Full Article Attached Mozilla Branches for 1.1

Monday August 5th, 2002

As announced by Asa Dotzler in a message to netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey, the 1.1 branch has been created. The trunk is now open for checkins for 1.2 Alpha. Read the full article for more details.

#1 Make Mozilla 1.1 not suck bug nomination

by rdebay

Monday August 5th, 2002 8:12 PM

Bug 153815 <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=153815> crashes my web mail constantly, and is a topcrasher. I don't want to modify the not-suck bug, where is the appropriate place to push for this?

Thanks, Rick

#47 Re: Make Mozilla 1.1 not suck bug nomination

by ph1nn <ph1nn@earthlink.net>

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 11:34 PM

strange that didnt cause a crash for me, using build 1.1b

#48 Re: Re: Make Mozilla 1.1 not suck bug nomination

by mesostinky

Thursday August 8th, 2002 12:36 AM

Try this bug <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=159146> its the same one. I got through about 8-9 pages, ie clicked page 1, page 2 a few items, page 3, page 4, etc etc. Until it crashes, which it does for me every time, this is under the 8/04/02 build.

#2 My vote for most annoying bug

by jp2

Monday August 5th, 2002 10:10 PM

Bug 159002 <a href="<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=159002>">159002</a> causes Mozilla windows to pop to front all the time, that's the most annoying bug for me - and it should be easy to fix!

#9 Re: My vote for most annoying bug

by turi

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 6:37 AM

Please be careful when saying things like "and it should be easy to fix!". You can anger the coder who has or wants to fix this bug. Sometimes a bug with a non-too complicated looking symptom can be a nightmare to fix. Most of the time you'll simply get the answer: "When it's so easy to fix, then go along and do it yourself."

#36 Re: Re: My vote for most annoying bug

by jp2

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 8:45 AM

Point taken. Thanks, turi!

#25 Re: My vote for most annoying bug

by bzbarsky

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 12:38 PM

This is a focus bug. There are no easy to fix focus bugs. That is the nature of the beast.

#3 Toolbar features

by robdogg

Monday August 5th, 2002 11:27 PM

I remember talk about being able to add/remove buttons on the toolbar. Is this being targeted for 1.2 or some other milestone?

#5 Re: Toolbar features

by djcovey

Monday August 5th, 2002 11:45 PM

The ability to customise the toolbars would make a great new feature. The last such feature as such was in my opinion tabbed browsing, and thats been around since 0.9.5. I'd love to be able to move toolbar icons around willie nillie.

#10 Re: Re: Toolbar features

by BryanH <BryanZx@excite.com>

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 6:46 AM

I believe for this to happen Mozilla would have to constantly write and rewrite it's XUL files contained within the .jar (zips) that hold them. In theory, if Mozilla could have two sets of chrome descriptions, a master and an active one, and then had write permissions and a working editor it would be possible to change the position of anything you want. Currently you can edit your chrome by hand, I believe it's in the "comm.jar" file of your "chrome" directory. Extract using a zip utility while keeping the structure, make your changes (<http://www.xulplanet.com> has a guide to XUL), then rezip the thing to the same name. Tell me if I've missed anything. -- Bryant

#14 Re: Re: Re: Toolbar features

by jsebrech

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 7:57 AM

"I believe for this to happen Mozilla would have to constantly write and rewrite it's XUL files contained within the .jar (zips) that hold them."

Then how does mozilla manage to do all that moving around in the sidebar, which is entirely written in XUL after all?

#27 Re: Re: Re: Re: Toolbar features

by djcovey

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 7:59 PM

Or for that matter, the personal toolbar. You can just move things ont he personal toobar.

#30 Not XUL, but RDF

by bamm <bamm@gabriana.com>

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 1:12 AM

The Customizable Toolbars will not be written in XUL, but in RDF. It will be done in the same way the sidebar panels are written in RDF and not hardcoded into the XUL.

#16 Toolbar Features

by zevious

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 8:49 AM

<http://www.mozillazine.org/weblogs/asa/cust2.png>

..and to quote Dave Hyatt: "I have been working on customizable toolbars in Mozilla. You can check out a screenshot here. So far it has been pretty simple and straightforward to engineer."

