Mozilla Branched for 0.9.7

Tuesday December 18th, 2001

Asa Dotzler writes: "Friday morning mozilla.org cut the branch for the next Mozilla milestone, 0.9.7. Work is now divided between the short-lived milestone branch and the development tip. Mozilla 0.9.7's ideal release date is this Friday." We'll let you know when the builds are available.

#1 Dynamic theme switching

by dave532

Tuesday December 18th, 2001 3:56 PM

Dynamic theme switching is in on the latest trunk nightlies (so unlikely to be in 0.9.7. However the speed of the dynamic speed switching is amazing, it's a major improvement over the speed it used to be back in the days of 0.8

Hopefully some hosting provider will be willing to help you out with your bandwidth worries. Would it not be possible to ask Netscape to let you host this site on the mozilla.org server or do you want to remain separate from Netscape/AOL?

#9 Theme switching/ XUL standards

by ckjnigel

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 12:26 AM

Cheez, the theme switcher really is nice! I think nothing will so swiftly speed adoption of Mozilla as a range of theme/skins for all user moods and personalities. I'm craving Toy Factory, Sky Pilot and hoping for a bootleg Aq, er ... Agua Mozilla. Is the XUL standard sufficiently established so that theme artists can reintroduce their designs?

#16 Re: Theme switching/ XUL standards

by WillyWonka

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 8:23 AM

"Is the XUL standard sufficiently established so that theme artists can reintroduce their designs?"

Doesn't look like it. There was a post in the newsgroups recently, which says that the xul just underwent some major rewriting. They removed a lot of xul tags that they weren't using and they are now using the new css properties -moz-border-colors and -moz-image-region (I think they are double borders and the ability to clip a smaller portion of a large image, to reduce ram footprint).

And another message says that the outliner (The tree widget used throughout mozilla) also had a syntax change to it.

So things are still in a state of flux.

#27 link to XUL API tracker bug

by tradervik <tradervik@mybc.com>

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 5:44 PM

For the curious, XUL stabilization has a tracker bug: 70753 (<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=70753>). Looking at the list, there isn\\\'t a whole lot left to do. In fact, all the changes look like additions which will maintain backwards compatibility except the \\\"trivial\\\" renaming bug and the tree/outliner bugs.

#32 Re: link to XUL API tracker bug

by WillyWonka

Thursday December 20th, 2001 7:51 AM

Nice link :)

Wonder if they accidentaly removed the link parsing code when disabling the other links on the site to reduce traffic.

#19 Re: Dynamic theme switching

by johnlar <johnlar@tfn.net>

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 10:11 AM

Hmm jsut tried it with 121803 build and it works great, except the menu bar stayed in classic theme when I switched to modern, is this a known bug, is it being fixed?

#20 Re: Dynamic theme switching

by thelem

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 10:50 AM

Its because of bugs like this that dynamic theme switching was disabled in the first place. I guess there are a couple still in there though.

#2 How much bandwidth does mozillazine generate?

by tseng_mike <tseng_mike@yahoo.com>

Tuesday December 18th, 2001 5:47 PM

Like the topic, how much bandwidth does mozillazine actually use monthly?

#33 Re: How much bandwidth does mozillazine generate?

by thelem

Thursday December 20th, 2001 7:56 AM

About 30gig, according to kerz.

#34 Re: Re: How much bandwidth does mozillazine genera

by SubtleRebel <mark@ky.net>

Thursday December 20th, 2001 8:40 AM

>About 30gig, according to kerz.

In what kind of time frame? 30GB a month or 30GB a day?

#3 cursor

by archen

Tuesday December 18th, 2001 8:05 PM

So at work today I got sort of tired of dealing with various bugs in .9.6, so I pulled a nightly. To my horror I found the "hand" icon that appears over a link looks like the one in IE. I haven't been keeping up on the details of Mozilla, but is this going to be the new default on the windows side?

And I'd like to add that using the page title as a file name for saving an html document is a BAD idea. Course as long as the mail client improves, I'll be happy :)

#6 Re: cursor

by shawnn

Tuesday December 18th, 2001 9:54 PM

The (now disabled) forums had some discussion on this. As I stated there - it is great to see the old Netscape cursor gone. It made the system feel old and cludgy. In my opinion, it was a very unnecessary differentiation.

But... if you liked it, simply download the old cursor and change your default setting in the Windows Control Panel.

#12 Re: cursor

by jonik

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 2:55 AM

#22 Filename

by sconest

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 11:02 AM

#4 Fetch builds.

by WillyWonka

Tuesday December 18th, 2001 9:03 PM

No fetch builds page? geeze your bandwidth must be really limited. I've gotten so used to going there and selecting the talkback builds.

#8 Re: Fetch builds.

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Tuesday December 18th, 2001 11:55 PM

you can get at all the daily builds from the BuildBar page. The links at the end of the comments point to the build directory where you can pick the zip builds or the stub installer rather than the full installer linked to in the BuildBar.

--Asa

#15 Re: Re: Fetch builds.

by WillyWonka

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 8:04 AM

I just finally got around to bookmarking <ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/latest> I liked the green on white text better than the ugly looking ftp listing :D

Of course, since I'm using mozilla, I could probably just style ftp listings... maybe I'll do it when mozilla 1.0 comes out. maybe.

