MozillaZine

Full Article Attached Mozilla Bug Week

Monday October 22nd, 2001

Many of you are familiar with the Bug Day's that we started a few years ago. Well, with the number of people wanting to help out skyrocketing these last few months, gerv@mozilla.org and others have decided that a bug week was in order. They'll be running it from Saturday October 27th to Sunday November 4th, and they'll have plenty of smart people on hand to help folks learn the bug system, learn how to use the various other web tools, and of course, learn some tips on how to contribute code to the Mozilla effort. Click the Full Article link to get all the details.


#77 Re: Learning from Mozilla

by Gerv

Friday October 26th, 2001 10:47 AM

You are replying to this message

> Pervasive immaturity is your leadership's biggest problem; <snip>

If I could pause you in mid-rant for a second, to clarify: my point was that "you need more professional accountability" is, on its own, a meaningless statement. Your list of accusations are simply wrong. You will, of course, put this down to "defensiveness" and "denying the truth" and "playing fast and loose with the facts", but I think your baseless accusations are far more indicative of your attitude than our problems.

What particularly irritates me is the way you assume you know exactly why Mitchell got laid off, and further (contrary to the evidence I see before me at meetings and on mailing lists every day) you assert she's no longer part of the project, and we are lying when we say she is.

> (Yeah, I know, saying that to guys in their twenties is pointless. Oh well.)

I don't know about where you come from, but in this project we don't assess people based on their age.

> You need resources. You will have to pay them.

Are you offering?

> The volunteer model does not offer adequate reward for serious QA and support work.

I disagree. I think we've done better for non-Netscape help in QA than in code. Netscape QA often admit they wouldn't have a prayer of triaging the incoming Bugzilla bugs without a lot of other help.

> that's the sort of thing technical managers give serious consideration to, if you can back up the numbers.

Your naiveity is almost amusing. Do you really think we can wander up to Netscape management and ask for ten people, and we'll get them? We can't even get the cash for a faster Bugzilla machine, and that software is a critical tool used by the entire unit every day.

> Not my job, dude.

But it is your job to criticise endlessly? Why not put that energy to better use. The amount of attention I pay to someone's comments on the project are in proportion to a) the number of helpful suggestions they offer, and b) the amount of constructive work (of any sort) they've put in so far.

> No open source project has every gotten to anything like a professional stage of development without large > amounts of professional compensation expended for the commercial benefit of a particular company.

I could name numerous counter-examples but, instead, I'll just ask you: why is it, per se, a problem that companies work on projects in their own interest, just as individuals do?

Gerv

Gerv