Netscape 7.0 News and Reviews

Thursday May 23rd, 2002

Netscape 7.0 Preview Release 1 has received quite a lot of news coverage in the last twenty-four hours. CNET News.com kicks things off with a short article while ZDNet has the same story with reader comments. Reuters says that the beta has more features aimed at mainstream consumers while vnunet.com claims that Netscape is going for the corporate market. InfoWorld feels the need to mention Star Wars and Slashdot also has an article.

Early reviews are looking good. CNET's Rex Baldazo gives the beta 7 out of 10 but he still hasn't read the Release Notes. PCWorld.com brings us more Star Wars analogies and eWEEK thinks that the final version will be "an excellent upgrade." ZDNet AnchorDesk executive editor David Coursey spends an entire column saying how great Netscape 7.0 is before declaring that it's not worth upgrading. His accompanying radio show features comments from Netscape's Sol Goldfarb and Rex "Release Notes" Baldazo.

UPDATE! Also check out this piece from Forbes.com and some commentary from Guardian Unlimited, the online edition of the UK's The Guardian newspaper.

ANOTHER UPDATE! The Register also has a story. The second and third paragraphs sound kind of familiar.

Thanks to everyone who sent us links to news and reviews.

#1 Releases Notes

by cberger

Thursday May 23rd, 2002 11:36 AM

"CNET's Rex Baldazo gives the beta 7 out of 10 but he still hasn't read the Release Notes"

Well, I don't think more than 10% of people are going to read through this document. This document is way too long, somewhat obsolete, and critical information is difficult to find.

My Suggestions: 1) cut half of this document 2) split the release notes per/platform. this way, Windows user won't need to see details about su/root on Linux and Mac Os stuff. 3) Put the really important thing on top (like what to do to have both Mozilla and Netscape running at the same time)

#5 Re: Releases Notes

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Thursday May 23rd, 2002 3:01 PM

"Well, I don't think more than 10% of people are going to read through this document."

You're probably right. I would have thought that a reviewer might though. It's the second time Rex Baldazo has mentioned this problem so I'm surprised that he hasn't tried to find a solution, particularly as he's using Netscape 7.0 PR1 as his main browser right now (he says so in the AnchorDesk Radio show).

Of course, most Netscape users are never going to use Mozilla so they won't face this problem. And most Mozilla users probably know to refer to the release notes when they have problems. :-)

I take your point though. The issue shouldn't really exist in the first place.

Alex

#2 here's my review...

by xkalibur

Thursday May 23rd, 2002 11:41 AM

I can't use it on redhat 7.3. I've been using Mozilla release candidate's and Netscape 6.x releases for quite some time, very familiar with the install process. I put Netscape7 in /usr/lcoal/netscape7, and it won't start. Yes i ran as root first to register components, doesn't make a difference. I tried running on a completely fresh, new user account, same problem. It just creates a .mozilla directory with "appreg" in and that's it. If i run and then exit Mozilla 1.0rc2, which creates a "default" profile, then at least Netscape7 will bring up the Profile Manager. But it won't start a profile! Just says "the directory cannot be found". So I try to create a new profile, and it won't let me! The destination folder is blank, and when i click "Choose Folder", i get an empty file selector that does nothing. If I check "show hidden files", it crashes! I've tried removing the nautilus mozilla 0.9.9 from my path, and even killing off nautilus. No go. Any ideas? I'm really anxious to try the new AIM and just see what teh release is like. Thansk...

#7 Re: here's my review...

by hum

Thursday May 23rd, 2002 10:21 PM

Please read the NS7PR1 Release Notes. Look under Known Problems =)

<http://wp.netscape.com/en…la/ns7/relnotes/7pv1.html>

#27 No help at all

by cslarson79

Tuesday May 28th, 2002 10:57 PM

This is really pissing me off. And I'm not one to ususally get upset. I had the same problem as this guy. I looked at the Known Problems in NS7PR1 Release Notes and all it said was something about changing the locale to en_US. It noted this as a "workaround", but gave no directions as to how to go about doing it! Great work guys. After hearing everyone rave about NS7 I thought I might give it a try... well *#^$, I guess i'll be sticking to Mozilla...unless someone tells me how to work aroung this GLARING bug.

