DOM Inspector Tutorial

Sunday June 9th, 2002

To most people, Mozilla's DOM Inspector is a useful tool for debugging web pages. To grayrest, it's "the greatest thing since sliced bread". His tutorial, grayrest's Guide to the DOM Inspector, provides an informative introduction to this handy accessory.

#1 No box model?

by eiseli

Sunday June 9th, 2002 10:19 PM

I just can toggle between DOM-Node view, CSS and JavaScript. No box model... What are you talking of, Grayrest? Is this a feature not yet available in 1.0?

#2 Re: No box model?

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Sunday June 9th, 2002 11:22 PM

See the selector at the top left of the right-hand pane.

--Asa

#3 No capture button on Linux?

by eiseli

Monday June 10th, 2002 3:43 AM

Ok, found it now. I think it's a little confusing in the text. But now when I select an element, I cannot see any "capture" button... Is it because I'm on linux?

#4 Bug 109483? (n/t)

by JessePelton

Monday June 10th, 2002 6:32 AM

#7 I followed the instructions

by leet

Monday June 10th, 2002 4:04 PM

and always get mozilla crashed whenever I try to capture any html element.

#8 a little more info, tho crash reports were sent

by leet

Monday June 10th, 2002 4:05 PM

using 1.0 on win98 w/o any downloaded chrome, etc.

#5 Re: No capture button on Linux?

by WillyWonka

Monday June 10th, 2002 8:20 AM

The capture button doesn't work too well in Windows either. It captures what's on the screen and not the html, so if you have a window on top, guess what you get a screenshot of.

#6 DOM Inspector Tutorial

by grayrest

Monday June 10th, 2002 1:07 PM

hey! Who snuck this thing on mozillazine? Anyway, yes I know the description of the pull down menus is a bit confusing and planned on supplementing the thing with pictures but never got around to it :] and (of course) real life calls. I will tweak the part about the screen capture abilities to reflect that it doesn't work under linux and only prints the screen on win32. Any word from the Mac?

#9 Not in Netscape 7 PR1

by kberk <kberk@bigfoot.com>

Monday June 10th, 2002 5:14 PM

But for some reason, this cool tool was omitted from the Netscape 7 beta. Go figure.

#10 Re: Not in Netscape 7 PR1

by grayrest

Tuesday June 11th, 2002 10:10 AM

I seem to remember it being there if you did a full install. Did the links I provide work for downloading the inspector?

#11 Re: Re: Not in Netscape 7 PR1

by kberk <kberk@bigfoot.com>

Tuesday June 11th, 2002 9:08 PM

It looks like your link will download the Mozilla RC3 version, but the Netscape 7 Beta is based on RC2.

Lets see what happens in the final version of Netscape. I hope it was my mistake because I think this is a great feature for web developers.

#12 Re: Re: Re: Not in Netscape 7 PR1

by dveditz

Friday June 14th, 2002 12:10 AM

It's a great feature for web developers, but those aren't the primary market for Netscape 7. For the vast majority of folks tools like the DOM inspector and the JS debugger will just confuse them and add to their download time.

It sure would be nice, though, if both were made easily available on developer.netscape.com or some such place rather than make people guess which of the many versions offered on mozilla.org were compatible wih which Netscape release.

#13 DOM Inspector 1.0 locked up

by fastbike

Thursday July 8th, 2004 2:34 AM

I down loaded DOM Inspector 1.0 into my extensions and I can't do anything with it. It don't open at all and I can't select anything to use it at all and of course it won't even let me delete it. Please, someone help me out.

#14 dom inspector help