Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 5 Released

Wednesday April 2nd, 2008

Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 5 has been released for testing. The fifth beta of the next major Firefox version offers over 750 bug fixes over Beta 4, including improvements in user interface, location bar autocomplete, bookmark backup and restore, full page zoom and other new features based upon user feedback.

Firefox 3 Beta 5 can be downloaded from the Firefox beta page. The Firefox 3 Beta 5 Release Notes have more details, including information about what's new in Firefox 3 and what's been improved in this specific milestone. The Mozilla Developer News weblog's announcement of Firefox 3 Beta 5 includes links of interest to developers.

#1 Last Beta?

by dmbtech

Wednesday April 2nd, 2008 12:25 PM

Is this the last beta before the RCs are rolled out?

#3 Re: Last Beta?

by Aaron44126

Wednesday April 2nd, 2008 12:59 PM

That seems to be the plan. RC1 freeze is currently planned for April 8.

#2 Try it without affecting your installed Firefox

by CritterNYC

Wednesday April 2nd, 2008 12:51 PM

As always, you can give the latest beta a try without impacting your installed copy of Firefox 2.0 or your local Firefox settings by using Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition:

<http://portableapps.com/a…net/firefox_portable/test>

#6 Re: Try it without affecting your installed Firefo

by pepp5

Thursday April 3rd, 2008 7:00 AM

It looks like I can't. There is no version available for Mac, none that I see on that page anyhow.

#10 Re: Try it without affecting your installed Firefo

by mitrich <mitrich@optonline.net>

Thursday April 3rd, 2008 3:11 PM

Not quite right. I installed the beta, and it updated an extension, Colorful tabs, I think, to a version that would not work in FF2.X. That version somehow got into my 2.x installation and I needed to fix it.

#4 Pane overlap in old Gmail user interface persists

by mhenriday <mhenriday@gmail.com>

Wednesday April 2nd, 2008 2:40 PM

Alas, the annoying overlap between the Quick Contacts list pane and the main pane (Inbox, Sent Mail, etc,) in the old Gmail user interface persists in Firefox 3 b 5. It should perhaps be pointed out that this bug affects no small number of users, as all Gmail users who do not have their respective «Gmail display language» set to «English(US)» - and we are not few - see it. Moreover, given the buggy nature of the new interface, which is still experiencing considerable problems despite being released some four months ago (check the Gmail users fora !), it seems likely that the roll-out of the new interface to all users will be delayed for quite some time to come. It would be wonderful if this bug could be crunched before FF 3 is released to the general public !...

Henri

#5 Google Pack Page crashed beta

by deaniac83

Thursday April 3rd, 2008 1:36 AM

I have been noticing this since Beta 4. The Google pack homepage (<http://pack.google.com>) seems to crash the beta. That hasn't changed in Beta 5.

#12 Re: Google Pack Page crashed beta

by tsahi

Friday April 4th, 2008 4:02 AM

works for me. what language are you using?

#98 Re: Google Pack Page crashed beta

by iamdday

Tuesday May 27th, 2008 1:06 PM

I can confirm that when trying to navigate to <http://pack.google.com>, Firefox crashes. I am currently running RC1, so apparently it has been fixed for a long time.

#7 "Incompatible Add-ons" screen

by neilparks1

Thursday April 3rd, 2008 10:31 AM

When beta 5 is intalled and launched, the "Incompatible Add-ons" list cannot be scrolled all the way to the bottom.

#8 Home Button

by farcus

Thursday April 3rd, 2008 12:33 PM

When adding the home button to the main toolbar in XP the icon looks a little smaller than the reload and stop icons.

#13 Re: Home Button

by supernova_00

Friday April 4th, 2008 4:39 AM

That is this bug <https://bugzilla.mozilla.…rg/show_bug.cgi?id=424383> , it is actually the exact same size...read through the bug for more information.

#9 "show my windows and tabs from last time" bug

by robertmarley

Thursday April 3rd, 2008 1:06 PM

Way to bad, that the "show my windows and tabs from last time" not working bug: <https://bugzilla.mozilla.…rg/show_bug.cgi?id=424658> hasn't been fixed yet. My fear is that it won't get changed in the next release either (which is the final FF3), and because of that a lot of users will stick to FF2 (which don't contains this bug). Please fix this!

#11 Firefox Go Button Missing

by jabcreations

Thursday April 3rd, 2008 9:33 PM

My Go button is still missing! Apparently is was removed because it's clutter but now I can bookmark every frigin page I visit? I probably use the Go button a hundred times a day to reload without resubmitting data for a double post and bookmark a page once every hundred days... <https://bugzilla.mozilla.…rg/show_bug.cgi?id=405461>

Here is a design tip: I'm not using Vista just because I have to click TWICE to cut/copy/paste in Windows Explorer where as I only have to click once in XP. Some one please fix this bug, we should be protecting Firefox from GUI mutilation!

