Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Released

Wednesday April 18th, 2007

Scott MacGregor of Team Thunderbird writes in with news of the release of Mozilla Thunderbird 2: "Thunderbird 2 is now available for download on Windows, Mac and Linux in over 35 languages. Thunderbird 2 offers easy ways to manage and organize your email with message tags, advanced folder views, message history navigation, find as you type, and improved new mail alert notifications. Thunderbird 2 also includes a refreshed user interface and support for Microsoft Vista.

"Thunderbird 1.5.0.x users will be offered Thunderbird 2 via software update at a later date. Those wishing to upgrade now are therefore advised to download and install Thunderbird 2 manually.

"The Thunderbird 2 features page has more details about the new features in Thunderbird 2. The Thunderbird 2 Release Notes have more specific information. The Rumbling Edge has a list of notable bug fixes in Thunderbird 2.

"We also want to extend a huge thanks to everyone in the MozillaZine community for their help and support with Thunderbird 2 over the past year. We wouldn't have been able to release Thunderbird without you. A special thanks to the awesome forum moderators who spend so much time answering questions and to the folks who help organize and participate in our weekly test threads here at MozillaZine."

#1 wouldn't install for me

by siliconglen

Wednesday April 18th, 2007 11:55 PM

Keep getting the error Error opening file file for writing \r\n\r\nmozMapi32.dll\r\b\r\nClick Retry to try again, or \r\nCancel to stop the installation. Upgrading from Thunderbird 2 RC on Vista

#3 Re: wouldn't install for me

by dichotomy

Thursday April 19th, 2007 5:33 AM

same problem upgrading staying with XP. Something gets corrupted so 1.5 stopped working. De-install and new install of 1.5 fails. De-install of 1.5 and clean install of 2.0 also fails.

#18 Re: Re: wouldn't install for me

by mmalaj

Friday April 20th, 2007 11:47 AM

The problem is the file mozMAPI.dll that for same reason is write protected. Go to the Thunderbird file program, and rename this file (it can't be deleted or rewrited) this will fix the problem ( it worked for me). Other solution I read is lo in Safe Mode and delete the file.

#77 "error opening file for writing" when loading

by sundiver

Tuesday July 21st, 2009 5:18 PM

I had the same problem. I went to the task list (control-alt-delete) and "processes" and ended the process "Quickcam.exe". Thunderbird then loaded fine.

#4 Re: wouldn't install for me

by dichotomy

Thursday April 19th, 2007 5:42 AM

#10 Regarding the new release of TBird, install woes

by TomatoQueen

Thursday April 19th, 2007 1:47 PM

our friends at slashdot have some experience with this problem, according to today's posts:

<http://slashdot.org/comme…e=thread&pid=18796695> talking about a possible problem with quickcam software stealing a .dll when installing TBird

If the release blurb is telling current users that we will be offered an update by software, then I think it behooves us to wait and NOT spend precious time fiddling about with the new release. A little patience goes a long way sometimes.

#12 Re: Regarding the new release of TBird, install woes

by ian2773

Thursday April 19th, 2007 3:27 PM

I had the same issue when upgrading from Thunderbird 2 RC1 to 2 final on XP.

I fixed it by renaming the mozmapi32.dll file to mozmapi32.bak, which then enabled me to run the install correctly with no errors.

That said, the final release is actually identical to RC1.

#11 Re: wouldn't install for me

by marciaqa <marcia@mozilla.org>

Thursday April 19th, 2007 3:22 PM

For folks having install issues on XP and Vista, can we get a little more info:

(1) Did you pave over an existing 1.5.0.x install? (2) Are you running as Administrator? (3) How do you launch Tbird, from a desktop icon, start/programs, etc (4) Did you install to the default directory, or to a custom directory?

Thanks in advance.

#17 Re: wouldn't install for me

by mmalaj

Friday April 20th, 2007 11:45 AM

The problem is the file mozMAPI.dll that for same reason is write protected. go to the Thunderbird file program, and rename this file (it can't be deleted) this will fix the problem ( it worked for me). Other solution I read is lo in Safe Mode and delete the file.

#2 proprietary Outlook/Exchange

by efa

Thursday April 19th, 2007 5:26 AM

need ability to use proprietary Outlook/Exchange protocol, to compete on Windows platform. Sad to say, but my company use an Exchange 2003 server, disabling POP3/IMAP4 protocol. Seems to me that all default installations of Exchage 2003 have POP3/IMAP4 disabled!

