Phoenix 0.5 Released

Saturday December 7th, 2002

Version 0.5 of Phoenix has been released for Linux and Windows. Amongst other improvements, this version now allows you to set a group of tabs as your home page and open history items in tabs. There's also support for the Back and Forward buttons on the IntelliMouse Explorer and Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000 users will find that the Classic theme now blends in better with the operating system style. Of course, this release is also smaller and faster than ever before.

Check out the Release Notes and then grab a build. Give your feedback in the Phoenix Forums.

0.5 will be the last release to be called Phoenix. Version 0.6, expected in January, will have a new name. And they really mean it this time.

#1 Some problems with FTP

by Blake <blaker@netscape.com>

Saturday December 7th, 2002 6:19 PM

We're having some issues with the FTP servers. If you have trouble getting a build, please try again later.

#3 Re: Some problems with FTP (try this link)

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Saturday December 7th, 2002 6:45 PM

<http://ftp36.newaol.com/pub/phoenix/releases/0.5/> should be a working link if you're having trouble with the others.

--Asa

#2 Menu Issues

by itomkins

Saturday December 7th, 2002 6:26 PM

If you're getting problems with dismissing menus by clicking on them, this is bug 179567 <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=179567> a problem picked up from the Mozilla trunk.

#4 This build rocks!

by Dougieha

Saturday December 7th, 2002 9:59 PM

I've been trying the Phoenix builds all along, and I haven't been 100% sold until now. This build is fast, small, looks great with some of the new themes that actually skin the whole interface (not just leaving the OS's style), e.g. Breeze, and solves some of the problems I had with Phoenix earlier.

I can't wait till 0.6...

Your thoughts?...

Doug Halamay

#25 Re: This build rocks!

by jilles

Tuesday December 10th, 2002 4:05 AM

I have to agree. I've replaced mozilla 1.2.1 with it since monday. There's a few performance issues though. The sidebar feels sluggish on my slow workstation at work (400 mhz pII) and the preference dialog is really slow when closing it (even on my amd xp 2200+ at home). Other than that, it does everything I need it to do. I do miss the mozilla style custom sidebars though. It would be nice if those could be added (only lose the tabbed interface mozilla uses).

#26 Re: regression

by laszlo

Tuesday December 10th, 2002 7:26 AM

From the FAQ int the release notes of 0.5:

"Will I be able to get web content sidebar panels like I can with Mozilla?

Yes, but possibly not until after 1.0."

#5 uninstallation needs modification, too

by jeti

Sunday December 8th, 2002 2:05 AM

I just wanted everyone to know that I've updated RadialContext for Phoenix. I haven't finished testing, but it looks like everything, including the prefs panel, is working fine again.

You can grab it at <http://www.gamemakers.de/mozilla/radialcontext/> .

Enjoy, Jens

#6 name change

by jilles

Sunday December 8th, 2002 6:49 AM

What happened to the name change? I understood that BIOS maker Phoenix had complained.

#7 Re: name change

by nirwana

Sunday December 8th, 2002 7:23 AM

This announcement says at the bottom: "Version 0.6, expected in January, will have a new name. And they really mean it this time. "

#31 Renaming Phoenix

by tampere0

Tuesday December 10th, 2002 10:20 AM

I've come up with a couple of new names , which would both capture the nimbleness of Phoenix 0.5 and distinguish it from the products of Phoenix Technologies. They are (1)Phoenix Express, (2)Phoenix Flier.

Robert Smith

#8 looks good

by morg

Sunday December 8th, 2002 11:50 AM

It looks good so far. Only thing is that the taskbar icons are whacked (testing in Windows)

#9 Re: looks good

by MXN

Sunday December 8th, 2002 3:36 PM

You can download Grayrest's Iconpack ( <http://iconpacks.mozdev.org/installation.html> ). Just unzip it to your phoenix/chrome/ folder.

- MXN <http://mxn.netfirms.com/index.html>

#10 Re: looks good

by MXN

Sunday December 8th, 2002 3:38 PM

#11 bug filed

by morg

Sunday December 8th, 2002 3:43 PM

Okay. I'll check those icons out. I think it should have some Mozilla/Phoenix icon for the taskbar by default, though.

