Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4 Released

Thursday May 31st, 2007

Yesterday saw the release of Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4, the latest update to the Mozilla Corporation's flagship browser. Firefox 2.0.0.4 improves support for Windows Vista and fixes several security flaws. Details about the security fixes can be found in the Firefox 2.0.0.4 section of the Mozilla Foundation Security Advisories page.

The Firefox 2.0.0.4 Release Notes have more details about this release. Firefox 2.0.0.4 can be downloaded from the Firefox product page. For the first time, localised Afrikaans and Belarusian editions are available.

Most existing Firefox 2 users will be alerted to the new version by the software update feature built in to the browser. For the first time, this upgrade will also be offered to users of Firefox 1.5.0.12 via the 1.5 software update system. This is intended to get all Firefox users on the latest version so that the Mozilla Corporation can end support for Firefox 1.5.

#1 Thunderbird 2.0.0.2?

by ckeene

Friday June 1st, 2007 1:50 AM

The following is from a CERT advisory released this morning. ###################### III. Solution

Upgrade

These vulnerabilities are addressed in Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4, Firefox 1.5.0.12, Thunderbird 2.0.0.4, Thunderbird 1.5.0.12, SeaMonkey 1.0.9, SeaMonkey 1.1.2. By default, Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, and SeaMonkey automatically check for updates. ########################

CERT are normally good at getting their facts right, so are we to expect a Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 or is this a mistake?

In any case, I am currently using 2.0.0.0 and have just 'Help>check for updates' and found none available, which implies there currently isn't a solution!

#9 Re: Thunderbird 2.0.0.2?

by DP3_001

Saturday June 2nd, 2007 1:37 PM

If the update system doesn't respond for you, you'll have to download FF 2.0.0.4 from Firefox's home page. In any case, that'll be quickly replaced by the 2.0.0.5 version (which is 2.0.0.4 with two bug fixes). If you're up to it, you could just get that by just going for the latest FF nightly:

<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pu…ightly/latest-mozilla1.8/>

As for Thunderbird, their nightlies are getting the same version number:

<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pu…ightly/latest-mozilla1.8/>

#2 I would be happy to upgrade to FF v2 but...

by ajpaterson

Friday June 1st, 2007 2:52 AM

... the Form History Manager extension does not work with v2. The author has indicated that it is very unlikely that this extension will ever work on v2 as the API has changed significantly and some of the functions used by the extension have been taken out of Firefox. As form history is either on (all form data saved) or off (no form data saved) and it is not possible to selectively allow/disallow it by URL, this extension is very important to me because it enables me to remove items like credit card numbers etc. without having to remove all of the form history, some of which is useful to retain. Unless the author of Form History Manager finds a way to make that extension run on FF v2, I will be very reluctant to upgrade from FF v1.5 on any machine where I may have to enter private information (e.g. Internet banking, e-commerce, etc.).

#5 Re: I would be happy to upgrade to FF v2 but...

by Benko

Friday June 1st, 2007 8:25 AM

Why don't you try Enhanced History Manager. It works well with FF 2.00.4.

#32 Re: Re: I would be happy to upgrade to FF v2 but..

by TesserId

Tuesday October 30th, 2007 6:49 AM

"Enhanced History Manager" doesn't seem to manage form history (though it does a nice job of searching visited URL's).

I suppose that could help with URL's that contain form data, but the Form History Manager extension led us to believe that lists of previous field entries were stored elsewhere.

Storing such things as credit card numbers or passwords that were accidently entered into non-password fields could be a problem for some people. Since some people depend upon saved form data, being able to edit individual entries would seem to be very important.

In which files does Firefox store saved form entries, and what tools are there to edit the individual entries?

#3 NT 4

by SomeGuy

Friday June 1st, 2007 4:33 AM

Smooth update under NT 4! Just ran the updater and all went well. Works great! Thank you Firefox team!

#4 Troubles with freeze-ups and cookies

by PurpleCrayon

Friday June 1st, 2007 5:44 AM

Since I updated to the new version of Firefox I've experienced increased problems using MySpace (I keep getting errors regarding cookies when I click on MySapce links -- such as "Add Me" -- on certain pages) and Firefox simply freezing up and giving me a "Done" word in the lower left corner when the page is obviously not done loading. This happens frequently. I have to shut down Firefox and start again.

I'm using a Mac OS X iBook G4 that, until this point, had no trouble handling anything thrown at it. This latest version of Firefox, however, is causing all sorts of hang-ups in the system.

What gives?

