Full Article Attached Trunk Open to 1.2 Beta Checkins

Tuesday September 10th, 2002

Asa Dotzler has posted a newsgroup message announcing that the main development tree has been reopened to checkins for Mozilla 1.2 Beta. Visit the Roadmap for information about the development schedule and tinderbox for the latest tree status.

#1 Mozilla performance observation

by ph1nn <ph1nn@earthlink.net>

Tuesday September 10th, 2002 10:59 PM

For a while I thought Mozilla (i use 1.1) was faster than IE5+, but then after using Win2k (IE 5.5) for a couple days (normaly in linux) i noticed something that makes IE feel snappier. The pages may not load faster in the complete load time, but they BEGIN to load faster than Mozilla. Mozilla always seems to download most of the page before it starts loading (takes a second or two on my dsl), but IE seems to flip right over to the new page as it beings to download...

I wish you guys would tweak that aspect of it... make that initial being-to-load thing faster... That would make the browser feel much lighter and more responsive..

Just a thought..

otherwise awesome browser, oh, and first post! ;P

#2 Re: Mozilla performance observation

by djcovey

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 12:02 AM

There is one area that I really notice the sluggishness of mozilla, and that is when you browse a large page from a local disk. If you have ever looked at the index of the Java API you would have noticed how long it can take for some of the larger index to load. For example choosing 's' from the index takes 8.8 seconds to load from a local disk using Mozilla. I know that when I use IE it takes less than 2 seconds.

This is the only time that I notice any speed difference between Moz and IE. Pitty it is to IE's favour

#3 Messages posted to news servers

by jhatax <manoj_r_mehta@yahoo.co.uk>

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 1:01 AM

I don't have Mozilla installed with the Mail client so each time I have to access a posting made by Asa on the Mozilla news servers, I can't read it or my windows box goes insane trying to find a default news reading application (and opens up Outlook Express - I don't have it configured to do anything except sit on my hard-disk!). Could any newsgroup messages be copied and pasted into the news piece at mozillazine so people like me can read them.

Thanks!

#7 go to google groups

by buckminster

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 8:43 AM

<http://groups.google.com/…la&btnG=Google+Search>

Here's a list of the groups under netscape.public.mozilla

#10 Re: go to google groups

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 9:34 AM

Unfortunately, when this article was published the news posting wasn't yet archived on Google Groups. Therefore the link had to point to news.mozilla.org. However, the message is now available on Google Groups and the link has been updated.

Alex

#9 Re: Messages posted to news servers

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 9:31 AM

"Could any newsgroup messages be copied and pasted into the news piece at mozillazine so people like me can read them."

You didn't notice the 'Full Article...' link?

Alex

#17 Local Disco SLOOOWW!!

by jedbro

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 10:25 AM

I have noticed the same problem. I usually have two tabs loading on startup in multizilla and the later to load is ALWAYS my localdisk page. even if the web site is twice as long in size and more images.... I've tested this ina stand-alone window with both and loca-access is way to slow? Why would this be?

#12 Re: Argh...2

by roc <roc+moz@cs.cmu.edu>

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 9:37 AM

Try a latest build from the 1.2 trunk. Some changes have been made to event handling on Windows which may have improved this.

#4 Asa's Newsgroup Message

by zipo13

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 1:58 AM

Subject: tree is now open to mozilla 1.2b checkins From: <asa@mozilla.org> (Asa Dotzler) Date: 11 Sep 2002 01:44:11 GMT To: <mozilla-seamonkey@mozilla.org>, <mozilla-builds@mozilla.org> Newsgroups: netscape.public.mozilla.builds,netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey

The tree is now open to mozilla 1.2b checkins. Checkins to 1.2b do not require a= (until Oct9,) just the regular r= and sr=. See <<http://www.mozilla.org/ro…dmap.html#tree-management>>

--Asa

#5 Mozilla 1.2 Alpha Builds

by brad_quinn <brad_quinn@yahoo.com>

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 8:03 AM

Will there be an official 1.2a build? I donít see one labeled as such here <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/>

#8 Re: Mozilla 1.2 Alpha Builds

by neo_futo

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 8:59 AM

Good question!

I'm itching to try out an official 1.2 Alpha. It's amzaing though how fast development is just moving along recently.

#11 Re: Mozilla 1.2 Alpha Builds

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 9:36 AM

When 1.2 Alpha is available it will be uploaded to <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pu…lla/releases/mozilla1.2a/>

Alex

#13 Re: Re: Mozilla 1.2 Alpha Builds

by dgk

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 9:59 AM

Are we talking about days, or hours, before 1.2a is ready for download?

#14 Re: Re: Re: Mozilla 1.2 Alpha Builds

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 10:10 AM

"Are we talking about days, or hours, before 1.2a is ready for download?"

Asa says hours. <http://www.mozillazine.or…f=1&i=5797&t=5794>

Asa

#16 Argh! I forgot my name! (n/t)

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 10:12 AM

This space has been left intentionally blank.

Alex (and yes, I'm certain that is my name!)

#18 Re: Site Icons

by D00msday

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 11:36 AM

Hmmm So Asa and AlexBishop are the same person. I knew it. ;-)

#15 Re: Re: Re: Mozilla 1.2 Alpha Builds

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 10:10 AM

"Are we talking about days, or hours, before 1.2a is ready for download?"

Asa says hours. <http://www.mozillazine.or…f=1&i=5797&t=5794>

Alex

#6 Mozilla 1.2 Alpha Builds

by brad_quinn <brad_quinn@yahoo.com>

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 8:17 AM

#19 Mozilla 1.2 final (little bit off-topic...)

by turrican

Wednesday September 11th, 2002 2:32 PM

Asa: Will there be differences in the branching time of the various finals (e.g. 1.1 and 1.2)? I could imagine, that e.g every second final (e.g.1 1.2, 1.4 ...) has a longer branching time, to make a more stable release...