Trunk Frozen for Mozilla 1.3 Alpha

Wednesday December 4th, 2002

The main development tree was closed at 12:01:09 PST this morning in preparation for the release of Mozilla 1.3 Alpha. The freeze will remain in effect until 1.3 Alpha is released, when the trunk will reopen for checkins for 1.3 Beta. The ideal release date for 1.3 Alpha is Friday but remember that this date is not set in stone. For more information, see the Roadmap.

#1 What's new in 1.3?

by hepjedi

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 8:17 AM

Just wondering what's new in this release, or planned for 1.3

#2 Re: What's new in 1.3?

by mbokil

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 8:43 AM

I am kind of curious if the "move incoming messages determined to be junk mail to:" feature will be activated. That feature will definatly make Mozilla Mail not suck. Mozilla Mail on 1.3a 20021204 has been working pretty sweet for me on mandrake linux 9.0 as my main mail client. All those poor windows users still using outlook and getting viruses on a daily basis *sigh*. ;-)

-mark

#19 Re: What's new in 1.3?

by jonik

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 2:38 PM

Yeah, I'm curious about that as well... Btw, the bug to follow is this: <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=181394>

#23 Re: Re: What's new in 1.3?

by leafdigital

Thursday December 5th, 2002 3:07 AM

I still use Outlook Express, because unfortunately, for a couple of fundamental factors of the way I use it, it's still much better than Mozilla Mail. (Both of these issues have RFEs in Bugzilla, and I won't waste space by plugging them again here.)

(Of course, I never get viruses because (a) I keep OE up to date, and (b) I run a virus checker.)

I'd love to start using Mozilla mail, not just because of spam detection, but in particular because of the 'view html messages as simple html' feature, and because of some bugs in OE that are a bit annoying. But I can't as yet. I'm hoping that maybe around 1.5 they'll get around to the things I want.

--sam

#29 Don't use Mozilla mail

by mlippert <mlippert255@yahoo.com>

Friday December 6th, 2002 10:51 AM

I still like Eudora best for email.

#27 Re: Re: What's new in 1.3?

by an_mo

Friday December 6th, 2002 10:11 AM

Speaking of mail that should not suck can you please vote for <a href="<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=183929>">bug 183929</a> (add manual option to filters)? Thanks.

#28 Re: Re: What's new in 1.3?

by an_mo

Friday December 6th, 2002 10:13 AM

#3 blink blink

by betz

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 8:45 AM

wow, what an ugly warning! BLINK Rules! :)

#4 Re: blink blink

by mbokil

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 8:50 AM

yah, seriously the blink thing was kind of funny but now it has to GO! It is very distracting and gives me a headache.

#5 that made me laugh out loud! (n/t)

by mozineAdmin

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 8:51 AM

#6 Please turn it off!

by Radiowriter

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 9:28 AM

Man, is that ever annoying!

#9 I asume it is a joke?? :-)

by StigN

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 10:15 AM

(I mean combining the two most hated properiatary tags. Who could think of that in a seriously way?)

#11 MARQUEEE!!!!!

by morg

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 11:07 AM

This is probably why AOL stock is down.

Oh, and by the way, please fix the stupiid login/password thing. It doesn't work with password manager.

#7 The mind of design

by ccapeng

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 9:38 AM

In the Post Talkback box, the marquee is running too fast. The bold font and blinking make it worse. It's very distracting because of the design of the page, not borswer features.

#10 Of course it's a joke...

by ksheka

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 10:21 AM

The blinking marque says "No html is allowed in your text"... and, in doing so, lets us know why. :-) Pretty self-explanatory, if you ask me...

#8 Turned blinking off

by Racer

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 10:13 AM

I had to add this to my prefs.js file (while Mozilla was not running) due to the huge annoyance of the crappy MozillaZine blinking text: user_pref("browser.blink_allowed",false);

Please turn blinking off! Also, why the heck is it enabled by default anyways? And given that its such a contraversial option, why is there not a UI item to turn it off??

#12 Re: blink blink

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 11:20 AM

It's gone now. Jason will be ritually executed later.

Alex

#13 egad

by morg

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 11:21 AM

Egad. The scourge of marquee has spread to Netscape.com. Another site to stop visiting.

#14 Re: Netscape.com not using marquee

by schapel

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 11:53 AM

That's not a marquee tag... that's JavaScript scrolling the text. Most scrolling text I've seen on the web is not marquee.

#18 Re: Re: Netscape.com not using marquee

by mbokil

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 2:26 PM

ah, yah it is html. they are using both a marque tag and blink tag together for maximum annoyance value. html is allowed in your text - urls will be converted to

#15 So Soon after 1.2?

by peterlairo <Peter@Lairo.com>

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 12:48 PM

This *seems* very soon after 1.2 (1.2.1) was released. Was there even enough time to get anything into this "release"?

#16 Re: So Soon after 1.2?

by techn9ne

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 1:17 PM

1.3a is based off the "trunk". Which means it contains fixes since 1.2a branched off a couple months ago.

#17 Re: So Soon after 1.2?

by leeal

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 1:25 PM

If you take a look at the roadmap, 1.2 was branched on Nov 1, 2002. That means the 1.2 branch co-exist with the trunk (1.3) for more than a month already.

#20 Re: So Soon after 1.2?

by bzbarsky

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 3:51 PM

Yes. Go look at the hundreds of trunk checkins on tinderbox since 1.2 branched.

#21 What about 1.02

by PC1

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 5:04 PM

I am using 1.2.1 on Win2000, but I had some infrequent problems when Mozilla freezes when I use "File Bookmark". I do not mind this issue although it is a pain in the neck, but I was suggesting Mozilla to one of my friends and I thought that 1.02 will be more stable for the common PC user(!). I know that Mozilla is supposed to be for development and developers etc... but I always recomend Mozilla to my friends rather than Netscape which has all the junk added to it.

Any news about version 1.02?

#22 Also crashes when I try to install a skin

by PC1

Wednesday December 4th, 2002 5:32 PM

It crashed when I tried to install Little Mozilla Skin. Downloading the file and trying to nstall it from the hard disk did not work either. The crash occured when I clicked on the fiile on the page (or on trying to load the file from the hard disk) before the installation commenses. Mozilla 1.2.1 is not that stable to me. The crash was no prevented when I disabled Tiny Personal Firewall on Win2000.

#24 182997

by Tar

Thursday December 5th, 2002 6:35 AM

#25 Annoyances in MailNews

by Tar

Thursday December 5th, 2002 6:43 AM

For me bug "75866 - Viewing message for very short time shouldn't mark it as read" is the biggest annoyance in Mozilla MailNews, but still I've moved to Moz MN from OE and I'm prepared to suffer for a while :/ <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75866>

#26 why is this a big annoyance?

by johann_p

Friday December 6th, 2002 9:07 AM

after all, you can mark the message unread quite easily any time ...