Full Article Attached Independent Status Reports

Monday July 8th, 2002

The latest set of status reports includes updates from Diggler, K-Meleon, Livelizard and Mycroft.

#1 Thanks to all the independent developers

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday July 8th, 2002 10:37 PM

Diggler is very cool. It's also good to see Ricky and the mycroft project so active again. Keep up the good works folks. I use or try out all your cool tools, plugins, bolt-ons and enhancements. Mozdev and the other independent projects around the Net are what makes Mozilla feel fresh and new even after being involved with the core project for years. Thanks.

#2 k-meleon, please make it easier to test betas

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday July 8th, 2002 10:45 PM

I would love to test a beta build (I'm a good tester and I know how to file useful bugs, I promise) but I don't want to sign up to a mailing list when I don't see how that's going to help me get ahold of a beta build. Does signing up generate an automatic email telling me where to get a beta and where to report bugs? hint: If you make it easier for people to test your beta builds (even if they're _really_ beta) people will. And if you make it easy for them to file good bug reports they will. Many of them may even file bugs with patches. Don't leave me hangin', man :-) where's the URL to the beta builds?

--Asa

#3 Re: k-meleon, please make it easier to test betas

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Monday July 8th, 2002 10:50 PM

This message <http://www.geocrawler.com…urceForge/9632/0/9120094/> seems to have all the required details.

Alex

#4 Re: k-meleon, please make it easier to test betas

by amutch

Tuesday July 9th, 2002 5:02 AM

Asa,

We would be glad to have you test the beta. The link that Alex posted does indeed provide the link to the current beta. The reason that we've been less than public with the beta is that we got burned when we posted our last public beta. We had a number of people who acted like the beta was the regular release and innudated us with complaints about features being broken and the release being unfinished. If they had read the release notes or the beta announcement, they would have already known that we were well aware of the problems. So, we've kept a lower profile. But I can see your point and we'll have to work out a happy medium that meets everyone's needs. In the mean time, give our test build a test drive and let us know what you think. As always, bug reports and patches are most appreciated!

#5 Re: Re: k-meleon, please make it easier to test be

by wilsonae <Tony.Wilson@nc3a.nato.int>

Tuesday July 9th, 2002 6:21 AM

How about big, bold, red letters in any announcements and on the download page stating that the software is "Beta and will have bugs"?

#6 Big Red Letters

by amutch

Tuesday July 9th, 2002 6:38 AM

Funny you should mention that. It is just about what we did for the "release notes" that first appear when the browser launches for the first time. It still didn't seem to help. But, I'm sure we'll be able to come up with something.

#8 Re: Big Red Letters

by tbs <mozbugs01.14.tbs@spamgourmet.com>

Tuesday July 9th, 2002 10:21 AM

Maybe add something like: "THIS VERSION _DOES_ HAVE UNSOLVED BUGS!"

I swear not everybody knows what "beta" means. And these people are always to lazy to read the whole announcement.

#9 Text

by amutch

Tuesday July 9th, 2002 10:39 AM

Here's what appears in a big red box in our current beta:

"This is NOT an official K-Meleon release. This is intended for beta testers only. Please submit bug reports and feedback to the developers mailing list"

Even with this, we are still getting users who post to the Forums, which is OK, but not what we asked. Maybe they are just too excited by the newness of it all! :)

#7 Java Sidebar Game

by xerxes

Tuesday July 9th, 2002 9:18 AM

I'm submitting this link for the last time just incase anyone might be interested. It's basically a yahtzee game written in Java for the sidebar. A screen shot can be found here.

<http://www.webdice.org/sidebar.html>

One thing I've noticed is that it will not render the applet unless you force a refresh of the sidebar screen. This is probably a bug on Mozilla's part because the applet renders properly if you just go to the applet in your regular screen. <http://www.webdice.org/mini_wd2k/index.html>