OEOne Interview

Tuesday January 8th, 2002

Anonymous Coward writes: "CRM Daily has an interview with Eid Eid of OEOne where Eid discusses the "open source-based Internet and entertainment machine" built from Mozilla and Linux." We've played with the OEOne box, and it could be the coolest thing done with Mozilla technologies yet. Be sure to check them out.

UPDATE! Newsforge has posted an article about the OEOne computer. It talks about the easy of setup, and how Mozilla makes it the easiest Linux shell the author has every used.

#1 Very exciting news

by eiseli

Wednesday January 9th, 2002 7:05 AM

Wow! Have you seen the demo? They added thumbnail screenshots to the bookmarks and photos to the addressbook!

And on a sidenote: will this computer be shipped to Europe too? Just wondering...

#4 Answer from Eddie Vlasblom (OEone)

by eiseli

Wednesday January 9th, 2002 9:04 AM

Since I asked the question, here's the answer I got from OEone: ==============================================================

We would love to service Europe. We would have to know a bit more about your Internet Service Providers over there. If they are network or DHCP based it is not a problem, otherwise we would have to review this.

Also, the TV tuner would have to be reviewed since ours is NTSC based and most of Europe is POW. We would have to see if it is adaptable to POW or if we could get a POW TV tuner instead of an NTSC based one.

#6 Re: Answer from Eddie Vlasblom (OEone)

by AlexBishop <alex@mozillazine.org>

Wednesday January 9th, 2002 10:22 AM

POW? Never heard of it! Most tellies are PAL here. Some are SECAM but I believe most of Europe is moving over to PAL with the introduction of digital.

Alex

#7 Re: Re: Answer from Eddie Vlasblom (OEone)

by shin

Wednesday January 9th, 2002 12:03 PM

SECAM was the standard used by early color TVs in France. I believe it is/was only used in France, but now our TVs here have supported PAL/SECAM for some 8+ years, so a fair assumption would be that the targeted audience would be PAL only in Europe.

#14 It is PAL

by TonyG <tony.gorman@blueyonder.co.Yuk>

Sunday January 13th, 2002 12:08 PM

Also, I would love to buy one of these machines. Here in the UK I use a cable modem so that should be easy to acommodate. I gues the main issue might be pwer supply as we use 240 AC and weird 3 pin connectors.

What sort of information would you need about ISPs?

#2 Cool

by WillyWonka

Wednesday January 9th, 2002 8:21 AM

Cool, they use Mozilla and in the demo they are using my ISP. Ah, that explains it, OEOne is in Quebec.

#3 Hmm

by johnlar <johnlar@tfn.net>

Wednesday January 9th, 2002 8:35 AM

$800 dollars seems a bit pricy if you ask me. And 100 MB remove storage? Give me a break. Now if they gave you 20GB remote storage, that $800 wouldn't look quite so bad.

#5 Re: Hmm

by WillyWonka

Wednesday January 9th, 2002 9:11 AM

And that's american, even though the company is Canadian. I wonder if they expect Canadians to buy it?

#8 Re: Hmm

by RobertSoros <robert@soros.ca>

Wednesday January 9th, 2002 12:12 PM

Go back and read again, the machine does have a 20 gig drive in it... the 100 megabytes in question is remote server storage ... seems like a pretty good deal for $800... although it would be nice it was packaged with the crossover plugin and one of loki's games :)

#12 Re: Hmm

by RobertSoros <robert@soros.ca>

Thursday January 10th, 2002 7:07 AM

My bad, I incorrectly read what you said...

yes.. 100 remote storage doesn\\\'t seem like a whole lot but that sort of thing is available elsewhere..

#9 Ahh, I remember OEOne...

by wirehead

Wednesday January 9th, 2002 12:16 PM

I remember OEOne.. They were the ones who somehow subscribed me to a "Friends of OEOne" mailing list (Not sure how they got my address). Thankfully they killed the list before I could get around to unsubscribing.

#10 looks nice

by wvw

Thursday January 10th, 2002 6:51 AM

Though I think it\'s a little bit expensive. But maybe that\'s the price of \'Easy to Use\'

#11 looks nice

by wvw

Thursday January 10th, 2002 6:51 AM

Though I think it's a little bit expensive. But maybe that's the price of 'Easy to Use'

#13 Jay Lyman's quip settles the matter:

by hfx_ben

Friday January 11th, 2002 7:32 PM

"If Open Source Is So Great, Why Isn't Everyone Using It?"

I mean, like, ya know? Like, really? I mean, for real?

100 Meg "server side" storage <=> monitor 17" monitor purchase <=> 100 Meg storage

Yaa! Like, ya know, that's a match, i'n'it? And like, ya know, it's no lame browser!

#15 If they would release the software...

by CatamountJck

Monday January 14th, 2002 11:16 AM

I have no intention (personally) to go out and buy one of these systems but I\'d be very interested if they released the operating system/environment to the public

#16 internet appliance

by strauss

Tuesday January 15th, 2002 3:54 PM

Can it be that someone has not yet heard that the Internet applicance is dead?

What is the point of this product and who is supposed to be interested in buying it?