Full Article Attached Independent Status Reports Return!

Wednesday January 16th, 2002

David Boswell is back with an update on what's new with some of the MozDev.org projects, along with other independent efforts. Click the Full Article link to check them out.

#1 BrowserG

by dave532

Wednesday January 16th, 2002 1:16 PM

Why does every mention of BrowserG come surrounded with some really badly worded marketing hype? A bit more about what the product actually does would be nice. When I first read about it I thought it had integrated MSN, AIM, etc, but it hasn't.

#2 Re: BrowserG

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday January 16th, 2002 1:34 PM

I installed it and it seems to be a java desktop which embeds mozilla (or maybe just gecko) as a browser component. I haven't played with it too much though. It's pretty 'loud' design so I can only really use it for a few minutes at a time before I need a break :) If you want to find out what it does I suggest you download it and give it a try.

--Asa

#6 Re: Re: BrowserG

by dave532

Wednesday January 16th, 2002 7:43 PM

I did download it, but it was such a 'loud' design I could only bear it for 5 seconds, so I was hoping that someone else was brave enough to try it and give a report :)

At least it's an example of embedding mozilla into a java app.

#3 Weird Page layout

by TonyG <tony.gorman@blueyonder.co.Yuk>

Wednesday January 16th, 2002 1:45 PM

The article is all bunched up in the first quarte of the screen. Very weird

#4 What I really want to know...

by grayrest

Wednesday January 16th, 2002 5:02 PM

When will I get an .xpi for the spellchecker <http://spellchecker.mozilla.org> ? Inquiring minds want to know. That and Tranzilla are the two projects I'm interested in. Unfortunately, those seem to be the ones with the least documentation...

#7 Re: What I really want to know...

by dave532

Wednesday January 16th, 2002 7:50 PM

From bug 56301 is an XPI to install a spellchecker under Win32: <http://bugzilla.mozilla.o…hment.cgi?attach_id=63881>

I only got it working by right-clicking and saving the XPI to disk first (with an .xpi extension), then running it in Mozilla (drag the XPI icon into the browser window or use the open command).

#5 Damn! I knew it.

by sconest

Wednesday January 16th, 2002 5:16 PM

I knew that I should have released my getmoz script :)

#8 Re: Damn! I knew it.

by sconest

Thursday January 17th, 2002 8:01 AM

Here's mine:

It's a quick and (very) dirty script, I'm sure it will not work out-of-the-box on another machine but it's ok for me.

--- cut below here --- #!/bin/bash

MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR=~/mozilla-nightlies

todlfile=`wget --spider <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pu…-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz> 2>&1 | grep Length | cut -c 9- | cut -f1 -d[ | sed s/,//g ` if test $todlfile ; then if test -e $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz; then currentfile=`ls -l $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz | cut -f16 -d" "` if test $currentfile -eq $todlfile; then echo "No new build" exit fi rm $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-5.tar.gz mv $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.tar.gz $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-5.tar.gz mv $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.tar.gz $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.tar.gz mv $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-2.tar.gz $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.tar.gz mv $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.tar.gz $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-2.tar.gz mv $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.tar.gz fi wget -P $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pu…-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz> tar -xvzC ~/local -f $MOZ_BUILD_LOCAL_DIR/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz else echo No build available fi --- cut above here ---

Did I mention this is a very dirty script and that you use this at your own risk ?

#9 Less destructive/intensive getmoz

by riddley

Thursday January 17th, 2002 8:45 AM

I wrote a script similar to getmoz called newmoz that doesn't install mozilla system-wide, but rather local to your home directory. See <http://www.deadman.org/misc.html>

#10 Help us out, then!

by IriseLenoir

Friday January 18th, 2002 6:01 AM

To those who replied saying they made a getmoz script too, I've had the same reaction, but contacted Phil (author of mozget) and we're going to work together in making this a lot more than a dirty hack. The project is also going to be renamed getmoz (I used that name too and we agreed it's less confusing).

The new version checks if the installation directory is writable and prompts for root password only if it's needed (not yet availiable for download).

We've got lots of great ideas on how to improve this and we're still wondering which way to go, so now is the time to join if you want a say in orientation the project will take (integration in mozilla, xpcshell, install as XPI, menu in preferences to configure, cron jobs that regularly check if a new build is availiable, perl, ect...) We're especially wondering how to make this cross platform.

Mail me (Eric) at <irise-lenoir@sympatico.ca> or Phil at <pcryer1017@yahoo.com> if you're interested in helping out.

#11 mozget (soon to be getmoz)

by pcryer

Friday January 18th, 2002 8:52 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback on mozget (which will soon become getmoz) I've gotten many different suggestions and examples of improvements to the original script, and will be addressing them shortly. With Eric on-board, we're reorganizing the project, and will have many more ideas to integrate than before. If you'd like to contribute, please feel free to email us, or sign up on the mailing list that you can get to from the Projects site on Mozdev.

Also, thanks to David at Mozdev for his encouragement at the onset of this project. I knew it was a simple little script to start with, but since no one else had submitted anything, I thought I'd share it. In the future we want the script to be useful to all Mozilla users who want to QA the latest code.

Phil