Communicator 4.08 Is Out!

Tuesday November 10th, 1998

Joel Caris writes, "I'm sure someone has already notified you of this, but just in case, 4.08 is out. It looks like it fixes the privacy bugs and has all the 4.5 features. It's not on the Netscape download page yet, but is available through Download.com."

#1 4.08 = nice!

by tumbleweed <tumbleweed@tumbleweed.net>

Wednesday November 11th, 1998 6:14 PM

After one too many crashes with 4.5, I 'downgraded' to 4.08 - nice!

I don't know about what features it has compared to 4.5 (and when you consider the release notes still aren't up yet, I guess that's to be expected) - but it's certainly *much* more stable under windows 98. It's also available in a standalone version, which 4.5 is not. Interestingly enough, I noticed a feature that I didn't know was around yet (this may be its first appearance) - in the standalone, when you click on a standard mailto: link, it calls up my system default mail app! (THIS ROCKS!) Previous versions that I've tried did nothing when doing the same action - a real sore point for me. When did this feature show up? I stopped trying after awhile, so it might've been in there for some time now for all I know.

Also note: 128-bit encryption version of 4.08 is also now available. Question: is there a 128-bit encryption version of the standalone? I can't seem to find the 128-bit version on the FTP site - I guess because you have to go through the process of stating who you are and where you're from. After all that, I was only given the choice to download the 'complete' version (not even the 'professional' one).

As for stability, I've not been using it all that long yet, but so far, it's as stable as 4.07 (that is, ROCK SOLID). If you're having problems with 4.5, and 4.08 has the features you need, I highly encourage you to switch over!

Go Team! :)

#2 Re:Communicator 4.08 Is Out!

by Jerry Baker

Thursday November 12th, 1998 1:22 AM

4.08 is no different than 4.07 with the exception of the JavaScript security bug fix. You can thank C|NET for spreading the false rumour that 4.08 has the features of 4.5.

BTW - You cannot get 128-bit versions of Netscape browsers from the FTP. You must visit the download page at <http://home.netscape.com/download/>

#3 whoops, never mind...

by tumbleweed <tumbleweed@tumbleweed.net>

Thursday November 12th, 1998 9:59 AM

Methinks I was mistaken about that mailto: link business, too - I've not been able to duplicate it, so I dunno what else was going on at the time. Maybe I had IE running at the same time or something, and hit it in IE instead? *sigh* Oh well. :(

I've also had a crash in 4.08 (minutes after I posted that message here, in fact). So it's less stable than 4.07. Still, one crash in 4 days is pretty good.

I got the 128-bit security version of the standalone; I had to alter their download URL to get it from the download page (it wanted to give me 4.07), but apparently it IS available in standalone.

#4 Re:Communicator 4.08 Is Out!

by Ryan - New Zealand

Tuesday November 17th, 1998 8:48 PM

This is where Netscape can make a difference, Stability is important to any application...now the that Mozilla is Open Source, development of less buggier code is possible. 4.08 is doing well :) keep up the good work!

#5 Re:Communicator 4.08 Is Out!

by Ryan - New Zealand

Tuesday November 17th, 1998 8:57 PM

I Just discovered a bug in Netscape 4.0x Linux regarding pasting. select any text, copy it paste it with SHIFT-INS ...lo-behold, crashed :/ I was a fond lover of SHIFT-INS(paste) under winblows but it seems Netscape hates it.

#6 Re:Communicator 4.08 Is Out!

by Jeff Read <bitwize@geocities.com>

Wednesday November 18th, 1998 3:13 AM

To Ryan in New Zealand: Why don't you try using The Alt-X,C,V keys or the middle mouse button to copy and paste text? The Shift-Ins keystroke has been deprecated in WinDoze since version 3.1 with the introduction of the Mac editing keys anyway.

#7 Re:Communicator 4.08 Is Out!

by ghghghf

Friday November 20th, 1998 9:04 PM

why does shift-ins crash the unix browser when netscape doesnt use it?