Full Article Attached Independent Status Reports

Thursday June 13th, 2002

This week's status reports include updates from K-Meleon, mozdev, Mycroft, Enigmail, Livelizard, Optimoz, Hermes, MultiZilla and Mycroft. Click the Full Article link to check them out.

#1 Multizilla

by MXN

Thursday June 13th, 2002 7:09 PM

I'm starting to get the feeling that the Multizilla project is trying to accomplish too much. UA spoofing and a Google bar in Multizilla? Aren't there the UABar and Google Bar projects at Mozdev that are already working on this? I guess it's not such a bad thing, if the implementations are good. (shrug)

- MXN

#2 MultiZilla is missing on the Add-on list

by bugs4hj <bugs4hj@netscape.net>

Friday June 14th, 2002 2:58 AM

I don't think you've got the whole picture here.

First of all, I wrote pref panels, a long time ago, for bug 46029. That was long before anybody else wrote a single line for UA spoofing. I might even write some debug pref panels for mozilla.

Now about the GoogleBar project. This project isn't even on the project listing. So, how should I, or anybody else for that mather, know about other people working on the same sort of thing? I wasn't even aware of that project before mozilla 1.0 introduced it on the startpage. I officially asked Google, over a year ago now, if they where working on a mozilla/netscape implementation, and that was a no no.

Also note that I don't steal code but write my own, and that's very important to me! I helped other project owners before so why should I stop doing that? I finished a patch for mousegestures last week, now do you think we're going to add that too, because that's a no go for me.

I guess you use the tabbed UI in mozilla, like a zillion of other people. Do you really think you had that now, without the Multiviews project launch two years ago (we had to change the name because of a trademark).

A simple fact is that I don't like to have several toolbars taking screen real estate. And they can't even be used in fullscreen modus! The MultiZilla toolbar however does work in FullScreen modus so you can use these features without switching screenmodus.

#7 Re: MultiZilla is missing on the Add-on list

by MXN

Friday June 14th, 2002 5:56 AM

"So, how should I, or anybody else for that mather, know about other people working on the same sort of thing?"

You're right. I only knew about it, b/c it was regularly on the Last Updated section of the Mozdev front page for a while. I was surprized to learn that it wasn't on the project pages, though.

"Also note that I don't steal code but write my own, and that's very important to me!"

I wasn't implying that you were. I was thinking that, if you wanted to make a wide range of addons for Mozilla, you could start multiple projects, each covering one main feature. But now when I think about that, that would be pretty hard to maintain, wouldn't it? And I guess it's not bad when the implementations are good.

"I guess you use the tabbed UI in mozilla, like a zillion of other people."

Yes, I'm using it right now.

"Do you really think you had that now, without the Multiviews project launch two years ago (we had to change the name because of a trademark)."

No, I realize your project was the reason for tabbed browsings. I've been following your project since you renamed it to Multizilla.

I'm sorry if I've offended you w/ my post, though.

- MXN

#26 Re: MultiZilla is missing on the Add-on list

by benb <mozilla@bucksch.org>

Sunday June 16th, 2002 12:21 AM

> for bug 46029. That was long before anybody else > wrote a single line for UA spoofing.

You mean UI for UA spoofing, right? ;-)

#33 You mean UI for UA spoofing, right? ;-)

by bugs4hj <bugs4hj@netscape.net>

Sunday June 16th, 2002 11:30 PM

Confirmed Ben, and that should read "...long before anybody else wrote a single line for the userAgent UI..." because I _only_ made is visible to end-users. Didn't you wrote the backend for it?

#31 Re: MultiZilla is missing on the Add-on list

by AndyB

Sunday June 16th, 2002 11:44 AM

No, we (Googlebar) are not on the project listing, unfortunately. We should be listed but it's one of the bottlenecks in announcing that we have to resolve sometime. It's a matter of getting the message sent to the appropriate place, though it is somewhat gratifying to see how much traffic we get even just by word of mouth- we are not affiliated with Google, anyway. If you're interested, try the experimental XPI of what we're currently working on and we can talk about sharing some of the code with you to integrate that. We support a lot of specialty searches, so it might be something worthwhile, and if you have any ideas for bug fixes, it would be a fair trade.

-AndyB Googlebar

#4 Just try to find the project/e-mail or owner of it

by bugs4hj <bugs4hj@netscape.net>

Friday June 14th, 2002 3:09 AM

Look at these pages:

<http://www.mozdev.org/contact.html>

<http://www.mozdev.org/projects.html>

and tell me, do you see any of these items listed on these official pages? Where do you see the project owner or his e-mail address?