#14 Re: Firefox Go Button Missing

by supernova_00

Friday April 4th, 2008 4:41 AM

The go button is not missing, it only shows when it is needed, eg., when you type in or paste an address. The go button is not a refresh button...it completely download the whole page again when that is not needed. A simple refresh is all that is needed.

#65 Re: Firefox Go Button Missing

by supernova_00

Monday April 14th, 2008 4:57 AM

I actually created an extension to always show the Go button since there seems to be a demand for it. <https://addons.mozilla.or…/en-US/firefox/addon/6933>

Its in the sandbox so you'll need to login to get it.

#15 Bug 420108

by xerxes

Friday April 4th, 2008 8:11 AM

Still experiencing bug <https://bugzilla.mozilla.…rg/show_bug.cgi?id=420108>. Screenshots available on page .

<http://www.webdice.org/ff3bug/>

#16 One update bug

by stylo

Friday April 4th, 2008 7:20 PM

>>"Incompatible Add-ons"

The pre-check lies. It said only one add-on wouldn't work so I went ahead. As soon as installed it said 5 won't work. :-(

Downloads search is in the wrong place, must be at the top like all other windows.

Glad to see name change to "Organize Bookmarks". Since I suggested it in the forums, I'll take credit :-)

#17 Re: One update bug

by stylo

Friday April 4th, 2008 9:50 PM

And actually, the one it said was incompatible, IE Tab, still works fine. Something messed up there.

#37 jonronson = :S

by robertmarley

Saturday April 5th, 2008 3:45 PM

#18-#36... = #24 spam messages :S I don't get what the hell he is saying :S, but at least in #35 he mentions the word 'Mozilla'... This is truly some weird shit... Why mozillazine? Its not a super big site, i think? Is this the first time this has happened to MZ? Very annoying! though that a hole bunch of feedback has been produced... turns out half of it is spam :(

#38 Re: jonronson = :S

by krashtd

Saturday April 5th, 2008 8:18 PM

Unfortunately, no, this is NOT the first time this has happened at MZ. The same poster has spammed most of the recent news posts...just look for any post in the last three months that has more than 10 posts...you'll see 'jonronson' has left his atrociously annoying messages all over, over and OVER... and no one bothers to can him?

Hope he isn't doing this in the forums also...

#39 Banning spammers

by Philo

Sunday April 6th, 2008 4:08 AM

I agree. They should block any postings by this inconsiderate, selfish twit.

#62 Re: Re: jonronson = :S

by ekmon1582

Friday April 11th, 2008 8:45 PM

(Right now) It isn't being done to this extent, but with all the spam that comes in on the forums who knows who's doing it.

#47 Re: jonronson = :S

by mcgeheezone

Sunday April 6th, 2008 5:49 PM

Isn't there a way to report ... people ... like this?

#49 Makes small mistakes

by ekmon1582

Monday April 7th, 2008 3:37 PM

I've noticed when I copy and paste a link, it'll sometimes switch the link I copied to some random link.

#61 Site Icons

by jorgenson

Tuesday April 8th, 2008 12:53 PM

Just looked at Beta 5 - seems to work fine. One exception - I real the New York Times - I have the "browser.chrome.site_icons" switch turned to "false" in the "about:config" screen - for some reason in Beta 5 I can not turn this off on the Firefox screen - it is "false" in the "aboout:config" screen but not in the browswe Strange

#63 What happened in Beta 5?

by RAlfieri

Sunday April 13th, 2008 8:42 PM

Wow! I was so excited about Firefox, then I downloaded Beta 5 and things really went sideways. It hangs up on me constantly, even just first loading. Sometimes menus appear, sometimes not. Often it hangs. What happened to it since Beta 4????

Cheers, Rob

#64 Re: What happened in Beta 5?

by RAlfieri

Sunday April 13th, 2008 8:43 PM

Forgot to mention I'm running on a PowerMac G5 with Leopard. :)

#66 Firefox Beta 5 - Navigation Button Weirdness!

by ironsoup

Thursday April 17th, 2008 12:08 PM

#67 Will be fixed in RC1

by supernova_00

Thursday April 17th, 2008 1:43 PM

This bug is fixed and will be fixed in RC1. <https://bugzilla.mozilla.…rg/show_bug.cgi?id=425079>

#68 Firefox 3 beta 5 - Crashes every hour

by justinz

Friday April 18th, 2008 12:44 PM

Mozilla has me frustrated this year. With more than a few windows open, Firefox 2.x (win32) creeps up to over a gigabyte of memory usage, and this beta FF3b5 crashes on me constantly. In FF3b5 I limit my addons to the latest Firebug just released for 3b5, and run a fresh profile. I'm [trying to be] a web developer, so I'd like a stable browser that can open 50+ tabs over several widows, and remain open for days without crashing and/or running up memory, as early versions of FF2 would. (When working on pages, I concurrently run FF2, FF3, IE6, IE7, Safari, and Opera.)