#6 Re: proprietary Outlook/Exchange

by sremick

Thursday April 19th, 2007 6:57 AM

I'm not so sure the goal is to compete against Outlook in the corporate Exchange environment. More like to compete with Outlook Express in the home/individual POP/IMAP environment (which it does very well).

I'm sure if Microsoft ever opened up the protocols so others COULD implement them, then you'd see more support from 3rd-parties. Since they won't, your voice would be more-productive directed at Microsoft.

Not that I wouldn't mind Exchange support, but it's not the Thunderbird team's fault that it's prohibitively difficult, and I don't feel it's really their primary focus anyhow to warrant them losing much sleep over it. Let those smoking the Microsoft crackpipe have their virus magnet of an flawed email app.

#9 MAPI support

by jaddle <jonathan.addleman@mail.mcgill.ca>

Thursday April 19th, 2007 8:08 AM

Even MS's non-outlook mail clients don't really support the exchange protocol! (MAPI). Entourage sort of half manages it...

Thunderbird could maybe do it in a similar way (Like evolution does), and get at least partial support, but I would really really hope that it is an optional (extension?) component, since the added bloat would be very unwelcome.

#19 Re: proprietary Outlook/Exchange

by Valen314

Friday April 20th, 2007 1:04 PM

IMAP is disabled by Default on Exchange 2003, but its just a click to enable it.

If your company has IMAP disabled, they probably dont want non-Outlook Clients on their network.

#5 installed fine here

by dirio49

Thursday April 19th, 2007 6:54 AM

i did a manual install. Downloaded the exe and installed it, no uninstall of the previous version. No errors

#7 Upgrading from 2.0RC1

by koriordan

Thursday April 19th, 2007 7:35 AM

Can you upgrade from 2.0RC1 to 2.0 using the Software Update tool?

#8 No need to upgrade?

by NikonMike

Thursday April 19th, 2007 7:43 AM

Shipping 2.0 appears to be identical to the RC1, at least diff of the Mac installers produced nothing. So you don't have to upgrade ;)

It's quite common that Mozilla products don't change between the last RC and the shipping version - quite remarkable in this industry I guess.

#13 Is it a XULRunner application?

by spage

Thursday April 19th, 2007 7:16 PM

The (great) Rumbling Edge list of changes has a bunch of bugs fixed under "XULRunner". So is TB2 the first big app to ship as a XULRunner application??!??!!! I looked for a libxul.dll or any file with "xul" in it under \Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\ and didn't see anything.

My in-place upgrade over Thunderbird 1.5 worked fine and everything great so far; the excellent "Remove Duplicate Messages" is incompatible.

Are there any obsolete directories and files from TB 1.04 and TB 1.5 that I can or should remove, or does the installer clean them all up?

#14 Thunderbird 2.0 Attachment Pane

by mikespa

Friday April 20th, 2007 8:28 AM

For my monitor and resolution the Attachment Pane is too high and takes up too much space. I have tried adjusting in userChrome.css with no effect. The tweak worked in 1.5. Any suggestions?

#22 Re: Thunderbird 2.0 Attachment Pane

by Karlosak

Saturday April 21st, 2007 6:38 AM

Have you tried setting 'mailnews.attachments.display.largeView' in Config Editor to false? A restart is needed for this option to take effect.

#24 Re: Re: Thunderbird 2.0 Attachment Pane

by mikespa

Saturday April 21st, 2007 11:11 AM

That did it. The size of the pane is now about the same as 1.5. Thanks. FYI adding info to the userChrome.css still makes no change.

#32 Re: Re: Re: Thunderbird 2.0 Attachment Pane

by savage_alien

Saturday May 5th, 2007 6:08 AM

Glad I decided to search here. This helped! The icons are smaller, but the height remains the same. I set the suggested mailnews.attachments.display.largeView to false under about:config -- is that where it should be done??? It's not too helpful if only the icons resize. :-(

#36 Re: Re: Thunderbird 2.0 Attachment Pane

by zachariah

Monday May 14th, 2007 5:00 PM

Thank goodness for your post. I was about to freak out!