There is no further info regarding this from ASA or Hyatt... but it looks promising :)

#21 YYEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!

by ezh <ezh@menelon.ee>

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 10:39 AM

Subj!

So when there will be a test version of moz with that feature?

I know few people that say if they are able to custimize the toolbars they would switch from IE.

#24 BEAUTIFUL IDEA

by joelind

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 11:51 AM

Especially if they could do something similar with the Status Bar. Maybe combine the two? So you could drag each of those elements either up into the Navigation Toolbar or down into the Status Bar.

#4 Calendar?

by Kovu <Kovu401@netscape.net>

Monday August 5th, 2002 11:41 PM

So when's the calendar app going to be turned on by default? Hopefully soon?

-JR

#6 Re: Calendar?

by djcovey

Monday August 5th, 2002 11:48 PM

That would be nice. The only thing stopping me from using it is because I have to download and install it each time I download a moz nightly, and that is every second day. Also, how about spellchecker. I remember hearing that it was supposed to be checked in "just after 1.0".

#7 1.0.1

by jilles

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 3:24 AM

#8 Re: 1.0.1

by mlefevre

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 3:39 AM

1.0.1 is taking rather a long time, but the overlap is how it's supposed to be. there could well be a 1.0.2 released at the same time as, say, 1.3... in the same way that there are still new 1.2.x versions of the Linux kernel long after 1.4 is released, and that microsoft office XP was released before office 2000 SR2 - lots of software maintains support for older releases for some time...

#26 Re: 1.0.1

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 1:12 PM

"So we are now getting the crazy situation that 1.0.1 is going to be released after 1.1 final? Not that I care since I use 1.1beta."

And what, exactly, is crazy about that situation?

--Asa

#54 latest stable

by sebol

Friday August 9th, 2002 5:08 AM

if 1.0.1 released after 1.1 which one is 'latest stable' ?

#55 latest stable

by zevious

Friday August 9th, 2002 8:45 AM

Forget 1.0.1 even exists. For the average user, that branch is a dead issue. Use 1.1 when it is released. As far as I'm concerned it will be the 'latest stable'. I'm sure many others will as well.

ps. This costant nagging about 1.01 is just annoying. I seriously hope there is a decision to not make mention of 1.101.

#56 Re: latest stable

by michaelH

Saturday August 10th, 2002 2:01 AM

Just because you don't care about 1.0.x doesn't mean others don't either. Some of my friends care about it, because they like having the stable branch, and not having to upgrade so much etc. I can see their point very much.

On the other hand, i'm with you - I do like the 1.x branch. But saying nobody cares about one is very untrue.

#57 Re: Re: latest stable

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Saturday August 10th, 2002 3:12 AM

"Some of my friends care about it, because they like having the stable branch, and not having to upgrade so much etc."

To each his own. I can't why given the choice between two updates, one with fixes for 3 bugs and one with fixes for 10 bugs, anyone would say "I think I'll get the update with the fix for just three bugs". But who am I to judge.

--Asa

#62 Re: Re: Re: latest stable

by bamm <bamm@gabriana.com>

Monday August 12th, 2002 5:41 PM

Asa, it's more like a choice between downloading a build with 10 bugs and 9 regressions and a build with 3 bugs and no regressions.

I myself do not like the 1.x branch because it messes up my skin with a stupid dark border around the Go button that can't be removed even by setting border:none;. These annoyances are not present in the 1.0.x branch.

All the important patches are being checked in to the branch anyway so I'm not missing on anything big except high-risk fixes.

Since I'm customizing Mozilla for the Bayanihan Linux Project <http://bayanihan.asti.dost.gov.ph/> then I prefer to stick to the 1.0.x branch till the trunk gets its act together.

#63 Re: Re: Re: Re: latest stable

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday August 12th, 2002 8:46 PM

Bamm, what do you mean "gets its act together"? Other than the an optional, and off by default, "go" button being displayed with a different border, what's not working on the 1.1 final branch? I go back and forth every day between the branch and the trunk and I miss a lot of great fixes, especially for performance and stability, that _didn't_ and won't make it to the branch. Have you tried 1.1 branch builds? They're considerably more polished and featureful than 1.0 builds without any significant regressions that I can find. Othere than the go button, what are your specific concerns? Are there bugs reported for these? If there are bugs that are blocking folks from using 1.1 in a Linux distro it would be helpful for you to let <drivers@mozilla.org> know.