Bill

#6 Re: Troubles with freeze-ups and cookies

by roseman

Friday June 1st, 2007 10:55 AM

Bugzilla has a bunch of entries about MySpace pages loading painfully slowly, not at all, or outright crashing. Many bugs talk about JAVA related crashes, but i always keep Java turned off.

For me personally, FF-1.5 on W98se works ok (a bit slow, but usable); FF-1.5 on WinXP2 works well; FF-2.0 on WinXP2 is sloooooowwwwwwwwwwww... 3-4 minutes perpage, but at least no crashes.

some bugzilla entries seem to say both ff-1.5 and ff-2.0 suffer, though for me the 2.0 branch is much worse.

It "might" be related to what extensions are added in... many entries think it is a kind of drawing-loop, where the page never renders, or only slowly... on my machine with FF-2.0 (xp) i do NOT see any large processor usage, so don't think it is a cpu-usage issue...

Let me know if you find out WHAT is causing it, or how to fix it!

i am DREADING the change to FF-2.0 at home (where i use MySpace the most)...

#19 Re: Re: Troubles with freeze-ups and cookies

by 4td8s

Monday June 4th, 2007 12:50 PM

I'm not a big fan of MySpace although my brother uses it. I just delete the entire user profile (which was kinda overstuffed) and let FF 2.0.0.4 create a new one and FF 2.0.0.4 under WinXP SP2 seems to run better with a clean user profile. I advise my brother to NEVER use IE to view MySpace.com pages and to use FF instead and installed a bunch of MySpace ad blockers including the Adblock Plus extension for Firefox.

#30 Re: Re: Troubles with freeze-ups and cookies

by Galadhrian <galadhrian@yahoo.com>

Sunday June 10th, 2007 6:57 PM

Hi... *sigh* My turn to encounter this. I knew I shouldn't have upgraded to FF-2.0 (just yet). I'm encountering the same hiccup as Bill now. "Done" reflected on the browser's status bar but then again it's a blank screen. My Dell OS is WinXP2.

Has anyone managed to resolve this or worked their way around it yet? I'm trying to recall the date I upgraded to FF-2.0 so that I can do a System Restore, see if that works (no, I can't remember the date I upgraded to FF-2.0).

I don't want to mess around with the system too much because I'm sharing the PC with my brother.

#31 Re: Re: Troubles with freeze-ups and cookies

by Galadhrian <galadhrian@yahoo.com>

Sunday June 10th, 2007 7:39 PM

Hang on, I've forgotten about one more site - Photobucket. I'm having the same problem with Photobucket as MySpace. "Done" and a blank browser. Has anyone else encountered this?

#29 FF2.0.0.4

by sprezzaturon

Thursday June 7th, 2007 12:28 PM

In reference to the message about difficulty with MySpace and FF, I've noticed this happening with several Java sites. FF will act like it is hung up by not letting me switch to other open tabs (however I don't get a 'not responding' message when I check with Windows Task Manager). After 2 to 3 minutes, FF will become responsive again. Very frustrating...

#7 Entry Point Not Found

by pc280770

Friday June 1st, 2007 4:10 PM

I updated to Firefox 2.0.0.4 yesterday and after closing down, I got the following error:

"The procedure entry point JS_SealObject could not be located in the dynamic link library js3250.dll"

I have uninstalled and re-installed and still get the same error.

In frustration, I have downloaded Seamonkey and am using that instead. Be warned!!

#8 problems...problems...problems

by jrs66

Saturday June 2nd, 2007 8:34 AM

Using an intel machine and Mac OSX...

Browser does not get the focus until I click on the title bar... this is a serious regression, it tends to make you believe the browser is completely locked up.

#10 what's next?

by Lancer

Sunday June 3rd, 2007 3:33 AM

2.0.0.4.1 ?

#11 New Features

by Catamitus <T_R_A_S_H_Y@hotmail.com>

Sunday June 3rd, 2007 5:16 PM

The new fixed-width tabs are murder, I do a lot of online research and having half my tabs hidden off screen and having to scroll around to hunt for them is driving me insane, is there any way of getting back the old tab system without giving up on v2 altogether?

#12 New Features

by Catamitus <T_R_A_S_H_Y@hotmail.com>

Sunday June 3rd, 2007 5:35 PM

#13 Re: New Features

by pirat

Monday June 4th, 2007 3:17 AM

Yeah, hiding tabs was one of the worst ideas Fx-2 came up with, I'm still using Fx-1.5. And because some lightweight tab-manager is nowhere to be seen, I don't know which browser I'll be using in the near future, seriously.