#29 en_US

by jippo

Saturday June 1st, 2002 2:03 PM

Thanks for pointing me straight to the problem =)!! It works ok now.

the solution is:

# export LANG=en_US # /usr/local/netscape/netscape

#3 NewsForge

by LucaMasters <mozillazine@wescnet.cjb.net>

Thursday May 23rd, 2002 2:38 PM

Anyone want to point NewsForge to this stuff? Anything that's not MQ is good.

#4 Re: NewsForge

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Thursday May 23rd, 2002 2:49 PM

You're someone.

<http://newsvac.newsforge.com/submit.pl>

:-)

(Of course this is technically closed-source stuff so they might not go for it.)

Alex

#6 Still can't use two pane mail

by ecarlson

Thursday May 23rd, 2002 9:34 PM

As I said many months ago, I am waiting for this bug to be fixed so I can switch away from Netscape 4.79.

<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21344>

Can anyone recommend a good two-pane mail reader with a good folder selector so I can switch to IE and stop waiting for this bug to be fixed? Netscap e4.79 won't load or freezes on too many pages.

I basically want the old Netscape 4.79 two pane mail reader and a new browser.

- Eric, <http://www.InvisibleRobot.com/>

#8 Re: Still can't use two pane mail

by leafdigital

Friday May 24th, 2002 3:40 AM

That looks like a possibly useful feature which will be nice when they get it in, though that isn't going to be 1.0.

But it seems to me that if you really like Netscape 4.79's email interface then you should maybe use Netscape 4.79 to read mail, and Netscape 7.0 or Mozilla (or, if you prefer it, IE) to browse the Web. Is there a problem with this solution?

Personally, I'd prefer more or less anything - certainly including Mozilla's mail client - over the 4.79 one. But I actually use Outlook Express at home (it supports several features I need that Mozilla doesn't have), and Outlook at work (we use Exchange server so it'd be silly to use anything else). Despite this, I use Mozilla to browse in both places. So I don't think there's any problem with using one company's browser and a different manufacturer's email client.

(btw, this post didn't quite say it, so I am not referring to this post, but I wish people would stop doing the 'my pet bug hasn't been fixed therefore m1.0 or n7.0 cannot possibly be a successful release' thing... recognise that it's just your pet bug... deal. My pet bug is that you can't edit bookmarks directly in the bookmark menu with right-click (bug 19437), and there's no sign of them fixing that either, but I'll live.)

--sam

#9 Linking Netscape 4.79 mail with Mozilla browser?

by ecarlson

Friday May 24th, 2002 9:03 AM

Okay, how do I link the Mozilla browser with the Netscape 4.79 mail client, and how do I remove the 4.79 browser components from the 4.79 mail client?

#10 Just tried 1.0 RC3 mail client

by ecarlson

Friday May 24th, 2002 11:05 AM

I just tried 1.0 RC3 mail client, and quickly found 4 things that make it worse that 4.79 for me. Part of what makes it worse for me is that all my messages are sorted into folders via filters when they come in. If they all stayed in the inbox, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but I can't imagine not filtering the tons of e-mail I receive.

1. It is difficult to use without the Location toolbar. - The third pane takes up too much display area, and it doesn't shrink and expand well.

2. It appears that the Status column doesn't indicate NEW messages, so I can't tell old unread messages from new messages.

3. When going to another folder, it doesn't jump to the new messages, so I have to scroll down to read the new messages.

4. The new header display reduces message display area.

I get a much more solid user interface feeling when I use 4.79 mail client.

- Eric, InvisibleRobot.com <http://www.InvisibleRobot.com/>

#11 Update: Just tried 1.0 RC3 mail client

by ecarlson

Friday May 24th, 2002 11:13 AM

Very strange.