--Asa

#58 Re: latest stable

by zevious

Saturday August 10th, 2002 10:32 AM

I personally download the latest build of Mozilla, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. The Builds up through when 1.1 was branched were very stable and I can't recall having any problems with them. I have no reason to believe 1.1 final build won't be just as stable. As Asa mentioned, why go with the build with less bug fixes? It's kinda like choosing to use Windows 95 instead of 98, 2000 or XP. Have your friends tried any of the 1.1 builds? I doubt they will be disappointed. On top of that, there are some good bug fixes and added features since the 1.0 release.

#60 Re: Re: latest stable

by michaelH

Saturday August 10th, 2002 9:49 PM

I understand asa's view, and yours. I'm with you both - believe me. I love the new features and everything - always download the milestones, and occasionally compile the sources.

I don't know why some people prefer the 1.0 branch, maybe they're just generally happy with what they have, and feel there's no real breathtaking features that are added until the next major release. Mind you, their ideas of new and cool features differ from mine - I get excited about smaller things like pipelining, download manager and chatzilla enhancements. Whereas they really don't care about them. Plus they don't like to upgrade all the time and try them out.

Mike

#61 Re: Re: Re: latest stable

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Sunday August 11th, 2002 9:43 AM

"and feel there's no real breathtaking features that are added until the next major release."

and Mozilla 1.1 is that "next major release".

--Asa

#46 Re: 1.0.1

by FattMattP

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 9:45 PM

Dude, no one cares about 1.0.1. Get over it.

#11 Context Menus - Open In New Tab at Top!!!!!

by kwanbis

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 7:22 AM

Why it was decided against the great idea of having Open In New Tab on top of the context menu, instead of Open In New Window? Don't we all use Tabbed Brwosing? It should be back as:

Open Link In New Tab Open Link In New Window

PLEASE!!!!!!!

#18 Re: Context Menus - Open In New Tab at Top!!!!!

by Rytsarsky

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 9:55 AM

I use tabbed browsing, but I NEVER use the context menu to open links in new tabs, I just use middle-click.

#32 Re: Re: Context Menus - Open In New Tab at Top!!!!

by jsebrech

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 5:56 AM

Try doing that on your mac.

#33 Re: Re: Context Menus - Open In New Tab at Top

by johnlar <johnlar@tfn.net>

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 6:46 AM

You can buy a three button and scroll mouse for the mac you know. Its not our fault apple hasn't come round to the demand.

#20 Re: Context Menus - Open In New Tab at Top!!!!!

by ezh <ezh@menelon.ee>

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 10:29 AM

Hey, dude, who's "we all"? I don't use tabs...

But I also do not care about the context menu since I open links in new windows with CTRL-Click.

#22 Re: Context Menus - Open In New Tab at Top!!!!!

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 11:44 AM

It was in bug 135250 <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135250> - personally, - prefer the current arrangement but there's good arguments for and against the change. Whatever way it is someone will prefer the other one.

Alex

#28 Window vs Tab: new Pref or based on Curr Prefs

by rickst29 <rickstockton@acer-access.com>

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 9:09 PM

Alex is right, the preferences go both ways. The "bug" was created by strong feelings on the other side of the fence, and the discusssions became animated at times. The _right_ solution (satisfying everybody, I think) would be to add another preference in the tabbed browser section: List "Open in New Tab" as the first item in the menu for right-clicking on a URL. If not checked, default to the current way (Open in new Window as the first item, in new Tab as the Second).

I most closely agree with additional comment #38 (good reasons NOT to make "new Window" the default, even if both open in tab when... tab preferences remain unset). However, if a new preference is too much trouble (and I personally think that it *IS* too much), I also think that MOST people would be satisfied by the solution proposed in additional comment #2 (also seconded in many other comments). I would recommend implementing this suggestion as: Display the "new Tab" item first when EITHER of the two Open-in-New-Tab preferences ("middle-click or cntl-click", or Cntl+Enter) is set. Otherwise (both unset) show show the "new Window" item first.

One thing which we didn't know (back then) was that almost all of the computer and general press reviews of Mozilla would RAVE about tabbed browsing as our BEST useability advantage over IE.

