Meeting to Choose Server Software for Official Firefox Support

Monday July 2nd, 2007

Chris Illias wrote in to inform us of a meeting to decide on the server software to be used in creating the official Firefox Support Knowledge Base and forum.

On Tuesday, July 3rd, there will be a conference call at 2pm PST. Call-in numbers for the meeting are:

• California: 650-903-0800 then extension 91
  • Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 91
  • Toll-free: 800-707-2533 (866-879-4799 as a backup) then password 369
  • Conference bridge: 280
The candidates for the server software include TikiWiki (Test page), MediaWiki (used by Mozilla Wiki), Drupal (used by Spread Firefox) and Jive Software (Test page)

As per JT Batson of Mozilla Corporation, Mozilla community volunteers have provided Firefox user support that has met the needs of the early adopter users of Firefox. As Firefox’s market share grows beyond early adopters, mozilla support working group has recommended that Mozilla offer a official support system under the mozilla.com umbrella. For more information, please visit Support Overview at Mozilla Wiki and the mozilla.support.planning newsgroup.

There has been some speculation towards the role of mozillaZine once the official support structure is in place. Jason Kersey of mozillaZine has stated that mozillaZine forums and knowledge base would continue as normal, and that there is no plan to drop any features.

#1 Are you jiving me?

by jcraig

Monday July 2nd, 2007 11:41 PM

Oh god not Jive! Comcast was using that software until it was unceremoniously dumped about a year ago. It's just bad. Bad!

#4 Re: Are you jiving me?

by nonpareility <jbird3000@hotmail.com>

Tuesday July 3rd, 2007 11:34 AM

Was it really the software that was bad, or was it the company behind the software?

#6 Re: Are you jiving me?

by ctb

Tuesday July 3rd, 2007 1:48 PM

From what I understand they were using Jive Forums, which is a very different product from Clearspace. Check out the evaluation site and see what you think, <http://eval.jivesoftware.com/clearspace>

#2 More info

by nonpareility <jbird3000@hotmail.com>

Tuesday July 3rd, 2007 6:37 AM

"We will also be in IRC #sumo and I will of course post the notes on my blog for those of you who can't make it."

<http://groups.google.com/…m/thread/ab3301184046a210>

#3 Jive Clearspace

by ctb

Tuesday July 3rd, 2007 11:04 AM

I dunno what jcraig is talking about, Clearspace is pretty awesome. Maybe you should give it another shot since you said it was a year ago that you last used it.

#5 Disclaimer

by ctb

Tuesday July 3rd, 2007 1:46 PM

I am a Jive employee, so I am biased. ;)

#7 MediaWiki

by ruturajv

Tuesday July 3rd, 2007 9:16 PM

I'd vote for MediaWiki, for its ease on Servers...

anybody has given a <http://www.twiki.org/> a try ? Uses flat files !!

#8 Java.

by Lancer

Tuesday July 3rd, 2007 9:32 PM

Php is depressing.

#9 Re: Java.

by wenzel

Wednesday July 4th, 2007 2:13 AM

Hm. Actually that's what people say about Java too ;)

#12 Try MOIN-MOIN :)

by mpathy

Friday November 23rd, 2007 6:26 AM

It is. And because of that an various other reasons, I ask myself why Mozilla don't try <b>MoinMoin, a wiki written in python.</b>

I think a list of sites using it will prove it is more than <b>stable and mature and has a good scalability:</b>

* Apache * Fedora * Ubuntu <i>(very good example! wiki.ubuntu.com!)</i> * Mercurial * Debian * CAcert.org * Kernel Newbies * Xen * LinuxWiki (de) * OpenOffice.org Wiki (de)

But it ends like it ends every time - they will use MediaWiki. But okay, Media Wiki is by far the best of the listed above.

If they would list MoinMoin to evaluate then surely not. But I don't want to make advertising - I think the list above should be enough.

If you want to check if it is something for you, just write the wiki admins of this page, you will hear how happy they are since they switched to MoinMoin from MediaWiki and some very ugly not named perl-based wikis ;)

#13 Sorry, messed up my list..

by mpathy

Friday November 23rd, 2007 6:30 AM

Sorry guys, messed up my list and there is no edit-button..

And I forgot the link to Moin-Moin: <http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/>

<b>List of projects using Moin-Moin</b>

<ul> <li>Apache</li> <li>Fedora</li> <li>Ubuntu <i>(very good example! wiki.ubuntu.com!)</i> <li>Mercurial</li> <li>Dovecot</li> <li>Debian</li> <li>CAcert.org</li> <li>Kernel Newbies</li> <li>Xen</li> <li>LinuxWiki (german)</li> <li>OpenOffice.org Wiki (german)</li> </ul>

#10 So?

by prometeo

Thursday July 12th, 2007 6:03 AM

Now that the meeting is over, what should we expect? Is a resume available anywhere?

#11 prog lang version support

by el_vartauy

Thursday September 20th, 2007 4:19 AM

indepently of the selected, as the "Raising Mozilla on Linux Runtime Requirements Proposed", take care that php4 will be supported until 31-12-2007, php5 ready will be a point. good luck and go ahead.