Mozilla 0.9.7 Released

Friday December 28th, 2001

In case you missed the news elsewhere, mozilla.org released Mozilla 0.9.7 last week. Release notes and builds are available on mozilla.org.

#1 Why are the JS options not in the nightly builds?

by simifilm

Friday December 28th, 2001 6:17 AM

To my big surprise I saw the new JavaScript options in this new Milestone. Why are they not in the nightly builds?

#3 Re: Why are the JS options not in the nightly buil

by sivax <johnryerson@sivax.net>

Friday December 28th, 2001 2:00 PM

that is exactly what i wanted to know

#4 because...

by Chucker23N <chucker@web.de>

Friday December 28th, 2001 4:01 PM

they didn\'t check it in to the trunk yet, that\'s it.

#15 Re: Off topic

by bandido

Monday December 31st, 2001 6:35 AM

It's included in the 12-30 nightly

#2 Why are the JS options not in the nightly builds?

by simifilm

Friday December 28th, 2001 6:26 AM

#5 MachV - what is it?

by jsgremlin <joshua@bluestarstudio.com>

Friday December 28th, 2001 5:26 PM

I've seen "MachV" mentioned occasionally. I thought I was pretty in the know, but I have little understanding of what this is.

#6 Re: MachV - what is it?

by DavidGerard <fun@thingy.apana.org.au>

Friday December 28th, 2001 7:58 PM

MachV is the Netscape codename for what will probably be released as Netscape 6.5. Go to the search page <http://www.mozilla.org/search.html> and enter "MachV" and see what pops up.

#7 Re: Re: MachV - what is it?

by thegoldenear

Saturday December 29th, 2001 1:45 AM

Tracking bug for Navigator team feature work for MachV: <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102472>

Tracking bug for scheduled deliverables for M_V0.9.9: <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=111246>

#16 Re: Off topic

by bandido

Monday December 31st, 2001 6:56 AM

The following bug report suggest that Mach V will be based on Mozilla 1.0 (read the summary field on the bug report)

<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=114552>

#8 New cursor sucks

by jonde <joona.nuutinen@pp.inet.fi>

Saturday December 29th, 2001 8:32 AM

It just don't like the new hand cursor, and would like to change it back to what it was. Has anyone got that legendary old Hand somewhere?

#9 Re: New cursor sucks

by jonik

Saturday December 29th, 2001 11:58 AM

Mozilla now uses the OS default cursor, and you can change that. See this bug for details: <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=112916>

#25 Re: New cursor sucks

by archen

Friday January 4th, 2002 8:24 AM

glad I'm not the only one who thinks so :) Having used Netscape since the 3.0 days, I felt a little betrayed by the sudden MSIE hand.

#10 mozilla -splash

by andyrock

Saturday December 29th, 2001 1:32 PM

mozilla -splash doesn't work for me (on linux) i thought it was fixed before 0.9.7...

i use 2001122108

AndyRock

#18 Re: mozilla -splash

by turi

Tuesday January 1st, 2002 10:43 AM

It works with 2001122821.

#11 OT: Mozilla for Homesite

by simifilm

Sunday December 30th, 2001 1:58 AM

According to the Homesite manual one should be able to use the Gecko Engine in Macromedia Homesite 5 for preview. Although I followed all the steps described, it didn't work. Did anyone make this work?

#12 Re: OT: Mozilla for Homesite

by Fabsi

Sunday December 30th, 2001 12:37 PM

The manual in Homesite is a bit unclear, i.e. not complete. Follow this guide: <http://www.allaire.com/ha…m?ID=9927&Method=Full> ..and everything should work fine.

Fabian

#14 Thanks

by simifilm

Monday December 31st, 2001 1:21 AM

It works. Thank you!

#13 Crashing when drag and drop onto personal toolbar

by fugaziman

Sunday December 30th, 2001 9:24 PM

When I drag a site from the address bar to the personal toolbar to create a quick link, mozilla crashes. I'm home for christmas so I wanted to try mozilla on an older machine. The specs are: Win 95b p 200 32 meg Has anybody else run into this problem. Otherwise this milestone has run great on this aging hardware. Thanks for all teh owkr mozilla developers.

#24 Re: Crashing when drag and drop onto personal tool

by turi

Friday January 4th, 2002 4:25 AM

This has been fixed today.

#17 Faster?

by ed_welch

Monday December 31st, 2001 5:52 PM

Does anyone know if the performance improvements mentioned in the status reports gone into this release?

#22 Most of them

by dipa

Friday January 4th, 2002 1:26 AM

All the improvements you see in nightlies are included till the day of "freeze" (this happens about one week before the milestone release, or earlier). After branching (the point at which trunk comes out of freeze), sometimes new features of the trunk (nightlies) are included in the branch, if they think it's worth the risk.

#23 branch date was Dec 17 (n/t)

by dipa

Friday January 4th, 2002 1:36 AM

n/t

#19 Can't open multiple windows on 0.9.7

by MrSnerg <snerg@start.com.au>

Wednesday January 2nd, 2002 4:54 PM

Anyone else having this problem? Using the 0.9.7 talkback build under windows NT I can't open new windows, only new tabs. CTRL-N never works, nor does File->New Navigator Window, nor does it work when java tries to open a new window, and launching a separate instance of mozilla or trying to use the profile manager while mozilla is already open also does not work. I tried creating a new profile from scratch (after reading through suggestions on bugzilla) and that didn't help. Oh yeah... I'm using NT 4.0 sp 6, 256MB RAM on a PII-266. Suggestions?

Cheers,

#20 Re: Can't open multiple windows on 0.9.7

by Jase <jase@mbnet.fi>

Thursday January 3rd, 2002 6:02 PM

Had the same problem. I had installed the new version on top of the previous one. I uninstalled mozilla and reinstalled it fresh. Fixed all my problems and got a nice speedup also.

#21 Re: Re: Can't open multiple windows on 0.9.7

by MrSnerg <snerg@start.com.au>

Thursday January 3rd, 2002 7:44 PM

Thanks! Worked great. Even remembered all my old bookmarks for me. It also does seem to work a lot faster.

Cheers,

#26 Re: Can't open multiple windows on 0.9.7

by Jase <jase@mbnet.fi>

Friday January 4th, 2002 3:49 PM

Yep, I was wondering why Mozilla ran a lot smoother for a friend of mine.. he had installed it from scratch. Probably a good idea to allways do a complete reinstall when a new version comes out:)

#27 nice

by Sparkster

Thursday January 10th, 2002 9:07 PM

I just downloaded this release and I really like it. Some minor things I don't like though, maybe someone can help me.

- I don't like splash screens. Is there a way to disable it in win32? - The tabs only show icons. This might be usefull for sites that have favicons, but many don't. There does not even seem to be an option to enable or disable tab names? Not sure if I like that or not or if it's a bug. - When enabling the option to open the site in a new tab when pressing CTRL+ENTER in the URL field, it seems to open it in a new tab even if I just press ENTER. - Nice to see that I can avoid popups, but it would be cool to have an "ask me" feature like Konqueror has cause sometimes a popup is needed.

CSS support is outstanding, unlike the IE6, which is a PITA for me right now.