Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 4 Released

Monday March 10th, 2008

Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 4 has been released for testing. The fourth beta of the next major Firefox version offers over 900 bug fixes over Beta 3, including improvements in download manager, full page zoom, better integration with Vista, Mac OS X and Linux, and significant improvements in speed and memory usage.

Firefox 3 Beta 4 can be downloaded from the Firefox beta page. The Firefox 3 Beta 4 Release Notes have more details, including information about what's new in Firefox 3 and what's been improved in this specific milestone. The Mozilla Developer News weblog's announcement of Firefox 3 Beta 4 includes links of interest to developers.

A fifth beta milestone has been added to Firefox 3 Schedule based on the number of blockers remaining. Code Freeze for beta 5 will be on Tuesday, March 18th, 2008.

#1 Try it without installing

by CritterNYC

Monday March 10th, 2008 9:26 PM

You can give it a try without installing by using Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition 3 Beta 4: <http://portableapps.com/a…net/firefox_portable/test>

#46 Home button removed from main toolbar

by bamm <bamm@gabriana.com>

Monday March 31st, 2008 5:21 AM

Why has the Home button been moved from the Main Toolbar to the Personal Toolbar?

#2 sigh

by tomchiverton

Tuesday March 11th, 2008 2:22 AM

So after beta 3 failing to work because they bumped the Pango version up for no reason, beta 4 now fails because it wants GTK+ 2.10 or better. Is that a real requirement, or another mistake like Pango last time ?

#33 Re: sigh

by bzbarsky

Friday March 21st, 2008 10:17 PM

It's a real requirement if you want printing to work...

#3 Is there an autoupdate component?

by FordP

Tuesday March 11th, 2008 5:33 AM

Wouldn't it be cool to test the auto update improvements on us beta users? Are there plans to release beta updates via the "software update" to save on bandwidth and to test functionality. Other than that keep up the good work guys. FF3 is going to be awesome.

#4 Re: Is there an autoupdate component?

by tomchiverton

Tuesday March 11th, 2008 6:25 AM

My beta 2 (which does work) offers to download beta 4 just fine (if I hadn't now turned that off) when I asked it too.

#5 Re: Re: Is there an autoupdate component?

by FordP

Tuesday March 11th, 2008 6:42 AM

My FF4b3 didn't update at home but it is working at work. Thanks for the useful info. Keep up the good work MozDev!

Cheers!

#6 URL bar abomination

by neilparks1

Tuesday March 11th, 2008 7:12 AM

I really DO NOT want page titles to show up in big bold letters in the address bar autocomplete.

I tried the "oldbar" extension but that extension is not yet compatible with beta 4.

This should definitely NOT require an extension. It should be a configurable option. It is a major privacy issue.

#15 Re: URL bar abomination

by neilparks1

Wednesday March 12th, 2008 9:57 AM

I downloaded the oldbar extension XPI file and edited the max version. It works fine.

But I still fell strongly that this feature should not depend on an extension.

#42 Re: Re: URL bar abomination

by ThunderB

Friday March 28th, 2008 2:01 AM

It's an abomination indeed! Could you perhaps explain how to edit the XPI to fix this? I wholeheartedly second your idea that it should be an option instead of a standard setting.

#7 Still ugly

by sremick

Tuesday March 11th, 2008 7:16 AM

Still has the god-awful eyeball-burning new theme. When is that going to be fixed? While I enjoy the performance of the nightlies, they are like sandpaper on my eyes.

People complain about it left and right. It's a common topic in the comments every time FF3 is submitted to Digg. I don't look forward to having to install a 3rd-party theme every time I do a FF3 install just to avoid user backlash.

#8 Re: Still ugly

by neilparks1

Tuesday March 11th, 2008 11:30 AM

The FF2 theme looks much better. Why was that not retained?

#9 Re: Re: Still ugly

by sremick

Tuesday March 11th, 2008 12:32 PM

Change for the sake of change. They want to look more like Vista/IE7, since that's what people are getting on their computers. Instead of leveraging the investment already made in establishing a UI interface that has worked for 10+ years.

Not to mention the graphics just plain suck. They're not consistent even within themselves and look mismatched, out of place, and low-res. Lacking any of the polish existing in the FF2 theme.

