New Download Manager in Recent Chimera Nightlies

Saturday January 4th, 2003

The Mac Observer has an article about Chimera's new download manager, which is available in recent nightly builds. The report describes the operation of the download manager and includes a pretty screenshot. Mac OS X users can download the latest nightly to try the feature for themselves. The Chimera Project page has more general information about the browser, including installation instructions.

#1 Looks impractical to me

by johann_p

Saturday January 4th, 2003 8:45 AM

Mozilla's solution of having a table is cleaner and more user friendly IMO. However Mozilla still implements practically no features or actions - context manager, copying URI or desitination, interrupt/resume, show details are things that are definitely missing from the Mozilla DM and they seem to be missing from the Chimera DM too. Even more missing is a feature to automatically remove completed downloads or zap the whole download list, so downloads tend to accumulate endlessly, especially for users who do not show the DM window.

I also wonder whether Chimera shares Mozilla's problems associated with prefetching?

#2 Can easily delete all downloads

by thelem

Saturday January 4th, 2003 9:24 AM

In mozilla, you need to scroll down to the bottom of the list, shift-click the last item and then click the remove from list item.

Looking at the chimera screenshot, you would want to close the download progress windows when a download was complete.

#4 No ...

by johann_p

Saturday January 4th, 2003 12:29 PM

have you tried doing this with a few thousand entries? The problem is, that this function seems to remove each entry individually from the RDF file, thus needing time at least proportional to the number of entries. A related problem is that the appearance of the download dialog gets slower the more entries are in this list.

That is why automatic removal would be so important: users who do not show the DM and download a lot of files will never even know that this list builds up and experience a significant performance regression.

#8 Not "easily", but CTRL-A then "Remove from List"

by rkl

Sunday January 5th, 2003 10:44 AM

I wouldn't say you can "easily" clear out your entire download list, but you the method you describe (scrolling down, shift-click) is bizarrely tortuous when surely CTRL-A (aka "select all") is a much easier short-cut.

I do agree that finished or cancelled downloads should be removed automatically from the Download Manager (and maybe give the end-user an option to do this in the prefs, with the default being on) when the user exits Mozilla. The "crud" that builds up in DM is pretty annoying.

#10 Re: Not "easily", but CTRL-A then "Remove from Lis

by WildcatRay

Thursday September 25th, 2003 1:38 PM

I have been trying to make selective deletions of items in my Download Manager, but Mozilla (1.4) ends up hanging. I then must use Task Manager to stop Mozilla. Is there another program that will open the DM .rdf file and allow me to remove enough data so the DM can work properly and not hang up?

#3 Actually...

by googolplex

Saturday January 4th, 2003 11:43 AM

I find this very user friendly. It is the same method that OS X uses when you are copying files, so it adhears to the system behaviors. Also you can colapse the various downloads with the arrow on the side, so it isn't always such a big window.

#5 auto-removal

by rgpublic

Saturday January 4th, 2003 2:41 PM

Even more horrible IMO is the fact that files which are downloaded temporatily and opened with a helper application also show up in the download manager. This makes it completely useless for me, because if you listen to some songs i.e. on an mp3-site every song is listed you ever heard.

#6 Well

by googolplex

Saturday January 4th, 2003 8:34 PM

I haven't tried it out that much yet, so I probably shouldn't comment. I'm sure things will probably be tweaked to make it better, however.

#7 WorkAround does excist

by BjarneDM <mozilla@mathiesen.info>

Sunday January 5th, 2003 7:17 AM

well, I've developed a workaround that I've implemented on all my profiles. There's a bug about all of the things described above - <http://bugzilla.mozilla.o…how_bug.cgi?id=132755#c89> . The link is directly to the MacOS X workaround.

yours in happy hacking :-) Bjarne - KÝbenhavn ; Danmark ; Europa