#5 Is anyone giving this bug some "love"?

by baffoni

Tuesday December 18th, 2001 9:05 PM

One of the few bugs that affects me nearly EVERY day is Bug 95175 where opening an attachment from within email changes the name to the cache name, and not the file name. Is it just me, or does anyone else think this should be a little higher in the priority lists? Aside from this bug, the browser seems pretty darn fast and stable!

#7 Whatever

by Tanyel <tanyel@straightblack.com>

Tuesday December 18th, 2001 10:48 PM

I would like to know who this wretched Internet service provider is so I can warn people. What is the bandwidth limit? What was the original limit?

#10 Re: Whatever

by altera

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 12:53 AM

A quick whois mozillazine.org gives us this :

<http://localweb.com>

there policy :

<http://localweb.com/adti/virtual_hosting.htm>

This says: unlimited bandwidth, yeah right.

#11 Legal stuff

by altera

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 1:17 AM

Of course their legal paper says this :

XII. Bandwith Limitations

ADTI does not enforce any quota limits on bandwidth per client. However, ADTI reserves the right to revise this policy on a commercial basis. In the event the policy is revised, client shall have at least 30 days advance notice of such changes in ADTI’s policy.

I Wonder if they got 30 days notice....

#21 Re: Legal stuff

by thelem

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 10:57 AM

Hmm, I wonder if that is infact legal. There obviously are limits, though they are not set in stone, so in the UK a company could be done for false advertising (whatever their small print said). If, on the other hand, they had advertised *unmetered* bandwidth, than the hosting company would be providing what they say.

#13 Paypal International

by ogiesen

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 4:45 AM

Hmm,... I just went to PayPal because I wanted to make a donation, but if I understand the terms correctly, I would have to pay a 20$ fee to PayPal just to make my donation because I'm outside the US. Is this understanding of their terms correct? If so, couldn't you try to find another service that doesn't charge international users?

Oliver

#18 Re: Paypal International

by zipo13

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 9:14 AM

Hi, Im an international user and I just paid 5$ this morning. I pay stuff all the time using pay pal mainly for EBay auctions. What u need to do is create an account and enter your creditcard details. Then there is a long confirmation process and then you can use it to donate money or buy stuff with a small commition (because u r an international user) this commtion is less than a buck in most cases.

Itamar

#23 International users

by thelem

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 11:02 AM

I'm in the UK, and when I created my account a couple of months back, they charged me $1 on my credit card which was used to confirm my account (it had a password on the credit card statement). There have been no other charges at all as far as I am aware, in fact they gave me $5 for confirming my account.

If you use the following link to create your paypal account, then paypal will give me $5 when you confirm yourself. I'll send that money straight over to mozillazine. <https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=LA3XKLPYHAARW>

#14 Paypal International

by ogiesen

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 4:49 AM

Oliver

#17 Re: Paypal International

by eiseli

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 8:40 AM

I don't know... I have been registered at Paypal for several months now. I had to go through a process of identification (they first billed me 1$ and a number appeared on my credit card listing the next month, then I had to type in this number so they knew there's really somebody behind this account). But now I just made a 10$ donation and it worked. By the way, I'm also an international customer for them, since I am living in Switzerland.

#24 Paypal 20$

by ToAoM <j.houwing@student.utwente.nl>

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 12:31 PM

Those 20$ are when you have a Non-euro bank account, yet live in a euro-country. Otherwise you'll just pay $1,50 to activate (which you'll get back with a $5 bonus).

#25 Why's there no ads?

by leet

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 5:28 PM

I know ad money only trickles now, but still, why's there no ad on this site? It doesn't make sense to keep it ad-free, if that's what the intention is. We've got to pay for it somehow and I'd rather see an ad than paypal. After all most of we can't paypal every month, right?

#26 Mac Classic Branch Nightlies?

by TommyBee

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 5:36 PM

I'd love to help in the testing of the 0.9.7 branch, but so far no Mac OS Classic builds have been made available. A Mac OS X build has been available for a couple of days now. What's the holdup for the classic build?

#28 Re: Mac Classic Branch Nightlies?

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 6:25 PM

TommyBee, thanks so much for the offer of help in using/testing the branch Mac builds before we have a release. There are Mac classic builds available at <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pu…lla/nightly/latest-0.9.7/> but only in the "stub" installer form. I'm not sure what the delay on the full installer is but the stub should work equally well (and is even preferred by some). If you find something that really should be a 0.9.7 showstopper and it's not already listed at <119/3C21244B.8050300@mozilla.org>" rel="nofollow"><news://news.mozilla.org:1…<1244B.8050300@mozilla.org>> (or the latest post to that thread) then please email me and let me know. Thanks again for your help in testing.

--Asa

#29 Thanks, but...

by TommyBee

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 7:19 PM

Unfortunately the installer seems to think that over three and a half gigabytes of hard disk space is actually a negative amount and thus won't let me install. I've filed bug 116141 to report this.

#30 Re: Thanks, but...

by schapel

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 8:41 PM

That's bug 114550 <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=114550>

To me, this is a showstopper for the 0.9.7 branch. I'll send Asa a note.

#31 Re: Re: Thanks, but...

by TommyBee

Wednesday December 19th, 2001 9:14 PM

Thanks Steven. I didn't think the problem affected the trunk as well, as I had gotten a full install on December 10th with no problems. I've marked the bug as a duplicate and asked about the fix being checked onto the branch as well.