#15 Thunderbird 2.0 Attachment Pane

by mikespa

Friday April 20th, 2007 8:29 AM

#16 TBird 2 - nice but incredibly sloooow

by dch36

Friday April 20th, 2007 9:20 AM

Hi. Just installed TBird 2: Nice GUI, much better than before ... but the app is slooow when opening mails that I had to uninstall TBird2 immediately - I cannot wait about 20 - 30 secs for display of a single (html)-Mail. Happy that I can easily fallback to TBird 1.5 ... it is much faster and works well. And all my extensions still work - TBird disabled all of them. Waiting for a 2.1 Version that must bring an tremendous performance improvement. Mozilla please HELP ! btw: I use a Pentium4 at 3.2 Ghz with 1 GB Memory and Win XPPro

#20 Re: TBird 2 - nice but incredibly sloooow

by spage

Friday April 20th, 2007 1:23 PM

I have 2200 messages in my inbox and TB2 displays all of them, including HTML ones, almost instantly. No slower than TB1.5.

I have slightly worse specs than you: AMD Athlon 3000+, 1GB, Win XP Home SP2.

Maybe you have a virus scanner or e-mail checker? If you use Alt-Ctrl-Del to view Windows Task Manager > Processes sorted by CPU, see if something besides thunderbird.exe chews up CPU in those 20-30 seconds. See if TB Mem Usage is really high (mine is 37MB).

TB2 immediately worked fine with all my messages, but it's possible your message info file is corrupt. See <http://kb.mozillazine.org…pplication_not_responding>

Get more help on the knowledge base and in the forums.

#21 very nice...

by ddr513

Friday April 20th, 2007 7:09 PM

Downloaded, installed and it's working great so far. Compliments to the Thunderbird team.

#23 stuff

by joschi

Saturday April 21st, 2007 10:31 AM

seems nice so far, i do miss that selecter that let you chose which messages to view, like all messages marked "important" etc... how are you supposed to do that now?

#25 stuff

by joschi

Saturday April 21st, 2007 11:15 AM

#26 stuff

by wsm

Saturday April 21st, 2007 11:36 AM

right click on toolbar to add it back through customize.

#28 Re: stuff

by joschi

Tuesday April 24th, 2007 8:54 AM

duh, why didn't i think of that... thanks, much happier now :)

#27 thecolosseum.co.nr

by GALAHs

Monday April 23rd, 2007 8:31 AM

Is it me or does Thunderbird 2 seem more responsive?

The menus seem to snap out much quicker and the actual start up seems to be quicker.

#34 Re: thecolosseum.co.nr

by Kramer

Sunday May 13th, 2007 3:58 PM

I have the same feeling. I'm running Mac OSX 10.4, 400MHz PowerPP, 650 MB RAM and TB2 is noticably faster that TB1.5. It loads emails more quickly and is more responsive on deletes and selctions.

Very cool!

#29 TB 2.0 issues?

by M_Lyons10

Tuesday April 24th, 2007 9:41 AM

I like the look and feel of TB 2.0, and the application does seem to start up a good deal faster than 1.5 did. I am having a number of issues though that others seem to also be affected by. I hope a fix is looming, as these issues really affect the useability of the application.

1) Message Filters don't work. When mail is received, they are not filtered, they are not taged as my filters dictate. If I go to Tools > Run Filters, nothing happens. I need to go into the Message Filters screen and manually run each filter. A number of people are having this issue, see here:

<http://forums.mozillazine…stsperpage=15&start=0>

The workaround or turning off the ability for the virus scanner to quarantine individual e-mails is just not a reasonable workaround.

2) The "+" sign next to addresses in the mail messages does not expand the list.

3) Opening messages is very slow. Not sure why this would be. 1.5 was soooo fast...

I really like Mozilla software, and regularly jump at the chance to try something new, but I REALLY miss my message filters... I hope Mozilla can get this straightened out and an update released as soon as possible...

#30 Re: TB 2.0 issues?

by RDL

Sunday April 29th, 2007 9:58 AM

1) The filter tagging/AV quarantine problem was enough to send me scurrying back to 1.5.0.10.

It is a serious regression since it affects people's use of email AV scanning and could persuade them to switch it off rather than running manual filters on input as well as output or, worse still, risk having entire mail files quarantined instead of single emails. Hence I hope to see an early fix in 2.0.0.1

That might be facilitated if everyone who had complained about the bug registered with Bugzilla and voted for it!

2) I wasn't impressed by having about 25% of my total menubar+toolbar occupied by the 'View' and 'Search' bars having to reside there instead of their perfectly suitable place in the TB 1.5.0.n thread pane. That forced me to turn my previously neat and usable menubar and toolbar into a tightly packed mess. If there was no time to put 'user toolbars' (Cusomize) in 2.n then the 'View/Searchbar' change should have been backed out or at least made optional.

3) I didn't see any performance problem.

