Mozilla Installation and Setup Checklist

Tuesday September 3rd, 2002

Dave writes: "I have an article on how to install and do some 'must-have' basic configuration at http://users.rcn.com/djgoodwin/moz.html. This might be useful for beginners or as a checklist for Mozilla fans installing the browser for friends."

#1 Mozilla, not MoZilla

by fab

Tuesday September 3rd, 2002 3:22 PM

The MoZilla hurts my eyes :-) Please restore the lowercase 'z' that we've all grown to love :-) Apart from that, it's great information.

-Fabian.

#2 Any way to *disable* Flash?

by caveat

Tuesday September 3rd, 2002 6:58 PM

I've been able to stop all of the pop-ups and almost all of the banner ads, but my arch nemesis...the _Flash animation_...seems as immutable as death and taxes.

Does anyone know a way to dispatch these annoying Flash animations? Perhaps an undocumented switch or argument? I'd like something simple that doesn't involve additional software like a filtering proxy. TIA

#3 Re: Any way to *disable* Flash?

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Tuesday September 3rd, 2002 8:15 PM

Right now you have two choices: 1. remove the flash plugin. or 2. install jesse's bookmarklet for zapping plugins <http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html> Choice number 1 is a bit heavy-handed and choice number 2 is a bit too gentle. I opted for choice number 2.

--Asa

#4 Re: Re: Any way to *disable* Flash?

by WillyWonka

Tuesday September 3rd, 2002 8:43 PM

Doesn't installing bannerblind.mozdev.org also work?

#8 The permanent solution ...

by mpthomas

Wednesday September 4th, 2002 2:13 AM

... Will be for plug-ins to be controllable in the Helper Apps preferences panel. <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=19118>

(Reminder to new Bugzilla users: Do NOT comment in that bug report unless you are attaching a patch. Saying `this bug really should be fixed', or something similarly useless, will NOT help. Thanks.)

-- mpt

#10 Re: The permanent solution ...

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday September 4th, 2002 10:16 AM

Actually, this doesn't supply what most people want. Most people who want control over plugins want to selectively enable and disable the plugin for specific sites. In the case of flash, the common complaint is that there are a few sites where flash is either necessary (in the case of a site which offers its only navigation in flash) or desirable (a site which has additional content like animations or games in flash) but the majority of sites are using flash for advertising or other unwanted content. The user wants to be able to "fix" that site. They don't want to open prefs, select the plugins/helper apps panel, disable flash, visit the site, return to preferences, select the plugins/helper apps panel, enable flash, visit a site, rinse and repeat. Something like the cookie manager (if that didn't suck so bad) or image blocking would probably be the closes example of what people want for plugins. I suspect that users would consider it a step in the right direction to have this pref-able like you suggest but that's not the level of control people really want.

--Asa

#12 Re: Re: Jedbro

by crumley

Wednesday September 4th, 2002 1:55 PM

Right instead of commenting that a bug should be fixed, _vote_ for the bug.

#18 Any way to *disable* Flash?

by caveat

Thursday September 5th, 2002 8:11 PM

Jesse's Zap Embeds bookmarklet looks to be a reasonable interim solution. Thanks for the hint, asa.

#21 dump flash

by yankeedam <yankeedamn@juno.com>

Saturday February 7th, 2004 7:36 PM

1. Check out this web page: <http://faq.ozoneasylum.com/446/> -- lots of tweaks that work for me, but I don't know which one, or even it might be: 2. Use the Proxomitron (Google to find it). -- yankeedam

#5 MailNews and searchengines

by eiseli

Tuesday September 3rd, 2002 11:08 PM

I know, you are talking of your personal preferences, but just telling right away not to install Mail/News is quite disappointing. You don't even mention a short reason for that. Actually, I have a non-techie friend who loves the Mozilla News and says it's superior in many points to OutlookExpress6. I cannot tell, since I've never used this piece of virusware. Maybe the same applies to Mozilla Mail vs OE6. I think, Mozilla Mail/News is already very usable and only inferior to software like very specialized Mail and News clients (Eudora, Forte Agent).

It would be nice to mention at the place where you say "Set Google your default search or your favorite", that the favorite my be found on Mycroft <http://mycroft.mozdev.org/> .