I've tried very hard to switch to Opera, but often a flash object won't play -- it's just hard to switch completely since I had become very familiar and dependent on FF plugins. But at least I can leave Opera running indefinitely.

Moz developers will tell you that the Firefox memory usage problem is not a leak, but it is -- whether it's due to bad garbage collection, or a design decision to cache limitless pages. (Is this intended for the occasional light user with one or two pages open, who decides to compare its speed to Opera?)

It seems to me that Firefox has been unstable lately for my usage needs/habits. I hope this beta sees some fixes before a final release. I would also like to see new settings for trading speed/features for stability, such as options for disabling caching (but I know nothing of the hardship of implementing such things), and certainly the ability to run multiple version on the same profile, or share a bookmark file between them would be hugely useful to.

#69 Firefox 3 beta 5 - Crashes every hour

by justinz

Friday April 18th, 2008 2:18 PM

Mozilla has me frustrated this year. With more than a few windows open, Firefox 2.x (win32) creeps up to over a gigabyte of memory usage, and this beta FF3b5 crashes on me constantly. In FF3b5 I limit my addons to the latest Firebug just released for 3b5, and run a fresh profile. I'm [trying to be] a web developer, so I'd like a stable browser that can open 50 tabs over several widows, and remain open for days without crashing and/or running up memory, as early versions of FF2 would. (When working on pages, I concurrently run FF2, FF3, IE6, IE7, Safari, and Opera.)

#70 Firefox 3 beta 5 - Crashes every hour

by justinz

Saturday April 19th, 2008 1:14 PM

#71 Firefox 3 beta 5 - Crashes every hour

by justinz

Sunday April 20th, 2008 7:58 AM

#72 Firefox 3 beta 5 - Crashes every hour

by justinz

Tuesday April 22nd, 2008 5:00 AM

#75 Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 - Crashes every hour

by ronin65

Friday April 25th, 2008 11:55 AM

Many Firefox add-ons can be made to work with Flock, but it appears to have some very major problems with Java (script) at this time.

And, yea, Firefox needs to be restarted periodically to deal with the memory monster hiding within.

#73 Firefox 3 beta 5 - Crashes every hour

by justinz

Thursday April 24th, 2008 7:09 AM

#74 Firefox 3 beta 5 - Crashes every hour

by justinz

Thursday April 24th, 2008 7:33 AM

#78 Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 - Crashes every hour

by zorinlynx

Saturday May 3rd, 2008 8:37 AM

Seriously, you don't have to post this four times, dude.

#95 Re: Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 - Crashes every hour

by ekmon1582

Monday May 5th, 2008 1:09 PM

Seconded.

#96 Re: Re: Firefox 3 beta 5 - Crashes every hour

by ekmon1582

Monday May 5th, 2008 1:36 PM

Also... make that seven.

#76 On Fire

by joboggi

Tuesday April 29th, 2008 4:40 PM

Wow

I don't know what you guys are running, but my 3 Beta 5 is screaming fast. IE tab, no block, ad block, and firefox forecast ( or whatever it is called ) works, and everything is SCREAMING fast.

GREAT Upgrade.

#77 On Fire

by joboggi

Tuesday April 29th, 2008 4:55 PM

Wow

GREAT Upgrade.

#93 not this crap again....

by krashtd

Sunday May 4th, 2008 10:52 AM

can we get a "Report this post as Spam/Abuse" link on this thing??

#94 Re: not this crap again....

by ekmon1582

Monday May 5th, 2008 12:48 PM

It is being reported in the forums when it happens.

#97 Is newer better - the ondrag event is goofy

by lanrod <twinselite@aol.com>

Tuesday May 6th, 2008 4:14 PM

I have a bone to pick with firefox. The custom scrolling in the site I am making for a band gets really goofed up in firefox 3 beta. I guess I will have to build in a work-around, but Safari (which already supports the ondrag event) functions perfectly with my custom scrolling. Here's the site so you can see for yourself. <http://www.againstyourheart.com/beta/>

#127 http://www.herkessohbette.com sesli chat sesli soh

by admiraal

Saturday July 18th, 2009 2:23 PM

<http://www.herkessohbette.com> sesli chat sesli sohbet seslichat seslisohbet