#38 No means NO

by DerickShire

Wednesday June 13th, 2007 8:40 PM

No means NO

but to mozilla no means yes and yes means yes

UNtick "check for new on startup" and UNtick "check every" in server properties on an IMAP account and TB2 will try to check anyway!

when will no mean no?

#31 Thunderbird issue

by CLEVELTECH

Tuesday May 1st, 2007 8:22 PM

Thunderbird still has an issue with saved emails but now instead of getting the "c is not a registered protocol" when I open up a saved email, I now get thunderbird opening up another window of itself and the saved email does not open at all. I completely wiped thunderbird out of my PC, re-installed it again and tried opening up my saved emails and still the same issue comes up where I cannot open my saved emails using it. I've even made it my default email program and still having the same issue. Also, in the options window some of the options cannot be seen because the Window is improperly sized.

#33 Great

by veerakumar

Thursday May 10th, 2007 9:48 PM

Great I would try new version soon.

My urls... <http://veera.freehostia.com> <http://veera.aqsite.info>

#35 "Alert empty_messagePane" window appears @ startup

by Duncan <Lists@VieHie.com>

Monday May 14th, 2007 12:23 PM

When I first started Thunderbird I canceled out of the new account creation. Then later came back to create my accounts and Thunderbird has since started up with a window saying - "Alert" "empty_messagePane". I thought if I just filled out the account info and started using the program the window would resolve itself. However, it still persists at each start up. I have searched for a thread of a similar problem but found none. Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks!

#37 Display problem - overwriting (overstriking?)

by robrambusch

Friday May 25th, 2007 4:48 PM

I installed Thunderbird 2.0 and see an odd effect in the right-hand pane. I get what appears to be 6 emails being listed on 4 lines. It's hard to read but it looks as if the first message information is repeated as an overstrike on lines 2 and 4. Is this something anyone else has seen? If it isn't fixable, I'll need to retreat to version 1.5 but I thought I'd give you the opportunity to ask for whatever you need in order to troubleshoot the issue before going back.

Rob

#40 Re: Display problem - overwriting (overstriking?)

by gadaoman

Saturday July 21st, 2007 9:21 AM

I am having exactly the same problem as Rob, with overwriting. Has anyone come up with a fix?

Richard

#43 Overwriting

by pba51

Monday August 20th, 2007 10:43 AM

I'm having this problem also. Did you overcome it?

Paul

#41 Re: Display problem - overwriting (overstriking?)

by gadaoman

Saturday July 21st, 2007 9:47 AM

Richard

#42 Re: Display problem - overwriting (overstriking?)

by gadaoman

Saturday July 21st, 2007 11:46 AM

Richard

#44 Re: Re: Display problem - overwriting (overstrikin

by cliffy

Wednesday November 7th, 2007 10:14 PM

I'm having the same problem with the unreadable message list.

I think the guilty culprit might be the alternating gray bars. Here's a screenshot. .... Hmmm, no pic upload I guess ..... anyway, yeah, it appears to be overstriking. If I F8 to remove the preview pane, the lines are all readable. If I put the preview pane back on, the lines are all double-printed, like two lines written on top of each other. There also seems to be some alternating line pattern too.

Also, I notice that in the short second after I hit the F8 to turn the Preview pane back on, I can see that first, the message lines above get listed correctly, but then the overstrike gets superimposed on top as the screen finishes refreshing.

How can I turn off the gray bars? Maybe that would fix it. Is that in CSS or Chrome? What do I change?

thanks

#39 No means NO

by DerickShire

Wednesday June 13th, 2007 8:42 PM

No means NO

but to mozilla no means yes and yes means yes

when will no mean no?

#45 TB1.5 > TB2.0 Next to eachother

by misterm

Thursday November 15th, 2007 11:25 AM

Another 'good' story on installing Thunderbird 2 (version 2.0.0.9).

I allready had an installed TB1.5 so, when installing TB2 I chose a 'Custom install', then I simply changed the install-path to C:\program files\Mozilla thunderbird2\ (so i added a 2 to the path). I did the same for the menu-shortcut 'Thunderbird 2' and continued installing it. (I wasn't sure if it would work though).

After installing I started TB2 and it all worked mighty fine! (I have my mailfolders in another folder on another drive and TB2 configured it without any problems) It found all my profiles (5 accounts) and i have all my mail as they were within TB1.5.

So right now i am able to run both versions, but i'm sure i will be using TB2.0 from here on.

Great update Moz-team, thanks!