#5 Re: Just try to find the project/e-mail or owner o

by MXN

Friday June 14th, 2002 5:40 AM

Well, according to <http://www.mozdev.org/contact.html>, David Illsley is the owner and <illsleydc@bigfoot.com> is his e-mail address. It's true though, I couldn't find anything about Googlebar's owner anywhere at Mozdev.

- MXN

#6 Re: Re: Just try to find the project/e-mail or own

by MXN

Friday June 14th, 2002 5:41 AM

Whoops. That link should be to <http://www.mozdev.org/contact.html>

- MXN

#3 Off topic : new mozilla article

by Salsaman

Friday June 14th, 2002 3:08 AM

Yahoo's business section has an AP story about mozilla:

<http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/0…rowser_war_revival_1.html>

#8 Re: Off topic : new mozilla article

by MXN

Friday June 14th, 2002 6:02 AM

The article talks about the AOL 7 Preview Release, but my friend says he has a beta copy of AOL 8 and that it uses M$I for its rendering engine. I'm confused. (BTW, he gave me a big screenshot, and its UI looks disgusting - much like that version of CompuServe that used Gecko.)

- MXN

#22 AOL drops Gecko for IE in Beta 8

by skeeter

Saturday June 15th, 2002 12:08 PM

Hi All

Just read this over at betanews.com/ <http://www.betanews.com/>

"UPDATED America Online this week released a beta version of its upcoming AOL 8.0 client, code-named "Spacely." Version 8.0 sports slight enhancements over its predecessor, but lacks the company's Gecko browser engine that was expected to be included in lieu of Internet Explorer. The update instead puts an emphasis on broadband support as more users make the switch from dial-up Internet connectivity."

They are usaully a very reliable source.

#9 Side Bar Game

by xerxes

Friday June 14th, 2002 8:52 AM

I recently re-wrote this online java game to fit inside the sidebar. A screen shot and a link can be found here.

<http://webdice.org/sidebar.html>

#10 K-Meleon 0.7 near completion

by Synopsis

Friday June 14th, 2002 1:30 PM

I definitely like KM because its so fast and doesnt have all that bloat stuff like Mail/News, Chatzilla, etc. which I don't use anyway. Anyone interested should take a look at the two mentioned bugs 113007 and 134523 to see if he can help or at least vote for it.

#11 Hey Developers. Wake up and fix streaming video

by ndebord

Friday June 14th, 2002 2:26 PM

My third (and last) post here. No real answer to what I consider to be a major flaw in Mozilla. To reiterate one more time. Streaming video, ie, Real Player and Media Player DO NOT WOrk. It's a joke (right?) that the help file takes you a a netscape web site whose instructions are not OPTIMIZED for Mozilla.

Excellent program. Poor documentation and support for addons and plug-ins.

#12 Re: Hey Developers. Wake up and fix streaming vide

by jonik

Friday June 14th, 2002 3:19 PM

WTF are you talking about?

Real player, Windows media player, etc. are relatively easy to get working.

<http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/>

#15 Works for me also

by skeeter

Saturday June 15th, 2002 1:29 AM

Just repeating those above,

QuickTime 5.0.1

Windows Media 7X

RealPlayer G2 Plus

Flash and Shockwave

Adobe Acrobat 5

Ah, that is enough just wanted to add to the support.

#19 And me (nt)

by Benman

Saturday June 15th, 2002 5:40 AM

nt

#13 Works here...

by arsa

Friday June 14th, 2002 5:09 PM

Actualy, I think I have every plugin required to browse most of the sites. Flash, full Shockwave, Quicktime, Real player, Windows Media (which somehow only magicaly started working by itself a couple of weeks ago, I had dll installed in plugins all time, but it didnt work, not sure if it was fixed or some reconfiguration on my part), Java, iPix, Acrobat Reader.

Now, of course you need to install them manualy. Commertial software, if it supports mozilla, supports only Netscape 6. Best solution is to actualy have netscape 4 and copy all plugins that install themselves in plugins folder in netscape to mozilla plugins.

There's also helpfull project that aims at helping you specificaly: <http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/>

#14 Re: Hey Developers. Wake up and fix streaming vide

by GAThrawn

Friday June 14th, 2002 6:18 PM

You're joking right? Streaming media plugins have been working fine for ages.