Thanks for the otherwise excellent article.

ricky

#13 I agree, somewhat

by ecarlson

Wednesday September 4th, 2002 8:56 PM

I started to get angry when I first read the part that said to install everything except Mail and News. But then I realized that the article is for people who only want to replace their browser.

Mozilla is my mail client, and I like it a lot. I've been using the Netscape/Mozilla mail client for over 5 years, and I have over 50,000 messages stored, and lots of filters set up. I can see why some people would not want to replace whatever mail client they are using, and it is good to have a guide that tells how to set up the Mozilla browser only.

I do wish the article at least included a line like "These instructions are for people who do not want to replace their current mail/news client."

Feel free to put that line in the article.

- Eric, <http://www.InvisibleRobot.com/>

#6 my preferred options

by thegoldenear

Wednesday September 4th, 2002 1:52 AM

useful Preferences (user interface menu options and corresponding PREFS.JS settings. if you want to hand write these into the configuration file then that should be in the file USER.JS)

// Navigator -> When Navigator starts up, display : Blank Page user_pref("browser.startup.page", 0);

// Navigator -> Select the buttons you want to see in the toolbars: - Bookmarks - off user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutton.bookmarks", false);

// Navigator -> Select the buttons you want to see in the toolbars: - Go - off user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutton.go", false);

// Navigator -> Select the buttons you want to see in the toolbars: - Home - off user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutton.home", false);

// Navigator -> Select the buttons you want to see in the toolbars: - Search - on user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutton.search", true);

// Navigator -> Select the buttons you want to see in the toolbars: - Print - off user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutton.print", false);

// Navigator -> Smart Browsing -> Internet Keywords - Enable Internet Keywords - on user_pref("keyword.enabled", true);

// Navigator -> Smart Browsing -> Location Bar Autocomplete -> Automatically complete text typed into Location bar - on // ????????????????????????????????

// Navigator -> Smart Browsing -> Location Bar Autocomplete > Advanced... -> Autocomplete Preferences -> Autocomplete best match as you type - off // ? user_pref("browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled", false);

// Navigator -> Smart Browsing -> Location Bar Autocomplete > Advanced... -> Autocomplete Preferences ->Show list of matching results - on user_pref("browser.urlbar.showPopup", true);

// Navigator -> Smart Browsing -> Location Bar Autocomplete > Advanced... -> Autocomplete Preferences -> Show internet search engine - on user_pref("browser.urlbar.showSearch", true);

// Navigator -> Internet Search -> Default Search Engine -> Search using : Google (or your preferred) user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://D%3A%5Cprograms%5Cmozilla.org%5CMozilla%5Csearchplugins%5Cgoogle.src");

// Navigator -> Internet Search -> Search Results -> Open the Search tab in the Sidebar when search results are available - off user_pref("browser.search.opensidebarsearchpanel", false);

// Navigator -> Tabbed Browsing -> Tab Display -> Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open - on user_pref("browser.tabs.autoHide", true);

// Navigator -> Tabbed Browsing -> Tab Display -> load links in the background - on user_pref("browser.tabs.loadInBackground", true);

// Navigator -> Tabbed Browsing -> Open tabs instead of windows for -> Middle-click or control-click of links in a web page - on user_pref("browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick", true);

// Navigator -> Tabbed Browsing -> Open tabs instead of windows for -> Control+Enter in the URL bar - on user_pref("browser.tabs.opentabfor.urlbar", true)

// Composer -> When Saving or Publishing Pages -> Retain original source formatting - on user_pref("editor.prettyprint", false);

// Composer -> When Saving or Publishing Pages -> Always show Publish dialog when publishing pages - on user_pref("editor.always_show_publish_dialog", true);

// Privacy & Security -> Cookies - Enable cookies for the originating web site only (1) / Enable all cookies (0)? user_pref("network.cookie.cookieBehavior", 0);

// Privacy & Security -> Images -> Image Acceptance Policy -> Accept images that come from the originating server only // (set this if you want to be especially careful, but some sites won't work as expected) // user_pref("network.image.imageBehavior", 1); // or just leave it out

// Privacy & Security -> Images -> Animated images should loop : Once (turns off the tedium of moving images whilst // trying to read. but some sites won't work as expected) user_pref("image.animation_mode", "once");

