Full Article Attached BugDays Are Back!

Tuesday February 12th, 2002

Join us this Thursday and Friday as we work to clean up the bug database, weeding out duplicate reports, confirming or resolving bugs, and adding comments and testcases to assist developers working on difficult issues. We're getting very close to Mozilla 1.0. We need your help to ensure that important problems aren't overlooked and we need your time so that developers can focus on fixing bugs rather than reading a bunch of duplicate or incomplete reports.

#1 Here's the where and when

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Tuesday February 12th, 2002 6:45 PM

For those that don't want to read the full article:

"When and where is it?" This week we'll be hosting two BugDays, one on Thursday and one on Friday. It's all happening in #mozillazine irc://irc.mozilla.org/mozillazine at irc.mozilla.org starting around 10 am PST (GMT -8) and going until 8 PM PST.

--Asa

#2 Who cares?

by protomala

Wednesday February 13th, 2002 10:24 AM

I posted some bugs in the last days (and some should be fixeded REALLY before 1.0), but all I'm getting is "after 1.0". So, really, now isn't the time for posting about bugs that aren't absolute crashes that can be easily reproduced. This isn't actually a complain, just a warning.

#3 which bugs?

by thelem

Wednesday February 13th, 2002 10:53 AM

what numbers?

#8 numbers....

by protomala

Thursday February 14th, 2002 6:00 AM

Well, here is what I found (I don't keep old mails, so I have not all numbers) recently: 122989, 113874 (mine was a duplicate of this, I consider this a grave bug for ANY release, even 0.9.x). This two are enought, they deserved more attention. But I'm not complaining as I said before, I this it's better just getting the critical bugs fixed and stabilizing Mozilla API (do someone knows if 1.1 will keep the API ot there will be 1.0.x versions?), so people can really start creating apps and themes for XUL. Remember, mozilla is always accused of being really out of time, so getting some bugs to later isn't a bad thing at all.

#17 Re: numbers....

by gav

Friday February 15th, 2002 12:33 PM

<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=122989> Is currently unconfirmed, because there are no concrete steps to reproduce. bugs are unlikely to be fixed unless they can be reproduced on demand.

#5 it's not about reporting bugs.

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday February 13th, 2002 6:34 PM

The idea here is not to report a bunch of new bugs. BugDay is an oportunity to get more involved than just reporting a bug. There are 17,000 people that have reported bugs. This is about getting in and triaging, cleaning, adding value, requesting more info, making the existing bugs more useful. BugDay is way to take the next step and get more integrated into the process than just filing a bug and walking away.

--Asa

#4 so much for bug day...

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Wednesday February 13th, 2002 4:57 PM

moznet is now putting up a ban. I can't even get any discussion done much less join bugday...

basic

#6 Re: so much for bug day...

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday February 13th, 2002 6:36 PM

putting up a ban? what do you mean? have you previously been successful at connecting and now it's not working? are you behind some kind of firewall? I'm able to connect at home and at work with the links in the article.

--Asa

#7 Re: Re: so much for bug day...

by basic <_basic@yahoo.com>

Wednesday February 13th, 2002 10:43 PM

from what I heard someone messed up something and banned everybody for a few hours. ;-) Its fixed now though

#9 GTK in Linux Version

by protomala

Thursday February 14th, 2002 6:02 AM

One of the bugs (actualy a wish) I want to see fixed is GTK native widgets on Mozilla. I know that it's already working, just that builds are compiled without it, so it's already in the source tree.

Someone knows when this will be compiled on daily builds?

#10 Re: GTK in Linux Version

by schauvea

Thursday February 14th, 2002 12:16 PM

I suspect that GTK native widgets are implemented with gtk2 (actually gtk1.3) Most peoples are still using the 'old' gtk1.2 so I believe that we will have to wait for the final Gnome 2 release to get some gtk2 nightlies.

#16 GTK in Linux Version

by sab39

Friday February 15th, 2002 11:08 AM

I posted a response to this question on gnotices <http://news.gnome.org/gno…ews/1012948634/index_html> which shows how to make a build with this feature.

It's not turned on yet because it's incomplete: Since that post it appears that Toolbars have been enabled (see <http://bonsai.mozilla.org…/gtk/nsNativeThemeGTK.cpp> ) but that still leaves a lot of widgets (dropdowns, window backgrounds, menus, and probably other things I can't remember) to be added yet.

