AOL To Buy Netscape?
Sunday November 22nd, 1998
From Ben Marklein comes this interesting news -- apparently AOL is considering a buyout of Netscape in a stock swap. For the news, check out News.com and Techweb. Sun may be taking over Netscape's business application division.
UPDATE: Another more in-depth article is available at washingtonpost.com.
Here's another article - this one from the New York Times website. To view it, you must be be a registered user (it's free, though, so check it out).
UPDATE: An article at News.com confirms the rumors, but no deal has been reached at this time.
#17 Re:AOL To Buy Netscape?
Monday November 23rd, 1998 7:47 AM
You are replying to this message
Ok, had to put in my 2 cents.
- An enemy of my enemy is my friend.
- When IBM reigned in Lotus, it saved Lotus from certain death, while keeping their hands relatively off the product line.
- AOL bought Compuserve, and is marketing it towards the sophisticated user.
- AOL has lots and lots and lots of money, and lots and lots and lots of eyeballs. They must see something they really like in Netscape.
- There's nothing you can do to stop it ;-)