Mozilla Firefox 2 Release Candidate 3 Available

Tuesday October 17th, 2006

Mozilla Firefox 2 Release Candidate 3 is now available for download. Users of previous release candidate builds can upgrade using the software update feature.

Release Candidate 3 includes several bug fixes resulting from feedback obtained from people using previous release candidate builds, and a few security and stability updates. For more information, refer to the Mozilla Firefox 2 Release Candidate 3 Release Notes.

#1 More stable then late 1.5.0.X versions...

by jabcreations

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 10:53 AM

I've been using Bon Echo up until a few days ago and upgraded to Bon Echo because of instability issues with 1.5.0.7 even after creating a new profile, maybe a favorite extension was screwing up but everything is pretty solid save for a rare crash or two in the past few days. Even if it's the first release of the spell checker (not as good as pasting a word in to Google but better then not having it!) Restore Session makes me wonder how we ever lived without it?

Firefox 2 and IE7 this month, I'd be giddy except for the fact that Microsoft still has not produced a XHTML browser. Maybe in 2015 we'll see application/xhtml+xml support?

#14 Firefox RC3 directory keeps opening up?

by jabcreations

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 8:42 PM

Firefox RC3's directory (folder) keeps opening up for some reason. Is there some sort of keyboard command to do this or is this a bug?

#2 3 problems in window.open()

by ccapeng

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 10:54 AM

1, The dependent attribute is not working anymore in window.open("url", "foo", "dependent=1"). Previously, I got response this feature was removed. But, I don't really see the point. First, what the FF solution of modal window? Second, FF2 should be have "dependent" work for trusted site. Now, I feel my design is downgrade in FF2.

2, In FF2, Open a pop up window with menubar. Then go to TB 1.5 and click a hyper link in an e-mail. Then new site open inside the pop up window. FF1.5 don't have this problem.

3, Try window.open() again. Let say fooWin = window.open(...). Then, click main window to sink the pop up window. Later on, I want to bring up fooWin. So, I do fooWin.focus(), but fooWin don't go to front.

I will try to post sample codes.

#15 Re: 3 problems in window.open()

by jilles

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 11:56 PM

Well, that's three more good reasons to never use pop ups. IMHO pop up browser windows are a usability problem and a sign of bad site design. I simply hate them. Most of the time I see that yellow bar appear that some pop up wants my attention I just leave the site.

Anyway, modal windows are a bad idea and I definitely don't want untrusted web sites to spawn them. So that takes care of point 1. Point 2 is easy as well: html has no concept of window ownership and the fact that you can mess up a perfectly good window by removing toolbars and menus does not really change that. So the behaviour of using the last active browser window for opening stuff is correct IMHO. 3 sounds like you are trying to implement a window manager in a browser script. I'm glad that is not supported by my browser, the web will be a better place.

So stop trying to do pop ups, please.

#16 Re: Title fields

by newjamie

Wednesday October 18th, 2006 4:21 AM

Some of us need modal windows in web applications, believe it or not. This would be a *major* issue if Firefox 2.0 was to do away with modal windows.

TinyMCE, the popular Word-like textarea replacement uses modal windows extensively and they are necessary.

#21 Re: Re: Title fields

by ruturajv

Wednesday October 18th, 2006 10:39 AM

#22 Re: Re: Title fields

by BenoitRen

Wednesday October 18th, 2006 12:17 PM

Web applications suck. Not everything has to be on the web.

#26 Non-web applications

by tepples <tepples@spamcop.net>

Wednesday October 18th, 2006 4:44 PM

As I understand it, an application other than a web application is a downloaded application. For a downloaded application, you have to provide it in versions for at least Microsoft Windows 32-bit, Microsoft Windows 64-bit, Mac OS X PowerPC, Mac OS X Intel, Linux x86, Linux x86-64. That's a lot of platforms, and smaller companies often don't have a lot of machines to test on. And if you don't want the user who just downloaded the program to see a big scary dialog to the effect "this might be infected" when trying to install it, you have to pay $500 per year per platform to get a digital code signing certificate, which is more expensive than SSL.

#30 Re: Title fields

by tsahi

Thursday October 19th, 2006 2:31 AM

mozillaZine is a web application. phpBB is a web application. wikimedia is a web application. every script that gives you dynamic pages is a web application. one example of a web application that can't live on the desktop, and needs modal windows, is the WordPress blog system. it uses a pop up to let the user add a link to a text, for example. i guess you could do it with a floating div that will mimic a window, but a real window will be much more natural.