#10 Re: Re: Re: Still ugly

by jasidog

Tuesday March 11th, 2008 8:22 PM

Yes it's a huge issue, not for me who will just use another theme but for Firefox. It looks awful in XP.

I must admit I've only vaugely been keeping in touch with development. So I'm hoping that someone will post and tell me I'm increadibly ignorant for not knowng these are just placeholder icons and GUI in general.

I should say in all fairness other than GUI it seems great and on Linux the GUI of beta3 was good and going in the right direction. So I'm hoping when i install beta4 on linux it will be even better.

#38 Re: Re: Re: Re: Still ugly

by ogman

Sunday March 23rd, 2008 3:39 PM

Yup, first thing that struck me...this is FUGLY!

#36 Re: Still ugly - even on Vista

by ych

Sunday March 23rd, 2008 6:18 AM

b4 looks a bit better than b3 but I agree, it still looks ugly even in Vista.

In addition, I find confusing that the pages on the back of my history are located on the right of the forward arrow.

Am i the only one who finds new RSS icons a bad idea?

#11 DOM Inspector seems to be disabled with FF 3 B4

by jagannv

Tuesday March 11th, 2008 10:34 PM

After updating to FF 3 Beta 4, DOM Inspector (ver 1.9b3) addon is disabled stating that it is incompatible with 3.0b4 . Is mine an isolated case or is anyone else facing the same.

#18 Re: DOM Inspector seems to be disabled with FF 3 B4

by Racer

Wednesday March 12th, 2008 8:29 PM

DOM inspector is being removed from the default install of Firefox 3. You will still be able to get DOMI as an extension, but I don't think they've gotten the kinks out. There is another extension, FireBug, that is also touted as a good partial substitution for DOMI.

#12 zoom text only

by mynthon

Wednesday March 12th, 2008 7:01 AM

im glad that option is available :)

#13 Nearly there?

by Kelson

Wednesday March 12th, 2008 7:21 AM

So, keeping in mind that they could always add another beta if it's deemed necessary, is the current plan to move into the final stretch after beta 5?

#31 Re: Nearly there?

by roseman

Wednesday March 19th, 2008 8:10 PM

Someone in the know (not me) thought that because b5 was being "rushed" so soon after b4, that b5 might not be the last... kinda makes sense.

#14 Known problem with Gmail

by mhenriday <mhenriday@gmail.com>

Wednesday March 12th, 2008 9:48 AM

I had hoped that beta 4 would resolve a problem (bug 407257 in Bugzilla) that has been observed in Firefox 3 at least since the release of beta 2, i e. that when using the old Gmail user interface, one's quick contacts overlap the the inbox displays. Alas it did not ; the list of quick contacts still protrudes into the list of messages in the inbox. To my surprise, *nobody* has been assigned or taken responsibility for resolving this bug, which was first reported in December last year &#65307;one gets the impression that Mozilla developers - and perhaps Google developers as well - are hoping that it will simply fade away into irrelevance as the new Gmail user interface is successively rolled out. Unfortunately, remaining bugs in the new user interface have prevented Google from rolling it out as quickly as it seems they had hoped, and users with «Gmail display languages» other than «English(US)» are still using the older interface and still finding this annoying overlap between quick contacts and inbox in Gmail, which, of course, many Firefox users use. It would be wonderful if one of the Mozilla developers could devote him or herself to this problem and if it could be resolved prior to the release of FF 3.0 beta 5 or, in any event, before FF 3.0 is released to the general public....

Otherwise, my experience with the FF 3 betas has been very good, indeed, and beta 4 is by far the best of the lot. It would be delightful if the general public release of FF 3 would also pass the ACid3 test, but to be frank, I consider it far more essential that the above bug in connexion with Gmail be solved....

Henri

#34 Re: Known problem with Gmail

by bzbarsky

Friday March 21st, 2008 10:20 PM

> I had hoped that beta 4 would resolve a problem (bug 407257 in Bugzilla)

That's in evangelism, which means it needs to be fixed on Google's end. Google was depending on a layout bug which got fixed.

#16 lowercase "a" problem

by thrakkerzog

Wednesday March 12th, 2008 10:28 AM

See <http://img266.imageshack.…/img266/1117/ff3b4qx6.png>

Every lowercase letter "a" is represented as a box. It only happens in the ui -- not in the document content. This happened in beta 2, and I was hoping it would be fixed in 4. I've been unable to find any fix for it. Any ideas?

