Removing IE from Win98

Wednesday December 16th, 1998

Arielb, a regular in our talkback forums, has written in with a link to a site devoted to removing IE from Win98. It's rather complex, but possible (at this point not for the faint-hearted). Arielb writes, "If you have Win98 and are interested in removing IE from your system, you should follow this work in progress.

Be sure to read _everything_ (release notes,etc) so you won't mess up and so you'll know if this is [appropriate] for you."

#1 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by Aleks Zawisza <awz@home.com>

Wednesday December 16th, 1998 11:38 AM

Just wondering, has the DOJ gotten wind of this program yet? If not, they definately should. It blows the "integrated/inseparable" argument out of the water.

#2 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by Jason Kersey (MZAdmin) <kerz@en.com>

Wednesday December 16th, 1998 12:01 PM

I plan on voiding my license later this afternoon using this info, and I will let you know how it works when I do it. Whee!

#3 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by Shukri Shiraz <shukris@netscape.net>

Wednesday December 16th, 1998 12:12 PM

Yaaahoooo!!! Now I hope that my machine won't crash so much.I wish there was a program that replaced all IE styles with a Mozilla interface

#4 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by arielb

Wednesday December 16th, 1998 1:04 PM

I'm getting win98 with my new 450 mhz pc. I didn't pay $2500 just so MS could slow it down. I'm also going to take a look at litestep (found by following a link on the 98lite page). That looks cool too

#5 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by arielb

Wednesday December 16th, 1998 1:17 PM

#6 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by Joel Caris <joel_caris@iname.com>

Wednesday December 16th, 1998 4:05 PM

Aleks,

The DOJ may not know about this specific program, but they just had a witness that showed how IE could be removed from Windows 98.

Joel Caris

#7 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by arielb

Wednesday December 16th, 1998 4:41 PM

Remember, this does more than just "hide" IE or delete IE icons,etc. This saves quite a bit of hard drive space

#8 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by Aleks Zawisza <awz@home.com>

Thursday December 17th, 1998 7:35 AM

Joel,

I think the witness the DOJ used just removed the icon and a couple of other things, to my knowledge he didn't manage to save 30Mb of space and shrink the registry by 1/3.

#9 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by Tekhir

Thursday December 17th, 1998 11:38 PM

Actually I think the witness wrote the program. From his testimony he removed specific lines from dll files using a program, not sure it was the same one. He also had to share it with Microsoft around September and claimed in his testimony that Win 98 was modified on Dec 4 so his program wouldn't work correctly. So everyone be careful Microsoft loves to modify code to hurt programs that hurt them.

#10 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by ntd <ntd@netscape.net>

Tuesday December 22nd, 1998 8:27 AM

MS said you can't remove all the code of IE, this doesn't remove code. A team at Princeton under that guy that testified removed all the code.

#11 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by ntd <ntd@netscape.net>

Tuesday December 22nd, 1998 8:34 AM

Also I did this and I must say everything is MUCH faster. I hated using IE as an explorer (I was using a command prompt) and just that was worth it to me.

#12 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by Alex Levy <mesozoic@ishmael.geecs.org>

Wednesday December 23rd, 1998 2:09 PM

I wonder if anyone wants to work on integrating Gecko into Explorer? ;)

#13 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by Steve Vigneau <golfer@wnol.net>

Sunday December 27th, 1998 5:34 PM

I know this isn't quite REMOVING IE4, but there is a pretty handy utility available at <http://www.annoyances.org…features/integration.html> for just simply turning IE4 off. It seems to work just fine...

#14 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by Jamie <wudaben@eosinc.com>

Tuesday December 29th, 1998 9:42 PM

I work for an isp who offers netscape to all customers and have noticed a recent trend for many users to favor IE's complete "integration" with the os. I personally hate having IE on my system at all, but think if at all possible it could help the browser immensely if it could replace the existing integration completely with a Netscape type of interface.

#15 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by Vincent <linx@ecf.toronto.edu>

Wednesday January 6th, 1999 11:45 PM

There's a way to remove IE from Win95 completely. Check out the following link: <http://www.compuclinic.com/osr2faq/> Check the section near the bottom of the page I can't believe DOJ still haven't heard about this article yet!!!

#16 Re:Removing IE from Win98

by Vincent <linx@ecf.toronto.edu>

Wednesday January 6th, 1999 11:45 PM

#17 Re: Removing IE from Win98

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Sunday January 10th, 1999 11:44 AM

The problem is related to IE4 not IE3 and Win98 is the focus now.