Filed this bug:

<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=184298>

#12 GUI Wackness in 0.5

by clark

Sunday December 8th, 2002 7:56 PM

0.5 seems to be a bit faster, but the GUI changes in the Windows build seem a little, erm, stinky? The background of the address bar, when it drops down, is grey; the status bar is now sunken in-- which isn't necessarily bad, but the top edge seems flat instead of beveled; the lock icon that appears when viewing HTTPS pages doesn't fit right; the task bar icon and the title bar icon is the default windows icon (easy to change, but it shouldn't be like that by default). I love Phoenix, but it's looks got a little sloppy in 0.5. :) It sort of reminds me of an ugly GTK layout.

Is all this too critical? Or does this kind of feedback actually matter?

#13 regression

by ed_welch

Monday December 9th, 2002 3:30 AM

The mouse cursor no longer changes to a pointy finger when you hoover over a link.

#19 Re: regression

by robdogg

Monday December 9th, 2002 1:59 PM

Yep, same issue. Kind of annoying, but ok.

#20 Re: regression

by laszlo

Monday December 9th, 2002 2:24 PM

You're on Win95 or NT4? Then you're probably seeing bug 182695 <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=182695>

#14 Prefs are slow?

by pointwood

Monday December 9th, 2002 3:31 AM

I'm on a P4 2Ghz with 512MB memory, so my system should be fast enough...I think :)

When saving the preferences, it stalls for a while - why is that?

#28 Re: Prefs are slow?

by Zedzap

Tuesday December 10th, 2002 7:38 AM

Because it sux?

#15 Intellimouse support in Netscape 7.0?

by DeepFreeze3

Monday December 9th, 2002 3:38 AM

I wonder when support for Microsoft's Intellimouse back & forth buttons will trickle down to Netscape 7.0? It's getting to be a pain doing it "the old fashioned way".

#16 themes won't work.

by johnlar <johnlar@tfn.net>

Monday December 9th, 2002 7:51 AM

On both WinXP computers I've tried pheonix on when I switch themes it only changed the back and forward button, nothing else in the theme is changed???

#17 Re: themes won't work.

by cdn

Monday December 9th, 2002 8:06 AM

that would be because most themes for Px intend to respect the underlying OS UI settings, whereas Orbit 3+1, ported from Moz, supplies it's own backgrounds

#21 just "Customize"

by webgremlin <junk@transientweb.com>

Monday December 9th, 2002 2:30 PM

above is not the problem... it's like the old Moz theme-switching bugs. you can get it to change all the buttons and anything else affected by the theme if you right click on the toolbar and hit "Customize toolbars" (or whatever that menu item actually says). I would expect restarting Phoenix to fix it too.

#23 Re: themes won't work.

by 1125

Monday December 9th, 2002 3:47 PM

I have found that applying themes in sequence does neat things. For example, Phusion, followed by Sky Pilot (By Kang for Mozilla) yields Phusion buttons abd Sky Pilot color schemes, for a very nice effect. When I did this in release 0.4, the location bar often failed to disply, but all works correctly in 0.5.

#18 Slower?

by volkris

Monday December 9th, 2002 10:47 AM

Am I the only one who finds Phoenix to actually be slower? Perhaps it's because my laptop doesn't have all that much ram, but this release is completely unusably slow while those in the past have been great.

Am I alone out there?

#22 Re: Slower?

by MXN

Monday December 9th, 2002 2:55 PM

For me, scrolling in the Bookmarks sidebar, typing in some textareas, and pulling down menus are slower than in previous releases. I'm guessing that this might be because of the Classic theme's new support for the Windows 9.x style.

(Using Mozilla Phoenix 0.5, Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222, Classic theme.)

- MXN <http://mxn.netfirms.com/index.html>

#24 BIG Memory leak

by zero0w

Monday December 9th, 2002 4:31 PM

This release could have some serious meomory leak problem.... I find mozilla consumes less memory as I have used it over time... My whole swap partition is used up.... what's the problem?

#27 Hey Asa the one got bribed by Microsoft

by Zedzap

Tuesday December 10th, 2002 7:36 AM

Don't think we all not know what you do, also prove I clone flooded your irc server. I guess its all because of your nazism or some Jew developers personal religious hate.

Fucking fascist, fucking geeks, STOP killing my favorite browser, go somewhere else!

proud Opera 7 owner... heh yea, after buying Opera 6, upgraded to this 7 one. Bye Netscape, welcome Opera.

God damn racist moron.