This time, bugs 2 and 3 I mentioned above seem to be gone. I guess they are intermittent bugs. I just received new mail, and when I went to the folder to retrieve it, it jumped to the bottom, and the status said "NEW". I wonder why it didn't work the first time.

I'll have to see if I can repeat the original problem.

- Eric, InvisibleRobot.com <http://www.InvisibleRobot.com/>

#12 Found the bugs

by ecarlson

Friday May 24th, 2002 12:18 PM

Here's what causes bugs 2 and 3: Downloading messages again clears any new message flags from the previous message download. How useless.

How do I find out if this bug has already been reported, and how do I report it if it hasn't?

It does have the cool feature of displaying image attachments inline from Outlook messages, unlike 4.79.

I've found a few bugs in the browser too.

#15 Re: Found the bugs

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Friday May 24th, 2002 4:55 PM

"How do I find out if this bug has already been reported..."

This is the method I use: Go to the Bugzilla Query Page <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/query.cgi> and select all of the possible values (UNCONFIRMED, NEW etc.) in the 'Status' box. Choose 'MailNews' as the 'Program' and type a few words you think will appear in the summary of the bug in the 'Summary' box (e.g. "get msgs download message clears new mail flag"). Choose 'all words as substrings' in the drop-down box next to the field. Leave the rest of the form as it is and press 'Submit query'. Look at the summaries in the resulting bug list and take a look at any likely candidates. You may not find the original bug but you might find a duplicate. You may have to go back and tweak your query a few times. You should probably also have a look at the How to Find Previously Reported Bugs <http://www.mozilla.org/qu…ng-duplicate-finding.html> tutorial.

"... and how do I report it if it hasn't?"

Read the Bug Writing Guidelines <http://www.mozilla.org/qu…g-writing-guidelines.html> and then file your bug using the Bugzilla Helper <http://www.mozilla.org/qu…help/bugzilla-helper.html> form.

Alex

#16 Thanks

by ecarlson

Friday May 24th, 2002 6:47 PM

I'll try those sources.

#25 I submitted the bug

by ecarlson

Monday May 27th, 2002 12:30 AM

I couldn't find the "'New' status" bug after trying many search terms, so I submitted it.

For the "lack of multi-column bookmark lists" but, I found a similar bug, so I added my vote.

#30 netscape 7.0 cannot be restarted after mail settin

by pjacob

Monday October 28th, 2002 10:23 PM

I cannot start the netscape 7.0 once the mail settings(account created) have been made.It works fine if I delete the Mail folder or if I create a different user profile for which the mail account hasn't been created. Philip

#31 Re: netscape 7.0 cannot be restarted after mail settin

by pjacob

Tuesday October 29th, 2002 12:15 AM

Pls note that I found the above platform with respect to linux os.

#32 Re: netscape 7.0 cannot be restarted after mail settin

by pjacob

Tuesday October 29th, 2002 12:20 AM

Pls note that I found the above problem with respect to linux os for netscape 7.0.

#19 Re: Just tried 1.0 RC3 mail client

by SithMonkey

Friday May 24th, 2002 11:59 PM

"4. The new header display reduces message display area."

This is easy to fix. Next to the Subject field in the mail header is a little arrow pointing downward. Click on it and the header will change from 4 lines to 1 line. (Actually I'm using Netscape 6.2 But I believe this works the same in Mozilla)

#20 More info.

by ecarlson

Saturday May 25th, 2002 12:10 AM

Yes, I did do that much. I can get used to it, but in either case, it still takes up message reading space. In 4.79, the header just scrolls off the screen when you scroll down the message text, so it doesn't take up any extra space. Also, I like to see the TO: info, and that dissapears in the one-line header.

#4 was the least of the four concerns I listed. The other 3 are much more important. In fact, I could probably even get used to using 3 panes untill the Location bar is fixed, so that makes #2 & #3 the biggest concerns of the bunch, or actually the clearing of the "NEW" flags upon message download is the biggest concern.

