Message Views Coming to Mozilla in 1.3 Alpha

Monday November 4th, 2002

Seth Spitzer has posted a message to netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news about a new feature for Mail & Newsgroups known as 'message views'. The feature, coded by Scott "mscott" MacGregor, allows you to apply what are essentially saved searches to your mail folders and subscribed newsgroups. By default, several message views will be defined, including 'People I Know' (messages from people in your Personal Address Book), 'Not Junk' (which will be enabled when the spam filtering feature has landed) and the self-explanatory 'All' and 'Unread'. There's also views for each of your message labels and you'll be able to create your own views using a dialogue similar to the Search Messages UI. For more details, read the relevant thread in netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news or take a look at the bug, which includes a couple of pretty screenshots.

#1 great

by macpeep

Monday November 4th, 2002 12:12 PM

This is great. I've been designing an email app as my pet project for quite some time where all folders are virtual and just a result of stored search rules. It's great to see it coming to Mozilla. Many people who use Outlook totally love its "views" feature and I understand it was very liked in BeOS where the idea was even further extended.

What bothers me, though, is that the Mail & News client UI is of quite poor quality. Probably the most obvious is the "Get Messages" button which seems to NOT be working more often that it's working. I can't believe that major new features are being worked on when there are so clear broken features (that have been broken for litterally years) in the application.

#2 Re: great

by broadbandbra

Monday November 4th, 2002 1:03 PM

sounds like a blocker bug to me if your get messages button doesn't work as advertised.... look around on Bugzilla at mozilla.org and if you don't find any related bugs, file one.

that's how "clear broken features (that have been broken for litterally years)" get fixed.

Mine works fine everytime on my Linux OS I've never seen this issue.

#14 Re: Re: great

by macpeep

Monday November 4th, 2002 11:05 PM

There are about 50 bugs on it, that's the whole point!

#4 Re: great

by sspitzer <sspitzer@mozilla.com>

Monday November 4th, 2002 1:14 PM

what's the bug number for the "get messages" bug?

#7 Re: Re: great

by gob

Monday November 4th, 2002 3:08 PM

I did a search and these might be what macpeep is talking about. <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=89404> "get all new messages" should never be disabled <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=127461> Get New Messages stops working for one account

While I'm at it this one is annoying two. :) <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=170669> Manually clicking 'Get new messages' duplicates custom headers in filters

#22 get msgs button behavior is improved

by sspitzer <sspitzer@mozilla.com>

Saturday November 9th, 2002 2:06 AM

I've fixed the behaviour and enabling of the "Get Msgs" button.

1) make it always enabled (bug #89404, bug #111102) 2) if news server selected, it updates the unread counts on that server 3) if "Local Folders" selected, it does "get msgs" for default account

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

-Seth

#15 Re: Re: great

by macpeep

Monday November 4th, 2002 11:11 PM

"what's the bug number for the "get messages" bug?"

Lots, but this is the one that annoys me the most: <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=111102>

There are about 20 duplicate bugs filed on it (increasingly often now it seems) and the bug has 20 votes.

Searching BugZilla on "get msgs" gives a long list of other similar issues tho some probably have been closed by now in reality.

#20 Re: Re: great

by lama <lasse@lama.no>

Tuesday November 5th, 2002 2:08 PM

Here's a tracking bug for get messages: <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=165832> If you're looking for really serious mail bugs you might want to check this one as well: <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=142196>

#3 MozMail not stuck!

by ckjnigel

Monday November 4th, 2002 1:03 PM

I recall somebody (Blake?) saying in a thread about Thunderbird/Minotaur in the Phoenix forums that MozMail wasn't going anywhere. This gives the lie to that dis . As to that criticism of the UI, isn't it really just a matter of which mail client somebody got used to way back when? I cannot comprehend the fanaticism for Mulberry's UI, just as some cannot understand my fondness of Mahogany's. And I still think that Ami 1.0 is the best word processor. But, this is why it is so great that these projects are open -- somebody can take the code and do it the way they think right!

#8 Re: played with it today.....

by Blake <blaker@netscape.com>

Monday November 4th, 2002 3:14 PM

I never said that anywhere. Thanks for misquoting me...

#13 MozMail not stuck!

by ckjnigel

Monday November 4th, 2002 8:45 PM

Glad it wasn't you, Blake!