As far as streaming media goes I've currently got Quicktime 5, Realplayer and Media Player 6.4 plugins installed and working succesfully. The only slight problem is when sites embed javascript based controls into a web page instead of using Media Player's built in controls, but it's all propietary MS-only javascript so you wouldn't expect it to work in any other browser anyway.

I'm sitting here typing this whilst listening to Radio 1's Real audio stream so it's definitely still working.

#16 Re: Hey Developers. Wake up and fix streaming vide

by Diago

Saturday June 15th, 2002 1:38 AM

Could someone please try one of the realvideo streams on <<http://www.nu.nl>> and confirm mozilla crashing when opening the video window? e.g. <<http://co.ilse.nl/?id=NU.…Dnu%26video%5Fid%3D127049>> All realvideo streams there let mozilla crash on my system. I've always sent talkback data back but bugzilla still returns zarro bugs found on "realvideo". This is really the last thing that forces me back to using M$I {-(

Configuration: - RealOne player basic with nppl3260.dll file copied to the plugins folder. - Windows XP pro - mozilla up to build: 2002061408

#17 Re: Hey Developers. Wake up and fix streaming vide

by Diago

Saturday June 15th, 2002 1:41 AM

#20 They WFM (nt)

by Benman

Saturday June 15th, 2002 5:44 AM

nt

#18 of course

by niner

Saturday June 15th, 2002 3:45 AM

Noone will file any bugs for you, you have to do it yourself. How should anyone other than you know what problems you have?

Just go to <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org> and go through the "When reporting a bug" process. If you need any help, just ask in the forums or even better on IRC: irc.mozilla.org #mozillazine It's relatively easy and won't take you much time, but can help you get your bugs out of the way :)

#21 The problem is the nullplugin

by johann_p

Saturday June 15th, 2002 6:37 AM

I think the problem is the nullplugin (i.e. the program that is supposed to guide you to the correct plugin when you dont have installed it). At least on my linux install, i get routed to Netscape's plugin page which pathetically sucks. <<http://www0.mozdev.org/plugindoc/>> is much better and would of course also be much more apropriate for mozilla.

#23 Solution for streaming video and other plugins

by rgelb <nospam@nospam.com>

Saturday June 15th, 2002 12:37 PM

ndebord does have a point - it is a royal pain to go round up various plugins and copy them into the mozilla's plugin folder. So perhaps a solution is to write a program that does just that - rounds up all the plugins and copies them into the proper spot. In fact, I'd be willing to write such a program (for Win32 at least), if someone could point me to documentation about plugins (such as how to get the name of the plugin, mime, etc...), since I could not find it on the devcenter.

#24 Re: Solution for streaming video and other plugins

by jonik

Saturday June 15th, 2002 3:17 PM

In the meanwhile, this tip makes upgrading easier (on Windows): <http://gemal.dk/mozilla/plugins.html>

#30 Re: Solution for streaming video and other plugins

by ndebord

Sunday June 16th, 2002 10:01 AM

Yes. A common install program would be nice. BTW, I'm not alone in failing to get either RealPlayer or Media Player to work. The AOL/Compuserve Netscape Forum (which has a section devoted to Mozilla) has similar problems with streaming video.

The idea that it is not a problem when Real Player runs standalone and not embedded begs the point. Everybody I know of goes to sites like <http://news.yahoo.com> to get news and just try and click on one of the streaming video broadcasts they have there.

PLUS, the idea of having to go to a netscape web site to get plugins that are not optimized for Mozilla is ridiculous.

#36 Re: Re: Solution for streaming video and other plu

by skeeter

Monday June 17th, 2002 9:42 AM

Hi

This is a problem of the script that yahoo hasn't updated, yet. Their radio.yahoo.com <http://radio.yahoo.com/> has been updated and it works fine now with an embedded RealPlayer.

Another example of working scripts is at Nasa. They have updated theirs and this page works fine for me. WMP is embedded here: <http://spaceflight.nasa.g…data/nasatv/lowspeed.html> I just got the report that the Endevor landing was scrubbed today. It is running fine in another tab.

Most problems that people have is that that script at the websites are not using standard scripts or still using <layers> ect.

#37 1.1 already does this automatically

by joschi

Monday June 17th, 2002 10:31 AM

it appears that the 1.1 and later build already look in other common install folder for plugins automatically... grab a nightly and look at Help -> About Plugins ... it shows which folder each plugin is actually in

#25 how to add new icon

by arielb

Saturday June 15th, 2002 11:02 PM

I would like to know how to put a "new" icon on the toolbar to easily open a new window. I don't use too many toolbar icons but I use this one all the time in Opera

#29 Re: how to add new icon

by pirat

Sunday June 16th, 2002 6:43 AM

Either hack XUL for navigator.xul by yourself or try to convince aomebody from developers of need for this button ^_-

#34 Re: how to add new icon

by TimHunt <T.J.Hunt@open.ac.uk>

Monday June 17th, 2002 2:39 AM

CTRL+N is quite convinient for opening new windows. I know, it is not actually a button.

