Full Article Attached Various Bugzilla Numbers

Monday September 17th, 2001

Asa Dotzler writes in with the news of bugzilla's 100,000th bug being filed. Rather than focus mainly on that, he takes a look at some of the more interesting numbers currently in bugzilla. Click the Full Article link to check it out.

#1 A couple more things

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday September 17th, 2001 11:25 AM

I have to say it again, Henrik Gemal has filed 1764 reports!! (in case it wasn't obvious, two of the top 3 reporters are not Netscape employees.) I think this is simply amazing.

I'm sure it's obvious to you all but just in case, remember that with 100,000 bugs (or there about) it is really easy to convert those percentages into rough bug counts. So for example, 26.3% Duplicates means that roughly 26,300 reports in the database have been Resolved as Duplicate. Also, to highlight another success of the volunteer community, the overwhelming majority of the Invalid, Worksforme and Duplicate reports were resolved by volunteers. --Asa

#6 Re: A couple more things

by macpeep

Monday September 17th, 2001 2:29 PM

I think a good thing to tell is how many of those 100K bugs are currently open - taken into account the duplicate percentage of 26.3 and possibly also the bugs that are actually RFE's. That would give people a pretty good idea what the current situation is. When most people hear about 100K bugs, they say "Yeah! damn.. Mozilla sure is buggy." I can already see MQ writing a sensational story about that. :)

#8 Re: Re: A couple more things

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday September 17th, 2001 4:13 PM

I did tell you how many of those 100K reports are currently open. Did you read the article <http://mozillazine.org/articles/article2020.html> ?

"About 18.7% of the reports in Bugzilla are still open (UNCONFIRMED, NEW, ASSIGNED, and REOPENED) issues."

My math isn't that great but by my calculations 18.7% of ~100K is 18.7K. You could also query bugzilla for this pretty easily. Also note that about 5.5% of the issues are reported against things other than the Mozilla application suite (also from the article). I think that the rough number for the suite is 16.5K and about 2.5K of those have some kind of enhancement flag. So my estimates here are something like 14K non-enhancement reports against the Mozilla application suite with about 10.5K reported against the Browser Products specifically.

BTW, all of this is just me running a few very rudamentary queries. Feel free to do some of your own and if you find interesting numbers post them here.

--Asa

#9 Re: Re: Re: A couple more things

by macpeep

Monday September 17th, 2001 11:38 PM

Ah.. Yeah, I did read the article but I missed that. My bad..

#2 obligatory MozillaQuest thread

by macpeep

Monday September 17th, 2001 12:30 PM

Well, I just thought I'd start the obligatory & traditional MozillaQuest thread here.. Thank you.

#4 Re: obligatory MozillaQuest thread

by jcf76 <jfleshman@hotmail.com>

Monday September 17th, 2001 12:41 PM

Y'know what? MQ sucks.

And magelo? Sucks. In fact, he's the suckiest suck that ever sucked.

(Just doing my part to keep the tradition alive ;) )

#7 Re: obligatory MozillaQuest thread

by Tanyel <tanyel@straightblack.com>

Monday September 17th, 2001 2:36 PM

Let it end here.

#3 Bug statistics

by hwaara <hwaara@chello.se>

Monday September 17th, 2001 12:33 PM

Wow, you got some real cool data there.

32,000 bugzilla accounts! That's just amazing. Shows how far our QA community has gone, and that our testing is of the highest quality.

Thanks to all the (volunteer) QAs out there, making our bugreports more useful and the database less crippled with duplicates!

#5 Let's not forget...

by asa <asa@mozilla.org>

Monday September 17th, 2001 12:58 PM

Let's also thank Netscape and other paid QA for their efforts (they kick ass in Verification of FIXED bugs as well as for writing and publishing the majority of our test cases). The QA and testing community has some great contributors, both paid and volunteer, all working together to make Mozilla better.

--Asa

#10 Pravda (USSR)

by Ilgaz

Wednesday September 19th, 2001 11:49 AM

This "news report" just shows how this "zine" shouldn't be considered as a news site.

Someone posts 100.000th bug thing to Slashdot, everyone b*tches about it than mozillazine makes a "news article" by Asa... Just fun, I have nothing to say except fun, my 3rd world english (hearing Asa?) isn't enough to say more...