#17 hey! I fixed it!

by thrakkerzog

Wednesday March 12th, 2008 10:34 AM

I switched between "Windows Classic" and "Windows XP" themes in XP (and back again) and it resolved my font problem. Strange!

#19 Much faster

by zorinlynx

Thursday March 13th, 2008 5:34 AM

I appreciate the increased scrolling performance and general snappier operation of 3b4.

However, playing videos on CNN.com (on Mac) would be nice; they play fine with Firefox2 and Safari!

#20 how to disable places

by bhuot

Sunday March 16th, 2008 9:11 AM

How do you disable places or at least hide it or clear all data from it? I already tried deleting all bookmarks and bookmark folders, removed all extensions that it would let me delete and chose all the data possible in the Clear Private Data settings and chose Clear Private Data from the menu and restarted several times as well as set Clear Private Data on exit. I am using the Mac version.

#21 great so far

by ph1nn <ph1nn@earthlink.net>

Sunday March 16th, 2008 9:15 PM

Beta 4 is great. I can't wait until it's released. While there are huge complaints about the new Windows theme, Linux users don't have that problem. It looks perfect in Linux due to it's gtk+ integration. Awesome job so far!

#22 Mac Leopard - extension problem

by polyfade

Monday March 17th, 2008 3:57 AM

It doesn't seem like beta4 for Mac likes extensions compatible for beta4, or extensions in general. First, FF doesn't even recognize the xpi file to auto install. Second, trying to download and save the extension to the hard drive doesn't work either. I've done a fresh install of FF (trashing old preferences and trashing the old app support folder.) Has any Mac user had luck with this version? Beta3 seemed to handle FF extensions just fine. Leopard 10.5.2 – iMac 2.4 ghz – 3gb ram

#23 Several annoyances/issues

by schneidehous

Monday March 17th, 2008 5:08 AM

Don't like having my bookmarks appear in the address bar when my history is blank. The bookmarking feature does not work smoothly (I can provide more detail if anyone reads this). When I open Yahoo pages, Firefox goes into debug mode and shuts down (I can replicate this consistently). When I delete browsing history manually (in the drop-down list) it re-appears the next time I go to type in the address bar.

Version: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b4) Gecko/2008030714 Firefox/3.0b4

#24 Please Help Confirm Bug 420108

by xerxes

Monday March 17th, 2008 9:47 AM

Please help me confirm this bug. Please use a large file ~4MB to get a good reading.

<https://bugzilla.mozilla.…rg/show_bug.cgi?id=420108>

I'm not sure the issue is multiple FF installs on my part. If not, it's bound to pop up in other places. Basically the JS should make a call every second after the upload button is pressed. It can be viewed in the AJAX Debug window. FF1, FF2, Opera, IE and Safari all make JS calls every second. FF3 Beta 2, 3, 4 hangs periodically which cause the progress bar to race.

#25 Print Preview

by akayani

Tuesday March 18th, 2008 8:53 PM

I'd really like to see Print Selection work with print preview. Or even better to be able to directly select what is printed in the print preview and then refresh the display to see only those items.

Yani

#32 Any fixes for these?

by robertmarley

Thursday March 20th, 2008 1:47 PM

Is there any way in the "Show ALL Bookmarks"(bad name BTW I think)/CTRL+SHIFT+B/Library to make Firefox focus on "Bookmarks Menu" instead of "All Bookmarks" when opening it (Library)?

Also: Is it possible (like it was in FF 2) to have both the "show my windows and tabs from last time" option chosen at the same time as "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox" with the "Browser History" checked in settings and then on shutdown history is cleared and on opening tabs from last sessions are shown?

It was possible in FF 2, but with FF 3 beta 4 (portable) when I check both of these settings, then when I open FF up after having closed it: last session is not shown... only an about:blank page :(.

Why has this change been done? Now it isn't possible to use the built-in session restore along with clear history on shutdown? Why? Please tell me there is a fix! other than installing a extension for it...

Its annoying to have to clear the history manually before shutdown :(

#35 Re: Any fixes for these?

by bzbarsky

Friday March 21st, 2008 10:23 PM

Wouldn't the currently-loaded pages really be part of your history, and thus cleared if the history is cleared? I'd certainly hope this would be the case, if the point is to prevent others from seeing what sites you visited.