#25 Re: 3 problems in window.open()

by ccapeng

Wednesday October 18th, 2006 1:21 PM

I have create a sample at <http://ccapeng.googlepages.com/ff2problemdemo>

The previous #2 happens both in FF 2 and 1.5 when both menu and toolbar display. Sorry about false report.

My point is that Mozilla only mentions new feature in the release notes. If FF2 is released like that, many and many web sites will have trouble . I have web application working great many years and I need to tell my customers FF2 is very secure product, but not backward compitable.

#31 Re: Re: 3 problems in window.open()

by ccapeng

Thursday October 19th, 2006 2:15 PM

I tried to find out any workout for ther window.focus().

I found 311956 in bugzilla <https://bugzilla.mozilla.…rg/show_bug.cgi?id=311956>

and mentioned to enable "Raise or lower windows" in advanced javascript settings.

Now, I can get my pop up window comes up again.

#33 Re: problems in window.open() and partial solution

by sbeni

Monday November 6th, 2006 9:31 AM

I had the same problem with my web application. The only (ugly) solution I found is to add the following line before calling window.open() with both 'modal=1' and 'dialog=1' features

netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege('UniversalBrowserWrite');

Executing this line of script, FF2 prompt the user to allow or deny this privilege setting (the dialog box message it's not so clear for a very 'basic' user)

This dialog box also contains a checkbox for "remembering the choice" that could be very dangerous if the user say "remeber" and then "deny" (another good question could be: is there any way to reset this setting?)

About the feature to bringing in front an opened window, I see that FF2 default javascript settings (options/content/enable javascript -> advanced) is "off", buty in FF1.5 was "on".

I hope to get a good workaround from people at mozilla as soon as possible.

#3 Whats new?

by thelem

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 11:00 AM

Is there a list of bug fixes since RC2 anywhere? Something I can search for in bugzilla maybe?

#4 Re: Whats new?

by aine

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 11:06 AM

#5 Where?

by tack

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 11:11 AM

Where on that page does it indicate what bugs have been fixed since RC2?

#28 Where?

by mozusernow

Wednesday October 18th, 2006 7:16 PM

Tack,

I believe this is the link referenced:

<http://en-us.http>://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/#issues

#6 control now behave differently

by BijuGC

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 11:26 AM

One annoying issue to me is each control now behave differently in "Windows Classic style". I have a suggestion to improve. see demo <https://bugzilla.mozilla.…/attachment.cgi?id=241607> (bug 355640) screen shot <https://bugzilla.mozilla.…/attachment.cgi?id=242026>

#7 3 problems in window.open()

by ccapeng

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 12:14 PM

I will try to post sample codes.

#8 Re: 3 problems in window.open()

by ccapeng

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 12:16 PM

I just try to refresh page; unfortunately, double post. Sorry about that.

#9 FF2.0 RC2

by mitrich08904 <mitrich08904@yahoo.com>

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 2:15 PM

I am just a typical user, not techo cognoscenti, and here is what I see:

I am very happy with 1.5.0.7 and plan to stay there until 2.o gets shaken out. Most of the comments I have seen to recent notes here about the RC's remind me of the computer camp atmosphere which pervailed for quite some time. !.5 is a very stable product, very useful to people who want a stable product. Let us know when we can safely install 2.0 losing absolutley nothing.

#10 Re: FF2.0 RC2

by spage

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 2:46 PM

mitrich08904, it's a Release Candidate, so it's very solid and shaken out. If it isn't, you can help out the project by reporting problems while there's a chance of addressing them. And FF 2.0 catches spelling errors like your "pervailed" :-)

(I've run Deer Park, BonEcho, and now Minefield nightlies and haven't "lost" anything in years, though occasionally I had to revert to a working copy.)

#11 Is Firefox RC3 spying on me?

by marknelkin

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 4:36 PM

I submitted this under RC2, but did not seem to get any interest. I will try again. Before I uninstalled Talkback, I found 28 tracking cookies under firefox default when running Spybot. Now that I have turned off Talkback, I have none. This suggets to me that Mozilla was tracking more of my computer use than I should have allowed. Am I wrong?

#12 Re: Is Firefox RC3 spying on me?

by schapel

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 5:53 PM

Those cookies are sent by websites, and would be stored by any browser. Talkback should not have anything to do with cookies at all -- it is a mechanism for reporting information on crashes back to Mozilla, and is entirely opt-in so it cannot "spy" on you without your knowledge. It's possible that websites were tracking your browsing habits by using cookies, but that's not Firefox or Mozilla spying on you.