// Privacy & Security -> Passwords -> Password Manager -> Remember Passwords - off // (depending on personal taste, as its useful but you may not want it and thus may not want to keep // answering 'no' to requests to save). if you want it on just leave out this pref // user_pref("signon.rememberSignons", false);

// Privacy & Security -> Passwords -> Encrypting versus Obscuring : use encryption when storing sensitive data - on/off // (this is a balance of usability versus security)

// Advanced -> Enable features that help interpret web pages -> Enable Java: on // (on by default. you may choose to turn it off to increase security)

// Advanced -> Enable features that increase performance -> Enable Quick Launch -> on/off // (depending whether you have the available RAM. this is off by default and you get the ability to turn it on at installation)

// Advanced -> Scripts & Windows -> Enable JavaScript for: Navigator - on user_pref("javascript.enabled", "true");

// disallow JavaScript for Mail&News user_pref("javascript.allow.mailnews", "false");

// Advanced -> Scripts & Windows -> Allow scripts to: Open unrequested windows - off user_pref("capability.policy.default.Window.open", "noAccess");

// Advanced -> Scripts & Windows -> Allow scripts to: Open a link in a new window (requires restarting Mozilla) - off user_pref("dom.disable_open_during_load", true);

// Advanced -> Scripts & Windows -> Allow scripts to: Move or resize existing windows - off user_pref("dom.disable_window_move_resize", true);

// Advanced -> Scripts & Windows -> Allow scripts to: raise or lower windows - off user_pref("dom.disable_window_flip", true);

// Advanced -> Scripts & Windows -> Allow scripts to: Change status bar text - off user_pref("dom.disable_window_status_change", true);

// Advanced -> Scripts & Windows -> Allow scripts to: Change images - off user_pref("dom.disable_image_src_set", true);

// Advanced -> Scripts & Windows -> Allow scripts to: Create or change cookies - on user_pref("dom.disable_cookie_set", true);

// Advanced -> Scripts & Windows -> Allow scripts to: Read cookies - on user_pref("dom.disable_cookie_get", false);

// Advanced -> Cache -> Memory Cache: 4096 / 8192 / 12288 / 16384 / etc (give it all you can spare) // Mozilla runs faster if you use RAM for the cache, if you've got it to spare. user_pref("browser.cache.memory.capacity", 8192);

// Advanced -> Cache -> Disk Cache Folder -> Choose Folder... (and set to wherever is appropriate, but preferably local) // in Windows, by default the disk cache is stored in %WINDIR%\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\profile name. // if you have your disk partitioned or are spreading Windows over multiple disks for different functions then // you don't want the browser cache growing in the Windows partition. so, locate it in your temp partition, or // wherever you store profiles/caches. this menu option relates to the following in the PREFS.JS file: // (see also network.http.use-cache) user_pref("browser.cache.disk.enable", true); user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory", "F:\\[USERNAME]\\mozilla");

// Advanced -> Software Installation -> Update Notifications -> Check for updates - off user_pref("update_notifications.enabled", false);

// Advanced -> System -> Windows should use Mozilla to open these file types: -> JPEG images - off // Advanced -> System -> Windows should use Mozilla to open these file types: -> GIF images - off // Advanced -> System -> Windows should use Mozilla to open these file types: -> PNG images - off // Advanced -> System -> Windows should use Mozilla to open these file types: -> MNG images - off // Advanced -> System -> Windows should use Mozilla to open these file types: -> BMP images - off // Advanced -> System -> Windows should use Mozilla to open these file types: -> ICO images - off // THESE CANNOT BE CONFIGURED FROM IN HERE BUT YOU SHOULD GET ASKED ON FIRST LOAD OF MOZILLA

// configurable security policies // ============================== // prevent web pages from changing the text in the status bar // (Some web pages create "blind links" by changing the status bar text when you hover over the link, preventing // the link address from being shown in the status bar. This line will turn most blind links into normal links.) user_pref("capability.policy.default.Window.status", "noAccess");

// While using tabbed browser, visiting a page which calls the window.close() method of JavaScript, // the entire window will close, as opposed to the tab which contained the code. (Bug 103452) // As a workaround, you may wish to disable window.close() for all websites by setting the following preference: user_pref("capability.policy.default.Window.close", "noAccess");

