3.5: History, Bookmarks, History and Bookmarks, or nothing at all.

#61 Re: On the location bar

by kaddazz

Monday July 27th, 2009 5:26 PM

Maybe this will help. I just found this recently, and it works for me on FF 3.0.5. It sure is cumbersome, but it does the trick. I don't like clients looking over my shoulder and reading about all the websites I visit!

<http://www.labnol.org/sof…ddress-location-bar/3636/>

#10 That's better

by frank107 <francisdinh@gmail.com>

Tuesday July 7th, 2009 7:32 AM

Congrats to Mozilla for their firefox work (and the rest of the community)! Thanks!

#11 Paypal log in

by CoachMoore <Ernie@CoachMoore4U.com>

Wednesday July 8th, 2009 6:04 AM

I can't get to Paypal log in via FireFox. It worked before the upgrade. I can get to Paypal through IE so I think there is something about FireFox that is blocking the access to PayPal. Any thoughts? Coach

#12 Works for me

by bcwright <bcwright@ix.netcom.com>

Wednesday July 8th, 2009 6:46 AM

Works fine for me. I suspect that you have some kind of issue with add-ons or with your stored password.

#15 I give up

by jsm555

Thursday July 9th, 2009 12:30 PM

FF 3.5 is just too buggy - Flash stopped working, add-ons not working, etc. How can I go back to the previous version?

#17 Re: I give up

by jsm555

Thursday July 9th, 2009 12:55 PM

Never mind, I found the link to download the previous version and it works fine - that was easy!

#18 Re: I give up

by underscore

Thursday July 9th, 2009 2:16 PM

Why do people blame firefox for 3rd party add-ons not working?

My Flash works fine, too.

#16 RE: Why No Roboform

by gunste <beagun27@comcast.net>

Thursday July 9th, 2009 12:54 PM

Until recently, before the update to ver. 3.0.11 and now 3.5, Firefox did a fine job of saving and filling in IDs and passwords. One could check and edit the saved IDs and Passwords. With the last two updates, this function has become a BUG. Not only does the content of the key3.db and Signon2.txt files fail to be used to fill in, the "Saved Password List" is empty for reasons I do not understand. How does the files saved in profiles get to the Saved List? A any rate, the ID and Password function seems to be inactive in ver 3.5.30729. Nor are you asked whether you want to save the ID and password.

In addition, after one logs on with a Master Password, the request for it pops up almost any time one needs to fill in anything. One can safely disregard the request, because its appearance is superfluous and faulty.

If not fixed in the near future, I shall have to spring for Roboform.

#19 Post in Mozillazine Firefox support forum

by Jadugar

Thursday July 9th, 2009 9:31 PM

Those having problems with password fill ins might want to post in the support forum for some help.

#20 3.5 loading time

by bhg

Saturday July 11th, 2009 11:36 AM

I have Vista Home Premium and it take Firefox up to 3 minutes to load. Earlier versions might take as long as a minute. This is enough to make me switch to Chrome or even I.E. PLEASE, I LIKE FIREFOX, BUT IF IT IS GOING TO TAKE THIS LONG, I WILL STOP USING IT!!!

#23 Re: 3.5 loading time

by Jadugar

Friday July 17th, 2009 4:24 PM

This will be fixed in 3.5.1 which I think is out now. If the fix didn't make it in, it will probably be in 3.5.2

#21 ROLLOVER LAG

by gderjeff

Tuesday July 14th, 2009 8:22 AM

I signed up as a member just so I could write this message: I'm developing a website with some rollover images (35-38K apiece) and ONLY Firefox 3.5 is giving me rollover lag. I have the images being preloaded, so don't go there. This is happening, not immediately after the page loads, but after the page has been inactive for a 15-30 seconds. I'm using inline javascript mouseover/mouseout getElementById, FYI. Can you get this fixed, please?

Love Firefox, but this needs to be addressed ASAP.

#24 Re: ROLLOVER LAG

by Jadugar

Friday July 17th, 2009 4:28 PM

Please post in firefox bugs forum at <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=9> You can also file a bug in bugzilla if you search and make sure a similar bug hasn't already been filed.

#45 Garbage attack

by Kob

Wednesday July 22nd, 2009 6:16 AM

With all the garbage in this thread, it is time for a captcha.