#17 Re: MozMail not stuck!

by macpeep

Monday November 4th, 2002 11:21 PM

I don't think the criticism is about what the UI looks like but the quality of it. Things are broken (such as the Get Msgs button), widgets are seemingly just thrown out at random places in dialogs with random borders without any consistency (just about any dialog in the Mail & News app), etc.

#5 Cool but when wil IMAP be open sourced?

by bugs4hj <bugs4hj@netscape.net>

Monday November 4th, 2002 1:40 PM

I was reading that bug report and this snap of text: "good news, I've open sourced mscott's work." This sounds good but when can we expect IMAP to be open sourced?

#6 Re: Cool but when wil IMAP be open sourced?

by turi

Monday November 4th, 2002 2:06 PM

Hm? Probably I didn't get what you want to say, but the IMAP related source files I've found are either under the NPL/GPL/LGPL or MPL/GPL/LGPL and therefore open. Or are you talking about something different?

#10 It's Netscape's WebMail that I'm talking about

by bugs4hj <bugs4hj@netscape.net>

Monday November 4th, 2002 5:45 PM

Hm, maybe it's me but I was under the impression that you can't check Netscape's webmail with mozilla, but again, maybe I'm off track here. Wasn't there something you need from AOL/Netscape but that isn't part (yet) of mozilla because of license stuff?

#12 Re: It's Netscape's WebMail that I'm talking about

by james

Monday November 4th, 2002 8:03 PM

Netscape's and AOL's webmail systems aren't using IMAP, IIRC. I use IMAP to talk to my mail server every day, so it definitely works.

I don't know what protocol netscape's mail uses. If someone reverse engineered the protocol and wrote the support code, I am sure it would have a chance of being merged into Mozilla though.

#16 NSCP webmail makes use of AOL's AIM

by bugs4hj <bugs4hj@netscape.net>

Monday November 4th, 2002 11:20 PM

I installed NSCP7 now look at these settings: Server Type: IMAP Mail Server Server Name: imap.mail.netscape.com

That looks like IMAP to me, however, it doesn't work without AIM running. Also note the IM button in your addressbook. What is that doing there? Why isn't it hidden or totally removed?

I wonder if mozilla can access the IMAP server when AIM is running, didn't try that, yet.

#18 Re: NSCP webmail makes use of AOL's AIM

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday November 4th, 2002 11:36 PM

Mozilla handles IMAP fine. I've been using Mozilla'a IMAP functionality for several years and it works great. Mozilla operates with the IMAP standard just fine. That means we work with any IMAP servers that do IMAP appropriately. Netscape Webmail is not straight IMAP. Netscape webmail uses some proprietary stuff and IMAP, support for the proprietary stuff isn't in the Mozilla tree and probably shouldn't be. We don't support any of the other proprietary webmail mess either. We do POP and IMAP as the standards are written. If your webmail offers real IMAP or real POP services then Mozilla will work with that. I don't think that it's a very good idea to add a bunch of code to support one non-standard email server. If someone did an implementation I'd recommend taking it to mozdev.org and making it into an extension/plugin.

--Asa

#19 Yahoo!POPs, Hotmail Popper, AOL2POP...NSCP2POP?

by ckjnigel

Tuesday November 5th, 2002 12:22 AM

Of course, Yahoo POP is plain vanilla POP -- if you pay. All three programs can grab mail, display and respond using MozMail or most other POP mail clients. I'd guess the same method could be used to grab Netscape mail to display in POP clients. I oughta add that, for me, they don't work well and are very slow.

#21 Re: Re: NSCP webmail makes use of AOL's AIM

by bugs4hj <bugs4hj@netscape.net>

Wednesday November 6th, 2002 10:32 PM

IMAP is fine, I'm talking about Netscape/AOL IMAP, and so, what about the IM button? Why is that added to the addressbook?

note: that is using the same 'proprietary' protocol.

#9 Thanks Mozillazine!

by jedbro

Monday November 4th, 2002 5:00 PM

Just wanted to say "Cheers" to Mozillazine for publicizing this info.

Good to know Mail And News in innovating as well... sweetass!

#11 Calendar!

by flacco

Monday November 4th, 2002 6:21 PM

It's disappointing to see so little involvement in Mozilla Calendar (by NS or others). Interoperation between mail and calendar is creeping along, but a full-featured multi-user calendar that interacts naturally with the rest of the mozilla suite would give the Mozilla mail client a LOT more momentum.

#23 Man

by wvw

Sunday November 24th, 2002 5:27 AM

This is gonna be a killer mail-app! Congrats.