Personally, I hope it will be on for 0.9.9. But I'm not counting on even that - it depends how much time bryner gets to work on it.

Hope this clarifies things, Stuart.

(Btw, in response to the other poster, no, it's GTK1.2 not GTK2)

#22 GTK

by protomala

Monday February 18th, 2002 10:17 AM

Yes, I saw your post, that's how I knew it could be done by compiling the code. Let's hope that it goes to 0.9.9 because if it dosen't, the chances of getting in 1.0 will be almost zero. I personally don't like gtk mmuch (I like qt more) but native widgets are way better in terms of speed and memory consume. Hope someday a qt mozilla will be out, or that kmozilla works. Thanks for the info.

#23 Re: GTK

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday February 18th, 2002 6:23 PM

You're confused. There are no "native widgets". These are still XUL widgets that pick up the native theme backgrounds and such. This is a native _theme_ not native _widgets_. You're not going to see any positive change in terms of speed and memory.

--Asa

#11 I cant get on #mozillazine

by TkChris <tkmame@retrogames.com>

Friday February 15th, 2002 3:38 AM

Ever since February I get the follow error when trying to log onto moznet:

===*** Looking up your hostname... ===*** Found your hostname, cached ===*** Checking Ident ===*** Got Ident response ===*** Banned: Wingate proxy (2002/02/03 22.09)[ERROR] Closing Link: TkChris_[<chris@255.255.255.255>] (Banned)[ERROR] Connection to moznet (irc.mozilla.org:6667) closed.

Any ideas??? I used to have no problem at all getting on moznet :(

#12 Re: I cant get on #mozillazine

by dipa

Friday February 15th, 2002 8:41 AM

Did you try to disable your firewall?

#13 open proxy?

by niner

Friday February 15th, 2002 8:59 AM

I had some problem on Quakenet when I had a SOCKS proxy on my machine which accepted connections from everywhere. Seems like some IRC servers are checking for such open proxies. If you have to use a proxy try to configure it so that only your internal network can connect to it.

#14 BugDays

by Tanyel <tanyel@straightblack.com>

Friday February 15th, 2002 9:53 AM

When I entered the IRC forum, there seemed to be many people online but none of them were posting messages. It seemed dead. I doubt there is anything productive about "BugDays."

#15 Try joining during the afternoon

by jesse <jruderman@hmc.edu>

Friday February 15th, 2002 10:53 AM

It looks like you joined during the morning. #mozillazine wasn't very active on Thursday morning, but it picked up around noon or 1 and stayed active until pretty late.

#18 Re: BugDays

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Friday February 15th, 2002 1:07 PM

Try between 1PM and 8PM PST (GMT-8 I think). There is actually quite a bit productive about BugDays and dozens of people showed up to take part in it.

--Asa

#19 Bug Day elimination results

by SubtleRebel <mark@ky.net>

Saturday February 16th, 2002 10:44 AM

I was curious if anyone had kept track of how many dupes, obsolete, and invalid bugs were closed during the recent Bug Days.

I realize that Bug Days is also just as much about clarifying existing bugs, but I was wondering what kind of direct effect it had on the overall bug count.

#20 Re: Bug Day elimination results

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Saturday February 16th, 2002 12:38 PM

More important than the resolution of dupes, invalid and worksforme bugs is that dozens of new contributors got involved with the process. My quick queries show about 350 bugs were resolved as dupe, invalid, and woksforme on Thursday and Friday. This is about 30% more than normal per regular day in Bugzilla. While that may not seem like much there are a good number of new folks working in Bugzilla than there were on Wednesday and that is the more important aspect of BugDays. Others may disagree but seeing as how BugDays were my creation over two years ago and the whole purpose was teaching people how to use Bugzilla I feel comfortable saying that we had a very successful couple of days.

--Asa

#21 Sounds good to me

by SubtleRebel <mark@ky.net>

Saturday February 16th, 2002 11:21 PM

Thanks Asa.

I realize that those numbers can not be used by themselves to determine the successfulness of the BugDays, I just wanted to know because the question had popped into my head and I do not like having a lot of unanswered questions floating around up there. :)