#23 Re: More info.

by SithMonkey

Saturday May 25th, 2002 2:38 PM

"I'm giving RC3 a tryout to see what I really can live with and can't live with. The last tryout I did was 0.9.2, and it was bad, and RC3 is definately better. Hopefully the "can't live with's" will soon be fixed."

This is probably the best thing that you can do. It sounds like you've been using Communicator for a long time and are used to its way of doing things. The only way that you'll get used to a different program is to start using it. Who knows you might even find a few new features in Mozilla that will become part of your "can't live without" list once you get used to them.

#13 100 millions users?

by TonyG <tony.gorman@blueyonder.co.Yuk>

Friday May 24th, 2002 12:36 PM

"Since most AOL users have more than one "screen name" on a single account - one for each member of the family, say, that means the real number of new Netscape users could be closer to 100 million, all within a few months of AOL making the change. "

Interesting claim. Anyone think it is realistic?

#14 Re: 100 millions users?

by tny

Friday May 24th, 2002 2:23 PM

I'd say that there are on average 1.75 screen-names per AOL account. The question is: is that 30M figure accounts, or screennames?

#17 The number of new Netscape users would be zero

by mpthomas

Friday May 24th, 2002 10:27 PM

AOL switching to the Gecko engine wouldn't increase the number of Netscape users at all. What it *would* increase would be the number of Gecko users.

-- mpt

#24 Not necessarily

by baffoni

Sunday May 26th, 2002 3:28 PM

Remember, it is all a numbers game. Right now, every browsing AOL user shows up as an IE user. If the gecko version is associated with Netscape (rightly or wrongly), then it will change the numbers of reported Netsape users. Heck, they may change the string to actually PUT netscape in it, just to (to some, artificially) inflate those numbers just to make sure enough developers are designing to it. Or it could branch off as it's own sub-group (Mozilla, Netscape, AOL, etc.) of gecko browsers, depending on how the stat sites detect and interpret it.

#18 CNet User Reviews

by DavidGerard <fun@thingy.apana.org.au>

Friday May 24th, 2002 11:17 PM

<http://download.com.com/3302-2354-10113906.html>

Interesting to see what the general public make of this thing.

Pretty positive so far. Microsoft needs to get out and astroturf, obviously.

#21 Re: CNet User Reviews

by TonyG <tony.gorman@blueyonder.co.Yuk>

Saturday May 25th, 2002 7:26 AM

Of the few grumbles I read in this list of comments, I think memory footprint was the only one that couldnt be resolved by clarifying the correct way to do a custom (no net2phone etc) install.

Looking good for *.Gecko

#22 Please, just a browser!

by Fireball1244 <fireball1244@mac.com>

Saturday May 25th, 2002 10:30 AM

The browser itself is nice. But the mail and news clients blow. My Mac OS X machine already has a stellar newsreader and mail program. Please, Netscape, just release a BROWSER so that when I click on a mailto: link I have a window open up in Apple Mail, not your cruddy, lame, ugly email component.

If Netscape would release a 7.0 browser-only edition and give it a decent UI that doesn't look like dog vomit next to Aqua, I'd switch to it in a heartbeat (at least until the MozDev Chimera project is complete).

#26 Only when it's suits you.

by jelwell

Tuesday May 28th, 2002 5:45 PM

Chris Nelson, mozillzine.org owner, "I have made it known to a few people that I will no longer be fielding Netscape news on my site. You may see news of product releases, but you will no longer see links to reviews, complaints, rants, or any other information having to do with the Netscape product."

I guess that quote only applied when the news and reviews were bad. ;) Joseph Elwell

#28 Look what's missing

by kberk <kberk@bigfoot.com>

Wednesday May 29th, 2002 6:49 AM

No Chatzilla. No DOM Inspector. At leaste its on JRE 1.4.