Full Article Attached Bugzilla Search Interface Changing

Friday August 2nd, 2002

In a newsgroup posting, Myk Melez announced that the default search form on Bugzilla will be changing on Friday 16th August. The new version (which has been available as an alternative for a while now) should be easier to understand and less intimidating to use. Read the full article for more details.

#1 Fieldsets and repaint problems

by fab

Saturday August 3rd, 2002 2:14 AM

Is it just me or does this form use fieldsets which cause repainting problems in all Mozilla versions so far? (bug 121127). Dropdowns don't repaint properly, at least on 1.0 on win32.

#2 Re: Fieldsets and repaint problems

by MXN

Saturday August 3rd, 2002 8:46 AM

I'm using the Mozilla 1.1b SVG build on Windows, and it seems to work fine.

- MXN <http://mxn.netfirms.com/>

#3 BUGZILLA is unfriendly to non-tech users

by robston

Sunday August 4th, 2002 12:40 AM

Having founbd via search engine a report on a forced redirection problem with an earlier version ---but one which I am having with 1.0 (oingo.com & 'idealabs' various sites)---I have tried various ways of reporting this. I have been right through Bugzilla's site...and nowhere is there a simple way of reporting that this irritation continues. Is Moz. interested in end users, at all?

#4 Re: BUGZILLA is unfriendly to non-tech users

by lgladen

Sunday August 4th, 2002 1:59 AM

sounds like either bug 128322 (which has been fixed) or bug 151024. Found both by searching for "history load" on the simple bugzilla keyword search linked on the side of this page. The problem is not necesarily bugzilla, but the decription and keywords given to a bug. This one should have probably include oingo in the description.

#9 Re: Re: BUGZILLA is unfriendly to non-tech users

by robston

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 1:38 AM

Actually, neither bug description fits. In limited space I was complaining about (a) the way 'apps5.oingo.com' randomly intercepts and redirects page requests to load 'idealabs' sites.(Not a pop-up or pop-behind) Bug was originally reported in a previous Moz ver.---which I have experienced in v1.0 (b) the stupifying complexity of Bugzilla which ends with non-tech's like me having to append to some vaguely appropriate thread because there is no simple error reporting mechanism. Nice browser---terrible reporting system!

#10 Re: Re: Re: BUGZILLA is unfriendly to non-tech us

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 4:09 AM

In this case we didn't another report or even another comment in an existing report, months after the bug had been fixed. It's a safe bet that if joe-user can easily spot a flaw that we have a bug reported already. With thousands of people testing builds each night and hundreds of thousands of people testing our milestones every 5 weeks it's not very likely that someone that can't figure out how to use Bugzilla is going to be able to find in Mozilla and report coherently a bug from a Milestone release that we don't already know about.

--Asa

#11 Re: BUGZILLA is unfriendly to non-tech users

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday August 7th, 2002 4:13 AM

"Is Moz. interested in end users, at all?"

nope. not really. it's not so much that we're not interested in them, actually; i find them quite interesting. it's really just that we don't have time for them. our resources are limited and we're not interested in spending those resources on end-users.

--Asa

#12 Re: Re: BUGZILLA is unfriendly to non-tech users

by robston

Thursday August 8th, 2002 12:23 AM

Asa response is that of a Mozilla employee. Should one conclude that you (Mozilla org.)are therefore designing a browser that is not intended for end-users? Oh dear! BTW the bug still exists in ver 1.0. I thought I had managed to communicate that point, but apprently not! (End of thread as far as I'm concerned :) )

#15 Re: Re: Re: BUGZILLA is unfriendly to non-tech us

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Thursday August 8th, 2002 8:27 PM

"Asa response is that of a Mozilla employee."

I am a member of mozilla.org, not a "Mozilla employee".

"Should one conclude that you (Mozilla org.)are therefore designing a browser that is not intended for end-users?"

(lowercase "m" on mozilla.org) Yes and no. mozilla.org is designing a _technology_ which can be easily made into a product for end-users. The mozilla.org binaries were never intended for end-users.

"BTW the bug still exists in ver 1.0. I thought I had managed to communicate that point, but apprently not!"

It was fixed after Mozilla 1.0. I thought I had managed to communicate that, but apparently my comment, "months after the bug had been fixed," wasn't clear. Another report of a bug that's already been fixed is worse than useless, it's damaging. Every minute that engineers and QA spend reading through bug reports for issues that are already fixed is a minute that they're not working on a problem which hasn't been fixed.

--Asa

#5 slightly off topic: bug mail "spam"

by dipa

Sunday August 4th, 2002 5:22 PM

Not exactly related to the new search form (which definitely is easier to use than the old one). I want to complain on a Bugzilla issue that remains unresolved for a very a long time.

When I am cc 'ed on a bug, I receive messages like this one: "that message has been marked as a duplicate of this bug". There is a bug filed on this, because you can't configure your account for preventis this messages. Wasted bandwidth for most of us and for Bugzilla server. I was told that the new version of Bugzilla would solve this problem but that didn't happen.

I have no time to seek for the bug # at the moment, sorry.

#6 Re: slightly off topic: bug mail "spam"

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday August 5th, 2002 1:00 AM

this has been available for months, if not a year or more. just go to your prefs and change your email settings.

--Asa

#7 It's bug 83245

by djk

Monday August 5th, 2002 9:27 AM

Asa, I think you misunderstood the problem. See <<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=83245>>.

If there *is* a way to avoid the 'bug blah has been marked a duplicate of this bug' messages, I'd be more than happy to hear it. Unfortunately, I can't filter messages with OE/HTTPMail.

#8 djk is right :-( (n/t)

by dipa

Tuesday August 6th, 2002 2:25 AM

#14 Re: slightly off topic: bug mail "spam"

by Gerv

Thursday August 8th, 2002 7:13 AM

> because you can't configure your account for preventis this messages.

But if you have a decent mail client which filters on message body, you can just set up a rule to delete these messages. :-)

Gerv

#13 It should be mentioned that mpt did the redesign.

by kiko <kiko@async.com.br>

Thursday August 8th, 2002 6:44 AM

Mozilla's very own UI ninja Matthew Thomas (<http://mpt.phrasewhise.com/>) did the redesign of the search form, and Gervase Markham implemented it. They both are responsible for making the page so much more usable; a thousand thanks to them.