#20 Re: Is Firefox RC3 spying on me?

by MvD

Wednesday October 18th, 2006 7:16 AM

The solution to spyware cookies:

#1 Disable cookies in the options menu. #2 Install the Cookie button/statusbar/contextmenu extension (<http://basic.mozdev.org/cookiebutton/>) #3 Enable cookies on a per site basis

Works great for me, I do the same with javascript via NoScript. If you encounter problems with using a website, just enable cookies and disable again (the website should set its cookies and won't bother you again).

#13 Top 500 crash

by navidazizi

Tuesday October 17th, 2006 6:37 PM

Can anyone else see the crash at sportsline.com (see <https://bugzilla.mozilla.…rg/show_bug.cgi?id=353286>)

#17 Microsummaries

by dummy00001

Wednesday October 18th, 2006 4:52 AM

Can anyone explain me the point of the feature? Especially considering that Ff trims long bookmark names when displaying them.

Instead of working on serious long standing technical bugs, they are adding useless stuff like that. From all improvements Ff2.0 is bringing, I hardly can highlight single "killer" enhancement. (*)

In all honesty, I'd rather say that Ff2.0 is maintenance upgrade with no regressions. Drumming about non-features make no good in the end.

(*) SVG might have that feature - but it was available long before 2.0.

#18 Re: Microsummaries

by leafdigital

Wednesday October 18th, 2006 5:11 AM

They are almost entirely useless. (Also I'm against microformats in general as I believe they're a hacked-together obstruction to progress toward a properly defined XHTML+namespace world.)

However you have to expect things like that with open source software. It's up to individuals how they spend their time - I would assume that nobody got paid to write microsummaries, they did it because they liked them. And since it's a feature that - while of almost no use - is sort of cool and helps keep Firefox popular with the Web 2.0 trendsheep, and also doesn't do any particular harm to the interface, there's no reason not to include it.

To give an analogy which might help if you're not a programmer, imagine that you notice a local school has a poor-quality wooden sign. You happen to enjoy carpentry, so you volunteer to make them a new sign for nothing. Although the new sign wasn't particularly necessary, it's still nicer. But then some ungrateful sod comes along and complains, 'But why did you just spend several hours on useless stuff like a new sign? The toilets need cleaning, you should have done that!'

Fixing somebody else's 'long-standing technical bug' (not your fault, not an area you're interested in) is pretty much like cleaning the toilets.

--sam

#24 Re: Re: Microsummaries

by tseelee

Wednesday October 18th, 2006 1:19 PM

That's a really good explanation. Thanks.

Unfortunately, with stuff like JS 1.7, it seems like sooner or later we'll be pushed to "upgrade" and lose a lot of my favorite extensions (come on, how many people will bother to keep rewriting their code?)

#19 Restarting Firefox

by narayanan

Wednesday October 18th, 2006 5:53 AM

The restarting firefox on addon install is good. But why is'nt restart firefox enabled for enabling/disabling/updating addons ? or is this feature reserved for future releases ? Wud be nice to have it as a generic feature under the File menu, not necessarily requiring a addon install to have the feature enabled.

#23 where is the automatic update?

by heizer

Wednesday October 18th, 2006 12:54 PM

I've installed RC2 just a few days ago by hand, and I thought there would be an automatic update to RC3, but I've started the search for updates manually and FF didn't find any. I even downloaded the channelchanger plugin and tried it on both beta and nightly channels, but neither found updates. Do I something wrong, or what is the point?

Thanks

#32 Re: where is the automatic update?

by narayanan

Thursday October 19th, 2006 11:22 PM

I got RC3 thro' automatic update on 16th/17th at my work PC. I dont even use the channelchanger plugin you mentioned. I had installed the RC2 from the 2.0 home.

#27 Clear Private Data

by mozusernow

Wednesday October 18th, 2006 7:07 PM

In Options, I opted to clear Browser History, Download History, and Cache, on shutdown. However, when I am prompted to clear Private Data, only Browser History and Cache are listed. Could this be a bug, and where can I check to see if it has been reported.

In Spell Check, any chance of making the red underline bold type? Those of us who are visually challenged, are having a problem seeing the current underline.

Thanks!

#29 Clear Private Data

by mozusernow

Wednesday October 18th, 2006 7:31 PM

I found several bug reports at BugZilla covering similar problems to mine, so it is definitely a bug.

#34 Javascript problem with appearance of page

by ashnicole04

Monday January 29th, 2007 7:24 AM

I am having a javascript problem with the appearance of a page my company created. When you load the main homepage of the site the navigation at the top is moved towards the left side of the screen. However, if you go to all the subpages it looks normal how it should. If you are on the main page and you resize the screen and then resize it back to full size, it then looks normal also. Does anyone know what would be causing this and how I can fix it?

The site is <http://www.danielsfund.com> if you would like to see what I mean.