#29 Re: Window vs Tab: new Pref or based on Curr Prefs

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 10:14 PM

"Alex, you were involved in this and I wasn't. 135250 is full of relevant stuff, but also a lot of Checkin/Review/Bug Mgmt stuff. Is a new bug/enhancement appropriate, or should you/I re-open 135250? (I think it deserves a rest, except for a cross-reference.) Please advise here in MZ, or send me an EMail."

A new bug is most appropriate in cases like this. However, one already exists - bug 149297.

<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=149297>

Alex

#53 Re: Re: Window vs Tab: new Pref or based on Curr P

by bamm <bamm@gabriana.com>

Thursday August 8th, 2002 8:04 PM

#38 All reviews mention and rave about Tab Browsing!!!

by kwanbis

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 11:12 AM

doesn't that means that is the most usefull thing in mozilla? or something?

#41 Re: All reviews mention and rave about Tab Browsin

by jsebrech

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 2:44 PM

"doesn't that means that is the most usefull thing in mozilla?"

Apart from the part that displays websites ofcourse ;)

I agree though. I think it's ok to provide a pref that disables tabbed browsing for those that don't like it (and hides the menu options), but for everyone else I'm assuming it should be the preferred option everywhere (including in the file menu).

#59 Re: Context Menus - Open In New Tab at Top!!!!!

by gwalla <gwalla@despammed.com>

Saturday August 10th, 2002 2:36 PM

The developers can't win on this issue. When tabed browsing got popular, there were a lot of calls to put "Open in New Tab" on top. As soon as it was, there were a ton of complaints that it shouldn't be on top, "Open in New Window" should. Now that it's changed back, people are complaining about *that*.

#64 Bug 149297, probably not for 1.1 ;)

by rickst29 <rickstockton@acer-access.com>

Tuesday August 13th, 2002 8:23 PM

As Alex pointed out on Aug 7, there is already a new enhancement "bug" for this (and related) UI preference issues. <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=149297> is the most general of several UI preference bugs. Entirely new code for these issues should probably not be added to the 1.1 branch at this late date. Therefore, let's get back on-topic in this set of MZ comment threads (i.e., items needed to make 1.1 "not suck").

#12 Context Menus - Open In New Tab at Top!!!!!

by kwanbis

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 7:31 AM

Open Link In New Tab Open Link In New Window

PLEASE!!!!!!!

#13 Re: Context Menus - Open In New Tab at Top!!!!!

by joe222

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 7:41 AM

I can't find now the post in another article that explained exactly how to modify that yourself (nothing major, actually). May be someone can unearth it (was about a week or two ago, at most) and submit it to that nice website with tips for mozilla (moztips).

As for why the change, I guess it does make sense, as people who are new to mozilla my find that option strange or even awkward. In my personal experience it's better for a new user to get accommodated first and then shown the nice things. The other way around, makes people, in my experience, feel like they are being forced something down their throat. Once they got that feeling, the nice feature is nice no more... ever. Just my two cents.

#19 Re: Re: Context Menus - Open In New Tab at Top!!!!

by kwanbis

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 10:21 AM

well, Mozilla ain't for end users, :-) ... anyway, if they do a right click, and on the first line they see "Open Link In New Tab", and they don't understand the meaning, they would look at the second one and "oh!" ther they go ... so this, for me, is no needed.

#23 Re:Re: Context Menus - Open In New Tab at Top!!!!!

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 11:46 AM

"I can't find now the post in another article that explained exactly how to modify that yourself (nothing major, actually)."

<http://www.mozillazine.or…icle=2356&message=5#5>

Alex

#15 Possible Bug . . . Where to Report?

by lolajl <lola@his.com>

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 8:15 AM

There seems to be a bug with the textarea form field. If you have a Blogger Pro account, and have this trunk build (I'm using the Mac OS X version), go in and log into your acount. Select your blog account, and under the "Post to [blog title]", yo'll see that the form field is one "row" high, takes up the entire middle form field, and doesn't scroll down from what I can tell. I checked the html of this frame and it's defined as textarea, wrap=virtual, cols=40, rows=10. I have yet to try opening this in Mozilla 1.0 to see if the same problem exists. Where should I report this?