#14 Re: Re: New Features

by BenoitRen

Monday June 4th, 2007 3:52 AM

SeaMonkey, of course! :)

You can install only the browser, too. No need to have the full suite.

#18 Re: Re: Re: New Features

by 4td8s

Monday June 4th, 2007 12:39 PM

SeaMonkey 1.1.2 and/or K-Meleon 1.1. I'll take both since both Seamonkey and Kmeleon work well on my computers.

#20 Re: Re: Re: New Features

by pirat

Monday June 4th, 2007 2:01 PM

Eh, SeaMonkey was probably the first browser ever to hide tabs ;) And in what wonderful way - after certain number of tabs there were none visible changes in the tabbar at all, although browser tabs kept adding :) But yes, it was years ago.

#15 Getting old tab functionality

by aengblom <aengblom@gwu.edu>

Monday June 4th, 2007 10:09 AM

<http://www.lifehacker.com…-tab-scrolling-208251.php>

There's also a way to get the "x" back on the right (and off the tab), not sure if it's included in the "hack" or not.

#16 Re: ...a way to get the "x" back on the right...

by roseman

Monday June 4th, 2007 10:36 AM

browser.tabs.closeButtons

From: <http://kb.mozillazine.org…Browser.tabs.closeButtons>

'Firefox 2.0 introduced a number of refinements to its tabbed browsing UI. Among them was the addition of close buttons on tabs. This preference controls how they can be displayed on tabs.

Possible values and their effects: "

------------------------------------- 0 Display a close button on the active tab only

------------------------------------- 1 Display close buttons on all tabs (Default)

------------------------------------- 2 Donít display any close buttons

------------------------------------- 3 Display a single close button at the end of the tab strip (Firefox 1.x behavior)

-------------------------------------

please check the KB article for yourself (!), just in case i made any booboos :)

#17 Re: ...a way to get the "x" back on the right.

by roseman

Monday June 4th, 2007 10:38 AM

#21 Re: Re: ...a way to get the "x" back on the right.

by pirat

Monday June 4th, 2007 2:11 PM

But if I understand it right there are still tabs hidden "away". And for me the tabs I don't see (directly) are the tabs that don't exist. The only sensible solution for me are multirow tabs a-la TMP, but it needs someone to take TMP and strip it down to bare minimum...

#23 Re: Re: Re: ...a way to get the "x" back on the ri

by BenoitRen

Tuesday June 5th, 2007 8:03 AM

The Flowing Tabs extension offers that feature.

#25 Re: Re: Re: Re: ...a way to get the "x" back on th

by pirat

Tuesday June 5th, 2007 10:35 AM

Thank you very much! Nice and clean code.

#27 Re: Re: ...a way to get the "x" back on the right.

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Tuesday June 5th, 2007 1:45 PM

"pssst, don't forget that the mouse-wheel, when hovering over the tab bar, can scroll the tabs left or right :)"

I never knew that. Thanks!

Alex

#26 Half my tabs hidden off screen - take a look at:

by roseman

Tuesday June 5th, 2007 1:00 PM

this might be of some use to you:

<https://addons.mozilla.or…/en-US/firefox/addon/3726>

"Tab Overflow Scrollbar 1.7"

#22 I don't suppose...

by Catamitus <T_R_A_S_H_Y@hotmail.com>

Monday June 4th, 2007 5:37 PM

...there's some way of getting the bookmarks bar to go to two rows? I've reduced all the links to just an icon and I'm still out of room, and it does that same hiding-to-the-side thing that the new tabs are doing.

Thanks so much to the people who posted patches/hacks, I'm about to instal them now, cheers

-ethan

#24 Re: bookmarks bar to go to two rows?

by roseman

Tuesday June 5th, 2007 8:22 AM

lemmie know if you find one!!

i have 1.5Megs of bookmarks, lots of folder/subfolders within the bookmarks... i use shorter names to get more buttons on the visible parts of the bookmarks bar, but would love to go to two rows :)

#28 Re: I don't suppose...

by scorzonera

Wednesday June 6th, 2007 3:08 AM

Haven't tried any of these myself (I use folders & subfolders to categorize my bookmarks in the bookmarks toolbar), so see for yourself if they actually work:

<http://kb.mozillazine.org…iple_row_bookmark_toolbar>

Or, if you use the Stylish extension ( <https://addons.mozilla.or…/en-US/firefox/addon/2108> ), you could try the following userstyle: <http://userstyles.org/style/show/70>