Poll Completed, New Poll Up

Monday November 30th, 1998

Well, amazingly enough, Linux won the poll, which asked "What platform are you currently using/developing Seamonkey (the new NGLayout / XPToolkits code) on?" The big surprise was that second place, with 200 of the 800 votes, went to "Not currently working on or using Mozilla." You can view the full results to find out how your OS did.

Second, we have put up a new poll, which asks what features you would like to see added (or not).

#1 Re:Poll Completed, New Poll Up

by Victor Bogado da Silva Lins <bogado@openlink.com.br>

Tuesday December 1st, 1998 2:43 AM

I think that those 23% are the people that are realy interested in mozilla but don't have programming skills.

Me I do have programing skill, but I couldn't set up the mozilla to compile, due to lack of machine. I only have 32Mb.

#2 Re:Poll Completed, New Poll Up

by Stephen Moore

Wednesday December 2nd, 1998 2:49 AM

I would like to have a crack at it but have never been able to get it to compile because either, i didn't have motif (and couldnt get it to work with lestif), and I now am not doing anything because I dont have the right version of gtk libries and am not prepared to get on that treadmill ass well:{ Hopefully when 1.2 comes out I may have a look

#3 Re:Poll Completed, New Poll Up

by Stuart Ballard

Wednesday December 2nd, 1998 7:03 AM

Seconded! Does anyone have any inside knowledge on when binaries will be available again from mozilla.org/binaries.html? I can't wait to start using it, but there's no way I would be able to get it to compile.

Stuart.

#4 Re:Linux libc5 binaries?

by Len Trigg <trigg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>

Wednesday December 2nd, 1998 2:19 PM

Does anyone know where to get binaries for Linux using libc5? All the binaries I've seen have been glibc. I don't want to compile it myself, but am interested in testing it out.

I figure since the poll said most developers are using Linux there should be a libc5 version somewhere (especially since that 23% of non-developers are probably interested in helping test)

Cheers, Len.

#5 Re:Poll Completed, New Poll Up

by Alex Chudnovsky <b9678050@wlv.ac.uk>

Thursday December 3rd, 1998 12:45 PM

Itis not surpsise (at least for me) that 2nd place is those who do not work _currently_ on Mozilla, it's surprise that it's not 1st place. Personally I do not work on it because I am more keen to add features rather then fight zillions of bugs in NOT MINE CODE PIECES. This is perhaps true for many, I guess it would be GOOD idea to make additional poll just to find out WHY people do not work on mozilla, possible asnwers are: 1. Lack of skill 2. No good machine around (RAM, HDD etc) 3. I code MS IE 4. Waiting for released stable version to start adding features. 5. other

Regards, alex

p.s. Why it's not surprise for me to see lack of people working for it is that I have noted long time ago that most of module owners are guys with @netscape.com. Also it was noted in Halloween documents that traffic fallen in newsgroups dedicated to Mozilla, I have mentioned it too. Hence those who do not work on mozilla didn't score #1 in this poll just beacuse MANY of those who do not work at all just do not care to read this site!!!

#6 Re:Poll Completed, New Poll Up

by arielb

Saturday December 5th, 1998 4:34 PM

Alex: if you look at the layout newsgroup you will see that it went up dramatically in the past month or two. Now I guess Netscape could've opened up 4.x and you'd have a stable base to work on. But I think in the end you'll agree that opening up the pre-alpha 5 was the best approach.