#17 Possible Bug . . . Where to Report?

by lolajl <lola@his.com>

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 9:20 AM

Following up to my own post - this textarea displays normally in Mozilla 1.0, PC version.

#34 Re: Possible Bug . . . Where to Report?

by Salsaman

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 7:28 AM

For bugs in mozilla, go to bugzilla.mozilla.org. You should find all you need there to help you report a new bug.

#35 So where is it?

by johnlar <johnlar@tfn.net>

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 7:31 AM

I see trunk I see 1.0 branch. But, I don't see 1.1 branch anywhere in the nightly builds?

#39 Re: So where is it?

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 11:21 AM

the 1.1 branch builds should start today.

--Asa

#37 Mail Alerts??

by jedbro

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 11:06 AM

Is there any hope for "Mail Alerts" in Mozilla like for Netscape 7?

<http://channels.netscape.…atures/mail.jsp#mailalert>

Cheers <>< JED

#40 Re: Mail Alerts??

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 11:22 AM

What do you mean by "any hope"? Netscape's mail alerts were available in Mozilla long before Netscape 7 PR1 had them.

--Asa

#42 Re: BUGZILLA is unfriendly to non-tech users

by lgladen

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 3:26 PM

Asa- according to the text at that link, "mail alerts" operate "...even if you don't have Netscape 7.0 PR1 open on your desktop." I think he's looking for a system tray program like 4.x used to have that would tell you when you have mail without having the full browser open. As it is, thanks to bug 71105, you must have both a browser and an email window open - or you get no notification at all.

#43 Re: Re: BUGZILLA is unfriendly to non-tech users

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 4:14 PM

That's not completely accurate. You don't have to have mail open. You just have to have had mail open. I for example, open browser and mail on launch and then close mail and the notifications continue.

--Asa

#44 Re: BUGZILLA is unfriendly to non-tech users

by lgladen

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 5:08 PM

Actually, that is apparently true only for IMAP accounts. POP3 accounts must have mail open, or the biff does not fire. I am not the only one to experience this, judging from comments on the bug. It is still the case with the build I am using, WinXP 2002080508...opened browser & mail normally, checked for messages, sent myself a test email, then closed mail. Result: mail alert does not fire, and the mail is not received from the server until the mail application is reopened.

#45 Re: BUGZILLA is unfriendly to non-tech users

by zevious

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 9:01 PM

This broke when the "Mail Alert" was added... I asked at the time why that change was not backed out and was told that just because this was broken doesn't mean the other should be backed out. Oh well, it should be fixed soon. Just open both the browser and mail and it works fine for now :)

#49 Re: Re: The stability of 1.1

by borggraefe

Thursday August 8th, 2002 5:33 AM

But this again just works because of bug 95130 ("Mailnews stays in RAM after being closed"). You currently canīt really close Mail/News after using it. It just isnīt visible anymore.

Stefan

#50 BOOKMARKS: Alphabeticall Sort?

by kwanbis

Thursday August 8th, 2002 8:07 AM

Me again :-) ... is there any plans on supporting alphabeticall sort of the bookmarks? That's the only feature i miss from IE ... ;-) ... anyway, i have no use for IE since about moz 0.9.5 ... but this could erase all memories of it

#66 BOOKMARKS: Alphabeticall Sort?

by GAThrawn

Thursday August 15th, 2002 2:26 AM

Mozilla already has an alphabetical sort option for your bookmarks.

Just open the Bookmark Manager window (Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks).

Then click in your list of bookmarks and selectcteh "View" menu, followed by "A > Z Sort Order" and your bookmarks will be sorted as you asked.

#51 windows XP?

by johnlar <johnlar@tfn.net>

Thursday August 8th, 2002 1:14 PM

Hmm in recent nightly trunk builds mail seem to crash and freeze very frequently on several different Windows XP machines. This does NOT happen on 1.0 branch builds? Anyone else seeing this?

#52 Re: windows XP?

by FrodoB

Thursday August 8th, 2002 2:25 PM

I'm seeing it often enough in the newsreader to be annoyed (although not terribly inconvenienced).

#65 Re: windows XP?

by bsangam

Wednesday August 14th, 2002 8:39 AM

Hello There,

I am having the same problem too. I am using XP SP1.