#37 Re: Re: Any fixes for these?

by robertmarley

Sunday March 23rd, 2008 7:08 AM

Quote: Wouldn't the currently-loaded pages really be part of your history

You could say so, but if you yourself try to clear your history with some tabs open, you'll see that they aren't closed... But if you does this in connection with closing down (while having built-in tab restore option chosen) they are closed :(. Don't like that difference. And when it all comes down, what you're saying doesn't change the fact that it was possible in FF2, but no longer in FF3. Makes no sense that you choose 'view my tabs from last time when opening' and then when opening it doesn't happen :S.

Quote: (...), and thus cleared if the history is cleared? I'd certainly hope this would be the case, if the point is to prevent others from seeing what sites you visited.

If you will prevent others from seeing what sites you visited when opening, you should just before closedown, close all your tabs, but one, which you then set as your home startpage (Alt+Home). Then after closedown and opening what page is loaded is your startpage (google.com e.g.). Then it is only google.com which is in your history.

Again: when it all comes down: FF3 has a feature which is called 'view my tabs from last time when opening'. That feature doesn't work with 'clear my history at closedown'. It did in FF2. But not in FF3. That sucks! Period! :P

#39 Re: Re: Re: Any fixes for these?

by leafdigital

Tuesday March 25th, 2008 9:43 AM

You are right: the feature should either be fixed (so that 'clear my history' actually clears all your history except for those tabs) or else the 'view my tabs from last time' option should be greyed out once you have chosen 'clear my history' so that it's clear you can't have both. The current behaviour is a bug. Have you filed it in bugzilla?

#40 Yes, I have filed it at bugzilla

by robertmarley

Wednesday March 26th, 2008 7:43 AM

Now I totally agree with you.

And yes, I Have filed it at bugzilla: <https://bugzilla.mozilla.…rg/show_bug.cgi?id=424658> , did it the other day. But doesn't seem to be any activity around it.

From the two ways you say it should work instead (of the current bug way), I strongly prefer your first one: "that 'clear my history' actually clears all your history except for those tabs". But I also agree with you that if they choose not to do it as this, the 'view my tabs from last time' option should be greyed out. But strongly hope that they will do it the first way.

#41 Re: Yes, I have filed it at bugzilla

by robertmarley

Wednesday March 26th, 2008 7:48 AM

Arh... forgot to make it as an reply. Hmm, then I can use this extra comment, to say that it would be nice if you (or someone else reading this) would backup/confirm the bug at bugzilla. Maybe that could do, that some more attention would be payed to the bug.

#43 Re: Re: Yes, I have filed it at bugzilla

by robertmarley

Saturday March 29th, 2008 5:22 AM

Okay... Now someone have replied to the bug... turns out that the bug has already been filed by a couple of times... I found out that (or at least that is what I think) the reason for why the behavior of FF2 (the right one) have been changed in FF3 (to the bug one) is probably because of this posted "bug" (I don't think it is a bug): <https://bugzilla.mozilla.…rg/show_bug.cgi?id=366572> What is said to be a problem in that "bug" is the same as 'bzbarsky'/#35 says in this discussion: That it is a problem that the open tabs is still present when opening FF after having shutdown and opened having the option 'clear my history' checked along with 'show my windows and tabs from last time'. Okay... I think this is plain stupid that the developers have listened to this inquiry. If someone doesn't want to have anything from the last history saved on opening after shutdown, then why the heck have they checked the 'show my windows and tabs from last time' feature? Doesn't make any sense? then they should just choose the option 'show my homepage' or 'show blank tab' instead. I totally agree with 'Brian Mathis' here: <https://bugzilla.mozilla.…how_bug.cgi?id=398817#c10> . Now because of this user/"bug": <https://bugzilla.mozilla.…rg/show_bug.cgi?id=366572> = someone don't know how to choose 'show my homepage' (default), instead of 'show my windows and tabs from last time' (not default), the last option has now been destroyed. This is so stupid :(. The developers have destroyed one working function and replaced it with a behavior of another function. So instead of having two separate working functions, we now have one working and one destroyed to do the same thing as the other one. Damn! that is just plain stupid. I can also add that this behavior is not only present in FF3 Beta 4. I have also tested FF3 Beta 5 pre build 200803230/ the second newest (2008-03-21 Trunk build) from the listing in here: <http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/> . Haven't tried the newest one, but I am going to do it this weekend, but from the notes it doesn't seems like this bug has been fixed :(