Tim.

#38 Re: how to add new icon

by theuiguy

Monday June 17th, 2002 3:16 PM

You could do this fairly easily with a bookmarklet on the personal toolbar. Unfortunately, bug 108394 <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=108394> blocks it from working effectively: the new window will show up behind the current window.

If you still want to try it, here's the URL you'd need in the bookmark:

javascript:window.open(); void 0

#39 Re: Re: how to add new icon

by arielb

Tuesday June 18th, 2002 10:30 PM

oh that's even better: open new window in background!

#27 Plugins installation improvements

by ipottinger

Sunday June 16th, 2002 4:37 AM

I did a completely fresh reinstall of mozilla of the trunk a couple days ago. I was surprised to find that even though the plugin folder was empty, about:plugins still listed the following plugins: (note the paths!)

File name: C:Program FilesJavaj2re1.4.0binNPJava11.dll File name: C:Program FilesJavaj2re1.4.0binNPJava12.dll File name: C:Program FilesJavaj2re1.4.0binNPJava13.dll File name: C:Program FilesJavaj2re1.4.0binNPJava32.dll File name: C:Program FilesJavaj2re1.4.0binNPJPI140_01.dll File name: C:Program FilesJavaj2re1.4.0binNPOJI610.dll File name: C:Program FilesAdobeAcrobat 5.0Readerbrowsernppdf32.dll File name: C:Program FilesQuickTimePluginsnpqtplugin5.dll File name: C:Program FilesQuickTimePluginsnpqtplugin4.dll File name: C:Program FilesQuickTimePluginsnpqtplugin3.dll File name: C:Program FilesQuickTimePluginsnpqtplugin2.dll File name: C:Program FilesQuickTimePluginsnpqtplugin.dll File name: C:Program FilesWindows Media PlayerNPDRMV2.DLL File name: C:Program FilesWindows Media PlayerNPDSPLAY.DLL File name: C:Program FilesWindows Media PlayerNPWMSDRM.DLL

This is fantastic!! I'd like to see mozilla find even more of the plugins. It did not locate the dll's for RealOne player or for Shockwave, which were both installed on my system, but this is a great start.

(I don't know if this behaviour is controlled in whole or in part by the line >> user_pref("plugin.do_JRE_Plugin_Scan", true); << added to my user.js file long ago.)

#28 Formating improvements?

by ipottinger

Sunday June 16th, 2002 4:48 AM

File name: C:|Program Files|Java|j2re1.4.0|bin|NPJava11.dll :: File name: C:|Program Files|Java|j2re1.4.0|bin|NPJava12.dll :: File name: C:|Program Files|Java|j2re1.4.0|bin|NPJava13.dll :: File name: C:|Program Files|Java|j2re1.4.0|bin|NPJava32.dll :: File name: C:|Program Files|Java|j2re1.4.0|bin|NPJPI140_01.dll :: File name: C:|Program Files|Java|j2re1.4.0|bin|NPOJI610.dll :: File name: C:|Program Files|Adobe|Acrobat 5.0|Reader|browser|nppdf32.dll :: File name: C:|Program Files|QuickTime|Plugins|npqtplugin5.dll :: File name: C:|Program Files|QuickTime|Plugins|npqtplugin4.dll :: File name: C:|Program Files|QuickTime|Plugins|npqtplugin3.dll :: File name: C:|Program Files|QuickTime|Plugins|npqtplugin2.dll :: File name: C:|Program Files|QuickTime|Plugins|npqtplugin.dll :: File name: C:|Program Files|Windows Media Player|NPDRMV2.DLL :: File name: C:|Program Files|Windows Media Player|NPDSPLAY.DLL :: File name: C:|Program Files|Windows Media Player|NPWMSDRM.DLL

#32 Re: Plugins installation improvements

by amutch

Sunday June 16th, 2002 11:45 AM

This is a recent check-in with the details in winprefs.js.

<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=133282>

#35 Offtopic: Mozilla gaining popularity

by Salsaman

Monday June 17th, 2002 3:19 AM

Check this out: <http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html>

Mozilla was the number 5 gaining query on google last week !