Preview Build of Mozilla Firefox with Mac OS X Native Form Controls Available

Tuesday May 15th, 2007

Josh Aas has announced the availability of a Mozilla Firefox preview build for Mac OS X with native form controls. The experimental build is currently only available for Intel-based Macs, though a PowerPC version is promised.

The lack of native Aqua-styled widgets for webpage form controls in the OS X edition of Firefox has been a source of complaint for many in the Mac community for a number of years. Josh hopes to be able to enable native form controls in the trunk builds of Firefox within the next few weeks, meaning that they should be included in the forthcoming Firefox 3.

The experimental build is a preview only and testers have been asked not to file bug reports for any issues they discover.

#1 Linux?

by dmbtech

Tuesday May 15th, 2007 7:47 PM

How about the same for linux(native gtk2 widgets)? I think i'v seen a proof of concept, but will it be contributed to Firefox3 release?

#2 Although

by tobypowell

Wednesday May 16th, 2007 12:12 AM

I wonder what this means for Camino... I have tried to use Camino before and found that it was not incorporating as many of the features that Firefox have, which forced me to go back to firefox (keyboard shortcuts missing, I'm not sure FAYT worked) but does this mean that Camino's purpose in "life" is now being eroded?

Shame, cos I liked the idea of it

#4 Re: Although

by pplwong

Wednesday May 16th, 2007 7:20 AM

While firefox "simulates" theme, I believe Camino actually *use* native graphic stuff. So I think all those "native gui" programs on Win/Mac/Linux still serve their purpose for who prefer completely "native" :).

THough in my point of view, all those "native" ones lag in functionality etc. Personally, I think it's better for them to help firefox to improve look and performance on their platform instead of creating a satellite projects like that. Just my own opinion anyway, people have diff priorities :)

#6 Re: Re: Although

by bzbarsky

Wednesday May 16th, 2007 9:47 AM

> While firefox "simulates" theme, I believe Camino actually *use* native graphic stuff. So I think all those "native gui" > programs on Win/Mac/Linux still serve their purpose for who prefer completely "native" :).

You're talking about the app UI, where nothing is changing on the Firefox end. Josh's post is talking about HTML rendering. That's basically identical in Camino and Firefox; both will benefit from this change.

#9 Re: Re: Re: Although

by pplwong

Wednesday May 16th, 2007 1:28 PM

I know, I'm just replying to tobypowell's post, in which he said "does this mean that Camino's purpose in 'life' is now being eroded". Though I admit I mis-read his "eroded" as "ended".

#3 Some speculation

by Shadow_Fox

Wednesday May 16th, 2007 7:13 AM

I think the main problem here is that Firefox's popularity is over shadowing Camino and most people have no idea it even exists. It's a shame of course.

#5 Big mistake...

by MillenniumX

Wednesday May 16th, 2007 7:33 AM

I've been using Macs since I was four years old, I still say that ultimately this is a misguided attempt at pandering to Aqua fanboys. OSX's native widgets cannot be made to respond to styling. This makes them bad for the Web. They're great for actual Mac applications, but when it comes to Web pages they are simply not the right tool for the job.

#7 Re: Big mistake...

by Uetzicle

Wednesday May 16th, 2007 10:36 AM

The nightly builds of WebKit still use the Mac OS X widgets by default. But when any styling is applied, the 'Aqua' style is changed to the more 'generic' Firefox-style widgets. This way, if a designer wishes to theme their widgets, they can. Not all the widgets do this yet (i don't believe select boxes do), but it's a start. This feature will no doubt be part of Leopard's Safari (and possibly a Tiger update). I think this is a perfectly acceptable middle road, and something I hope Firefox and Camino will emulate.

There by default, but can be overridden.

#10 Re: Re: Big mistake...

by bzbarsky

Wednesday May 16th, 2007 2:56 PM

> But when any styling is applied, the 'Aqua' style is changed

That's exactly how native theming (what Josh is implementing) works in Gecko, yeah.

#11 Such a big mistake! A crisis!

by leafdigital

Friday May 25th, 2007 3:07 AM

And it's already going on! And has been for the last several years! About 95% of Firefox users already have native, fancy-styled buttons, because it supports the XP-styled buttons. Since the sun has exploded and everyone died as a result, I can see why people would be cautious about applying the same thing to Mac versions.

Seriously, good news. I have to say, as a Mac Firefox user, I totally didn't notice. When I first saw this issue come up I wasn't actually sure whether Firefox used Aqua-y buttons or not; at work on a PC at the time, I had to check when I went home. But on the 'makes things slightly nicer' tip, definitely a good feature.

--sam

#8 Sounds promising...

by buldir

Wednesday May 16th, 2007 1:10 PM

but until Firefox outperforms Camino, I will continue to use the latter, thank you very much. At least people using Mac have less of an excuse to use IE now. :)