#44 Re: Re: Yes, I have filed it at bugzilla

by robertmarley

Saturday March 29th, 2008 5:22 AM

#45 Re: Re: Re: Yes, I have filed it at bugzilla

by robertmarley

Saturday March 29th, 2008 7:07 AM

Shit! just found out that my last post was sent double. Well, just tried out the latest trunk from here: <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pu…fox/nightly/latest-trunk/> = 2008-0329-04 . The Prove: <http://img245.imageshack.…020/ff3b5pre030904ue1.png>

The bug haven't been fixed :(

#47 Auto Update problem ...

by MadMaverick9

Tuesday April 1st, 2008 7:18 PM

Auto Update is a nice feature, but ...

The problem is that it will only work if you're logged in as Administrator/root, correct? Since it has to modify Firefox program files, which should not be modifiable by low-privilege users.

Well that is exactly the problem. You should never be logged in as Administrator/root to your computer unless you really have to. Using a webbrowser is NOT a reason to be logged in as Administrator/root.

Please do tell me if I am wrong in my assumptions about that the Auto Update requires you to run as Administrator/root. If so, I apologize for this posting.

A few comments copied from: <http://www.informationwee…8/03/security_showdo.html>

----- One suggestion that I routinely make to all Vista users: run Vista as a lesser privileged user. In other words, as a non-administrator. I’m not sure if doing so would have prevented any exploits due to the Flash-vulnerability that was discovered at CanSecWest, but there really are very few penalties for running Vista as a non-administrator (well, there’s one very annoying one where end-users can’t stop their system from auto-rebooting after a Windows Update). ----- Not just Vista - this applies to Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT as well. ----- # Kevin commented on Mar 31, 2008 10:47:57 AM Speaking of running an app in Windows OS (Win2000, XP, and Vista) as a lesser privileged user, I find it disappointing that many software reviews, from blogs to reputable magazines, do NOT mention whether the reviewed software can be installed and/or run by a lesser privileged.

Firefox for Windows can be installed and run by any regular user without any problem.

Here is an example that the vendor has admitted: Quicken 2006 does not allow a lesser privilege user to run 2007 tax estimate, even if the feature is installed. What in the world running a tax estimate needs an administrator privilege?

I have seen many applications that require installed and/or run by administrator without any reason. There are also many apps that require installed by administrator only for a minor exotic feature most people do not need or use.

The software reviews can do a lot to promote lesser privilege use by making notice the support (or lack of) by the applications, since many software vendors (and freeware authors) really care about those reviews. -----

#48 Mozilla Firefox 3 beta 4

by tigger28

Wednesday April 2nd, 2008 11:07 PM

doesnt allow older themes!

#49 firefox crashes

by tigger28

Wednesday April 2nd, 2008 11:21 PM

because ff3 beta 4 didnt support the skin I wanted to apply I tried to download ff2 and install and run it, but all I get now is crashes. I even tried uninstalling ff3 beta 4 via an uninstall program(looked 4 1 but there was none) and eventally tried uninstalling from add/remove programs but ff3 beta 4 didnt appear. now i have to resort to using seamonkey as all I get from firefox is crashes.

#50 Use Firefox Portable!

by robertmarley

Thursday April 3rd, 2008 1:17 PM

Doesn't have any answer to what #47 asked, but to #48/#49: use Firefox Portable: <http://portableapps.com/a…net/firefox_portable/test> . It doesn't install itself in system. All files stays in one root folder. That means that you can take a backup of that before you make some changes. If the changes results in FF fucks up, then just delete that ones folder and use the one from the backup folder, which have the settings from before you made a change, causing it to fuck up. If you, like me, hate splash screens, then here is how to disable it: <http://thinkhole.org/wp/2…reen-in-firefox-portable/>

FF Portable isn't slower than standard FF who install itself in system. Same speed. I doesn't use any themes so don't know anything about that. But have read about this: <http://labs.mozilla.com/2…/12/personas-for-firefox/> . Maybe that is something for you. Cheers