#7 maybe 1.0.1 will have the icons

by thegoldenear

Wednesday September 4th, 2002 1:55 AM

sadly the CR/LFs didn't work out on that copy&paste

#9 Wrong prefs

by jonasj

Wednesday September 4th, 2002 8:14 AM

> // Advanced -> Scripts & Windows -> Allow scripts to: Open unrequested windows - off > user_pref("capability.policy.default.Window.open", "noAccess");

No, that pref blocks window.open() everywhere, including when you click a link. To block only unrequested windows, you want user_pref("dom.disable_open_during_load", true);

> // Advanced -> Scripts & Windows -> Allow scripts to: Open a link in a new window (requires restarting Mozilla) - off > user_pref("dom.disable_open_during_load", true);

No. To prevent web pages frmo making pages open in a new window (in other words: override target="_blank"), you use user_pref("browser.block.target_new_window", true);

#11 Wrong prefs

by thegoldenear

Wednesday September 4th, 2002 11:13 AM

marvellous. I remember, when I got all this nailed down, feeling sketchy on these 'scripts and windows' options (documentation is/was sparse). the power of publishing on the web eh! someone comes along and fixes yr borken bits. thanks

#16 Wrong prefs

by jonasj

Thursday September 5th, 2002 5:08 AM

BTW, user_pref("capability.policy.default.Window.status", "noAccess"); is incorrect too. It will prevent web pages from changing your status bar text, but it will also prevent some links from working. You should use dom.disable_window_status_change (which I notice you already have in your list) instead.

#14 GO button question . . .

by ecarlson

Wednesday September 4th, 2002 9:15 PM

And why do I have to click the GO button twice for it to work?

- Eric, <http://www.InvisibleRobot.com/>

#15 Re: GO button question . . .

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Wednesday September 4th, 2002 11:17 PM

"If I turn off the GO button, then I right-click/copy a URL from a text page, then right-click/paste that URL into the URL bar, how do I also use the mouse to GO to that page? Do I really have to reach for my keyboard if I turn off the GO button?"

If you've got the Tab Bar visible you could drag the contents of the Location Bar to a tab (or a blank area of the Tab Bar if you want a new tab). In fact, you can drag a plain text URL from another application onto a tab or the Tab Bar and have it load this way (no need for copy 'n' paste).

"And why do I have to click the GO button twice for it to work?"

There's a bug on that somewhere. It only occurs when the autocomplete drop-down is visible (it acts like a window in front of the current Navigator window).

Alex

#17 Tab bar link dropping

by ecarlson

Thursday September 5th, 2002 8:20 AM

Tab bar link dropping is very cool. Thanks for the tip.

I think I'll leave the GO button active since my tab bar isn't always present.

- Eric, <http://www.InvisibleRobot.com/>

#19 silly question

by solar

Monday September 9th, 2002 1:22 PM

I'm interested in installing 1.1 and currently have 1.0 running. I notice the instructions for install of 1.1 say to install it in a separate directory. However there are no instructions as to what to do with the old version, how to delete it (or whether to) and how to import preferences, bookmarks, etc. Knowledge of this all seems to be assumed (a dangerous assumption) but I am not one to operate on assumptions and can find no information that answers these questions.

Can anyone give me an idea of what to do?

#20 Re: silly question

by ecarlson

Tuesday September 10th, 2002 5:59 PM

I assume you're talking about the Windows version. I uninstalled 1.0 (Via Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs), then I deleted the "C:\Program Files\Mozilla.org" directory, then I rebooted, then I installed 1.1.

Then I followed the instructions in the online FAQ to copy my old profile information to my new profile location.

In theory, you can uninstall 1.0, then install 1.1, and it should use the old 1.0 profile, but I haven't tried that method, and it's only a theory.

#22 home button

by yankeedam <yankeedamn@juno.com>

Saturday February 7th, 2004 7:40 PM

Stinky old Internet Explorer is kind enough to let me have a Home button on the navigation line. Why won't Mozilla (1.6)? Yes, I can add a personal toolbar with Home on it, but that shortens my readable page by a line. -- yankeedam